Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    is there a way developers could tell us anonymously some statistics on their app businesses? For instance how many apps=how much money annually, etc etc. I would love to know what kind of income I could expect when I get an app in the catalogue. I know its all relative to how successful the app is and all that but maybe there is a range that we an determine? Like, the lowest profit level for 1 paid app is 100 dollars annually, and the highest paid guy/ company is 20000 annually,for example. I wouldn't expect ppl to tell with their names attached unless they want to, that's why I ask if there is a way to do it anon.
    Quote Originally Posted by prequan View Post
    is there a way developers could tell us anonymously some statistics on their app businesses? For instance how many apps=how much money annually, etc etc. I would love to know what kind of income I could expect when I get an app in the catalogue. I know its all relative to how successful the app is and all that but maybe there is a range that we an determine? Like, the lowest profit level for 1 paid app is 100 dollars annually, and the highest paid guy/ company is 20000 annually,for example. I wouldn't expect ppl to tell with their names attached unless they want to, that's why I ask if there is a way to do it anon.
    Do you app, publish it, and share your numbers, if you want. The revenue you can expect may vary from -50 USD to infinite. How many money do you earn?

Sorry, but the only way to know if your app is a success is to start selling it...
    The thing is you just answered your own question. It's all relative to how successful the app is. Create an innovative, elegant app and it should sell itself.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  4.    #4  
    thanks for the non-responses both of you. Not at all helpful.
    I put a free app in the catalog and got one donation. That is with over 8,000 downloads and a rating like 4.5 stars.

Now I have just put a paid app in the catalog for $0.99, so we will see how it goes. I'm already getting comments about charging for it. Who can't afford 99 cents? A cup of coffee costs more than that. I probably won't be making any more free ones, since people don't donate. I didn't mind doing the first one for free, since I was learning.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    for that, im not buying ur app
    .:jIbMo:. (biatch)

Sprint Palm Pre, previously Moto Q9c, Moto Q

Palm is da bomb, don't hate!
    They gave you the best responses possible. The main thing that will determine how much money you make is how good your app is.

Here is the range of money you will make/lose:
    -$50 to $infinite

Simple as that
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    I put a free app in the catalog and got one donation. That is with over 8,000 downloads and a rating like 4.5 stars.
    Is your free app ad-supported?
  9.    #9  

Now I have just put a paid app in the catalog for $0.99, so we will see how it goes. I'm already getting comments about charging for it. Who can't afford 99 cents? A cup of coffee costs more than that. I probably won't be making any more free ones, since people don't donate. I didn't mind doing the first one for free, since I was learning.
    >>this was the sort of reply I was looking for. Thank you. OBVIOUSLY I know that it depends on the app. I said that in my question. What I was askng for was IF the was a way to know anonymously. Useful info is: that there are hardly ANY donations when you submit a free one. Instead of getting attitude decorvette you could have said nothing or 'i don't know'.
    i think it would be better to ask for some pointers on being successful in the app catalog. there's a patch you can get in preware that will give you download stats for apps in the catalog. you can use that to estimate how much revenue devs are getting. apply this tactic to apps in the hotapps competition and you'll get an idea on how well the best 221 paid apps are doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    i think it would be better to ask for some pointers on being successful in the app catalog. there's a patch you can get in preware that will give you download stats for apps in the catalog. you can use that to estimate how much revenue devs are getting. apply this tactic to apps in the hotapps competition and you'll get an idea on how well the best 221 paid apps are doing.
    The download count accessible via the patch (or on any of the app catalog websites) is not an accurate indicator of an app's financial success. This count indicates all downloads of the app, including updates. If the app has been updated several times, the download count will be much higher than the actual unique download count.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  12.    #12  
    good to know it exists tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    The download count accessible via the patch (or on any of the app catalog websites) is not an accurate indicator of an app's financial success. This count indicates all downloads of the app, including updates. If the app has been updated several times, the download count will be much higher than the actual unique download count.
    theres a patch that tells you how many downloads and app has in the app catalog !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->

Wow...that's scarry and what was the app?

I'm looking at two projects myself and can only see releasing something for free if it helps my cause in the Hot Apps contest. Either way, I'm running out of time even for those options.

Sorli...
    I'm looking at two projects myself and can only see releasing something for free if it helps my cause in the Hot Apps contest. Either way, I'm running out of time even for those options.
    Releasing free apps can also help get you known. Plus you can use simple free apps to advertise your paid apps. For instance, make an app you want to sell, then make something stupid that a hundred thousand people will download just for the fun of it(i.e. the doughboy app) and then put a splash-screen plug for your paid app on the free one.

And don't ever forget in-app purchasing. Giving out a base app for free and allowing for paid add-ons has been one of the most successful business models in mobile apps to date.
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Wow...that's scarry and what was the app?

Sorli...
    See my sig for the free app, or visit the "DevelopersNice" subforum in the developers forums.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  17.    #17  
    some very helpful stuff here. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by unfairSurprisery View Post
    Releasing free apps can also help get you known. Plus you can use simple free apps to advertise your paid apps. For instance, make an app you want to sell, then make something stupid that a hundred thousand people will download just for the fun of it(i.e. the doughboy app) and then put a splash-screen plug for your paid app on the free one.

And don't ever forget in-app purchasing. Giving out a base app for free and allowing for paid add-ons has been one of the most successful business models in mobile apps to date.
    True so true and I suspect many people are like me...money is real tight and it is hard to purchase anything besides the bare necessities even when it comes to $.99 apps. Yes it is a tough call and .99 cents may not sound like much, but the apps I need and would purchase come in above $5 and money goes quick $5 and 10 at a time.

I plan to show some support for those that are doing work I need and hopefully everyone else here agrees with me...June 6th Anniversary - Support your Developer or otherwise.

Sorli...
    True so true and I suspect many people are like me...money is real tight and it is hard to purchase anything besides the bare necessities even when it comes to $.99 apps. Yes it is a tough call and .99 cents may not sound like much, but the apps I need and would purchase come in above $5 and money goes quick $5 and 10 at a time.
    Too true. Interesting isn't it? How easy it is to grab a 1.09 candy bar at the corner-store when it's such a wrench to shell out .99 for an app you'll use over and over. All the time, companies like Zynga are making a fortune selling points to purchase pointless items for facebook games...
    Yes I don't get the Zynga purchases...but then I don't play farmville or otherwise and get lost on the whole concept.

You are correct about spending on items like $1.59 Starbucks coffee, which comes and goes quick. Need to reevaluate my priorities and stop wasting money on useless crap.

Sorli....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast