1.    #1  
    does the web distribution have enough of a following to post a trial version of a software application?

the paid version of my application has been up for about 2 weeks, it's a fairly expensive app at $9.99 (Poker Session Tracker) and I've had a few requests for a trial version before they plunk the $9.99 for a full version. But for poker players, it's well worth it.

However, I'd rather not pay another $50 submission fee for the application to be visible in the catalog.
    I'm not a developer or programmer, but as a consumer, I've trial versioned all sorts of programs that simply timed out after the designated trial period, and if I wanted to buy it, all I did was contact the developer, made payment, and a registration key was provided to unlock the program. It didn't require a second submission, or posting of a seperate program?

Out of curiosity is this different for you folks as developers?
    I'd submit the trial version to the web feed then put something like 'For a free trial version, hit the developer site link below' in the description of the full app. Then you can just put the web-feed link on your website.
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay69 View Post
    I'm not a developer or programmer, but as a consumer, I've trial versioned all sorts of programs that simply timed out after the designated trial period, and if I wanted to buy it, all I did was contact the developer, made payment, and a registration key was provided to unlock the program. It didn't require a second submission, or posting of a seperate program?

Out of curiosity is this different for you folks as developers?
    With webOS (or any closely controlled distribution system--i.e. mobile phones), this is not accepted easily. It is particularly difficult for webOS, because unless you develop it entirely in C or C++, anybody can remove the license check code.

Also, all payments for apps must be through Palm approved channels (i.e. App Catalog) if you're making a webOS app. It says so in the SDK Terms.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    you can hack compiled programs too... Just google it. Almost every windows program on the market has been cracked to remove or fake-out the registration and/or drm systems. The real question is how big is the concern. You say anyone can remove the license check code but really it's more or less the same group of people that know how to remove the license checks from hardcoded apps. The average user doesn't have the slightest clue where to even start. And you can always integrate the drm code with essential app code so that disabling it requires rewriting large chucks of code instead of just deleting a few lines...
    Quote Originally Posted by unfairSurprisery View Post
    you can hack compiled programs too... Just google it. Almost every windows program on the market has been cracked to remove or fake-out the registration and/or drm systems. The real question is how big is the concern. You say anyone can remove the license check code but really it's more or less the same group of people that know how to remove the license checks from hardcoded apps. The average user doesn't have the slightest clue where to even start. And you can always integrate the drm code with essential app code so that disabling it requires rewriting large chucks of code instead of just deleting a few lines...
    Well I know, but the point I was making was that it is easy for "just anybody" to do on webOS. For example, a "cracker" could make a patch to remove the license code and viola, its gone.

But I was simply saying it was quick and clean to do on webOS and that they might as well not bother with a full-featured app using time-expire or "enter code to unlock full potential" systems, as they're pointless with webOS.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Aren't free apps free to post to the app catalog, or is that ONLY ones that have the code open source?
    only open source. Doesn't have to be free either.
    @arthurthornton there are tutorials on the internet for cracking applications... Just google and wade through the usual crap... Judging by what I saw most of them look easier than trying to teach an average user code basics so they can root their pre, download your app to their computer and edit what, to them, looks just as confusing as editing memory addresses or a c app that's been run through a disassembler.

Sorry, I'm just sick of hearing how easy it is to pirate webos apps when the simple reality is that its only easy for US to pirate webos apps. To a vast majority of users even doing something as simple as putting preware on their phone is too taxing...