View Poll Results: Would you use this app if it existed on WebOS?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

83 93.26%
  • Maybe

3 3.37%
  • No

3 3.37%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Hey all,

So I recently put in a personal app request but found out that there was some wider interest in the app and have been asked to put this thread here so here it is.

The app is one that will backup your sms messages as threads to a Gmail label of your choice. I used to use this app on my old Android phones and it seems it would be a great addition to WebOS. So let me explain how the Android version works exactly:

This is the app:

You simply sign in with your gmail details, username and password.

Settings:

After backup:

And in your gmail it creates a label based on what you want to name it from the app, so mine is sms:

It automatically threads your conversations by sender, up to 200 in one conversation.

In Android it can just run in the background silently, not sure how it would work on WebOS without the card always staying open.

App Homepage
    App Source Code
    Android .apk download (Direct link to installation file)

I'm not even close to being a developer, installed the SDK and PDK but I'm not sure what to do with the source code or anything at all

I will be happy to donate and I'm sure others will be too if an app is successfully ported over.

So go ahead devs, do your magic
    Trovatore and lor226 like this.
    I'm not a developer, but I love this idea and would use this app.
    This would be pretty cool, I also wish I could import my sms's that go directly to my phone and do not go through through google voice, to be backed up there as well, but for something like that it would need to retext I think as there is currently no other way unless google implements it.

I wish i could do what I did with my voice mail and have it forward to google voice for it instead of sprint which would only work if sprint implemented it.

But I am just one voice so I doubt it will ever happen. I will just be happy when google voice starts working on mms messaging, which I hear they are working on.
    sms auto reply/forward does that for me now for me I put my google voice as the auto forward number
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Thanks for the support guys, I think efforts should be focused on getting the most basic functions running first, i.e. a straight port from Android to WebOS and prove that this could work

Also, mamouton, you have to remember that there are a lot of us WebOS users outside of the US who don't have GV so can't get that functionality, and even in the US people who don't have GV. This could be a universal solution for SMS backup and archiving (fully searchable through Gmail).
    Trovatore likes this.
    This functionality seems more like a patch rather than an app to me... Maybe if it was included in the patch request section it might get some reaction.

Gx
    this looks like an awesome idea. I really hope someone can develop this especially with the pdk being released soon. I need a way to backup these damn texts lol, with it being done through my gmail that would work out perfect!!
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Good to know that's one more person who's interested
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    sms auto reply/forward does that for me now for me I put my google voice as the auto forward number
    One item on my list is to figure out how to forward texts to an email address without prompting the user to send. I suspect it is similar, but since you are likely to have multiple email accounts it is probably a bit more complicated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffinx View Post
    This functionality seems more like a patch rather than an app to me... Maybe if it was included in the patch request section it might get some reaction.

Gx
    How could you say patch when it is an obvious app in the android market?

Please don't answer that as I am just being a grouch.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    How could you say patch when it is an obvious app in the android market?

Please don't answer that as I am just being a grouch.
    Cheer up!

I don't know the inner workings of WebOS but I would assume that it would be an app not a patch, and I'm not sure whether the auto back up would be doable but I'd be happy if I had to open the app a couple of times a day or once a day and do a manual backup...
    Quote Originally Posted by i_maq View Post
    Cheer up!

I don't know the inner workings of WebOS but I would assume that it would be an app not a patch, and I'm not sure whether the auto back up would be doable but I'd be happy if I had to open the app a couple of times a day or once a day and do a manual backup...
    I agree, because as of now I have have cron setup to so my repetitive jobs for me. This way all i would see is the app pop up and then card to background, and once done go away.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    This way all i would see is the app pop up and then card to background, and once done go away.
    That sounds good
    So many cool apps to write, and so little time...
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Perhaps a financial incentive would move this app up developers' timetables...?
    Quote Originally Posted by i_maq View Post
    Perhaps a financial incentive would move this app up developers' timetables...?
    might...

Requests around here die pretty quickly unless you give money or know what you are doing. So here is a bump to get it more attention and maybe some donates for your cause.

Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Sounds a fantastic idea for an app i would use.

As its stands in the UK, my SMS's are backed up to O2's Blue Book, but they're not threaded and they only show the number they are from not the contact.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Sounds Great!! I would buy for sure!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast