Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Hi! I'm working on a jogging app (JamWam Jog) and I'm looking for some beta testers. It's a server based jogging app that sends all of your stats to a web server so you can review the route and stats later. If you're interested (and would use it while actually jogging), register here:

jamwam.com / jog <-- can't post links yet

Once you're registered, I'll e-mail you a link to download the app needed. I'm looking forward to getting some feedback and bug fixes from the community. Thanks!!!
    Sounds very interesting!
    I hope your app will also allow to check the stats on the device!
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Right now you can view stats as you jog. You can also view a summary when you're done. I haven't built an interface to browse previous jogs on the phone. You can do all of that on the web and I hope to add that to the app eventually. Give it a whirl and let me know how it works for you.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    For those who are interested, I attached a screenshot from the WebOS app and from the web page. Hope to see you in the beta test soon!

I signed up but am having trouble getting the actual app. When i input my number on the palm webpage for the app it never gets to my phone. I have tried several times.
    You can open the link directly on the phone, it will open the app catalog!
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Looks sharp, I'll do some beta testing for ya. jog/walk at least once per day. just registered on your site
    Last edited by pieler8; 05/24/2010 at 09:05 AM. Reason: add
    It does look pretty sweet, just downloaded and I'll try it out tonight. I tried others and had issues with getting the to work correctly so I'm excited about trying and helping out with this.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Thanks for the replys. Can't wait to get some people using the app to see what needs to be fixed/improved/removed.

Not sure why the link isn't working. I agree with the previous reply, just try opening it directly on your phone. That should open it in an app catalog view.

smile4them: what type of issues have you had? I know some people have had issues with the actual GPS hardware getting a fix. Unfortunately there's not too much us developers can do about that. We're at the mercy of the hardware and the api. Let me know if this app works for ya.

Thanks!
    It worked great for me! I'm not a HUGE runner, but i can't see how having this app on your pre, along with pandora is not a slam dunk for a runner... assuming you have the right case to run with of course. And then to see your course laid on google maps... what a great app. Will keep you posted on my thoughts as I use it. Love this app!
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    onmymarc: Thx for taking it for a spin. Glad it worked out for you. Please send feedback if you have anything specific.

Also, everyone feel free to pass the link along to your WebOS friends. All they have to do is register on the site and a download link will be sent to their email for the app.

Jamwam Jog

-Kirk
    Quote Originally Posted by kkye View Post
    smile4them: what type of issues have you had? I know some people have had issues with the actual GPS hardware getting a fix. Unfortunately there's not too much us developers can do about that. We're at the mercy of the hardware and the api. Let me know if this app works for ya.

Thanks!
    Well with the other apps, I had problems with consistency. I was only able to get the GPS to work only a few times on one of them like other users. Whenever it decided to work, the calculations of my distance ran was inaccurate by a half a mile to a mile so I just stopped using them.
    Quote Originally Posted by smile4them View Post
    Well with the other apps, I had problems with consistency. I was only able to get the GPS to work only a few times on one of them like other users. Whenever it decided to work, the calculations of my distance ran was inaccurate by a half a mile to a mile so I just stopped using them.
    Are you on VZW? If so, they are crippling the aGPS functionality.

If you aren't, make sure GPS is enabled (mine somehow got disabled today..) and if that doesn't help, try rebooting..
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    this looks awesome. Headed to download now.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Are you on VZW? If so, they are crippling the aGPS functionality.

If you aren't, make sure GPS is enabled (mine somehow got disabled today..) and if that doesn't help, try rebooting..
    What he said. I've heard that on VZW you can run the nav app in the background and it'll force a gps fix for other apps too.

Also, my app won't work unless it has pretty good accuracy. As with most jogging apps, it makes you wait until you get a certain amount of accuracy before it allows you to start.

Let me know how it works for you.
    So far it has been working great for me. GPS is spot on (Sprint).

My only issue is the calories burned. I realize it is an estimate but it told me i burned 457 calories while walking for 28 minutes. I was stationary for about 15 of those minutes sitting down.

Any way to input a 'profile' on the web which can take height, weight, age in order to better estimate calories burned?
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeh20 View Post
    So far it has been working great for me. GPS is spot on (Sprint).

My only issue is the calories burned. I realize it is an estimate but it told me i burned 457 calories while walking for 28 minutes. I was stationary for about 15 of those minutes sitting down.

Any way to input a 'profile' on the web which can take height, weight, age in order to better estimate calories burned?
    Thanks for taking it for a spin. The "calories" burned is very much a work in progress. I plan to add more options for a more accurate calorie count including the ability to attach a current weight to each jog. That way it knows that you were 190 last month and 185 this month and calculates calories for last month's jogs different than this month's jogs. I will also look into including additional profile information to help the calorie count be more accurate. Problem is, the calorie counts are never going to be perfect but obviously right now it's way off. Thanks for reminding me to get that on my list!

Any other issues? Do you think I should add a "pause" button? I've thought about it but also thought it may be easier to just detect when the user stops moving. Allow the user to view a "moving avg speed" and "moving pace" as well instead of allow them to pause their jog.
    I personally wouldn't use a pause button but some people might. If your target audience is runners then they probably wouldn't need to pause. However, If it isn't a hassle it might be a good option to have just in case (mainly for walkers or circuit training/sprints)

I definitely understand the calorie counts won't ever be spot on but good to hear you have a road map of features.

No other issues so far...i will report back with more info as i go along. Thanks for the community involvement and great work!