1.    #1  
    Hi Guys,

I'm a Linux/Unix n00b. I've attempted to install Optware & Dropbear/OpenSSH manually, but all of the links are broken (probably since they're available on the Preware catalog). In all of the manual tutorials, creating a user account for authentication is covered. Since I can only install using Preware catalog, how does one create the user for the authentication process?

To help you guys help me, here's where I'm at so far:
    Successfully Rooted into device (installed MyTether)
    Successfully reached authentication screen using Putty SSH (OpenSSH is currently installed). I'm asked 'login as:' but can't get past authentication because I havent created a user account, or dont know the default credentials.

Thanks guys!
    You are following this wiki page correct?
    Application:OpenSSH - WebOS Internals

From my understanding, you don't need a username. You install OpenSSH, use Terminal to create a private key, transfer the key to PC, alter it to work with Putty by using PuttyGen, then add the key to Putty.

Make sure you follow the Generate Keys from webOS Method

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    What desktop OS are you running?
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    All blogs and forum posts are always out of date.

Follow the wiki page documentation only: Application:OpenSSH - WebOS Internals

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  5.    #5  
    I appreciate the feedback, guys. Abyssul's link in much more in depth than the few tutorials I was able to find. When I hit the Pre via Putty SSH, I get a message stating this server does not have a key, would I like to cache one, etc. I think the fact that I have not made a key might be my issue. I'll get back to you guys once I try it using a key.

For reference, I'm running Win7 Pro x64
    I have Win7 Premium x64 so I know it should work. If you have any questions, then don't hesitate to reply.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.