View Poll Results: Would you use this app if it existed on WebOS?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

83 93.26%
  • Maybe

3 3.37%
  • No

3 3.37%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    I would love this app, how can we start a fund to help for development?
    Last edited by jcren001; 06/24/2010 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Brain and fingers not on the same wavelenght, spelling
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Not quite sure, any suggestions? Guessing a Paypal pot which we all throw stuff into and the first person to develop a fully working release which ticks all the above boxes gets the reward. Then they are free to carry on developing and adding other features after that?
    I haven't replied again (I think I replied..) because I have nothing new to add. Sending to email automatically is something I am looking at as a future enhancement to my app, which would cover much of what you're asking for. The mail API itself is very simple, but there is (at least) one more critical item I have to hunt down, which is getting the internal id of the default mail account, which is required on the call. I have a lead on it that I haven't had time to explore, but I have other items I have to knock off first.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    I would love to do this for you guys, but, I have no idea how to
    A) Read existing SMS.
    B) Capture incoming SMS.

I don't believe there is functionality for that within the webOS SDK.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I have a lead on it that I haven't had time to explore, but I have other items I have to knock off first.
    Sounds good, looking forward to see if you can come up with anything
    Quote Originally Posted by acidhax View Post
    A) Read existing SMS.
    B) Capture incoming SMS.

That doesn't sound too good, would be good to get confirmation of that.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acidhax View Post
    A) Read existing SMS.
    B) Capture incoming SMS.

The Pre Backup Utility copies the SMS files so they can be transfered to a harddrive then added to a new phone. I would imagine that how to read existing SMS would be in that program.
    well... not really. PreBackup just copies the whole PalmDatabase file, where almost all data from the internal apps is stored.
    The Save/Restore app is more promising, it extracts the SMS and puts them in an HTML file.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    I guess at this point the Backup SMS to Gmail app wouldn't have restore functionality, as there are other ways of doing that, this would only be used to archive your messages as they come in so they are searchable in your Gmail. Trying to find an old text on my Pixi is almost impossible! If universal search covered sms's that would be an ideal solution.
    can I bump this?

would webos 2.0 help development of this app/patch?
    Due to reading this topic, I've been reading up on the android app for a few minutes and have scanned through the source code.

It seems to me that android provides wide access to the com.android.email service. From what I can tell the app first gains read/write access to the 'sms' labelled folder:

Code:
    imapStore = new ImapStore(String.format(Consts.IMAP_URI, URLEncoder.encode(username),
                        URLEncoder.encode(password).replace("+", "%20")));
                folder = imapStore.getFolder(label);
                folderExists = folder.exists();
                if (!folderExists) {
                    Log.i(Consts.TAG, "Label '" + label + "' does not exist yet. Creating.");
                    folder.create(FolderType.HOLDS_MESSAGES);
                }
                folder.open(OpenMode.READ_WRITE);
    then it writes the messages to the folder:

Code:
    Log.d(Consts.TAG, "Sending " + messages.size() + " messages to server.");
    folder.appendMessages(messages.toArray(new Message[messages.size()]));
    The bad news of this is that WebOS doesn't provide near enough access to email functionality to auto-send mails, never mind providing file i/o style access to the server through IMAP or otherwise.

It's possible that through exploring the source code of the WebOS email service that you could expose extra functionality but it's a long shot and also very unlikely without having to modify the service.

I suppose the email services capabilities may be expanded with 2.0 but we'll have to wait to see on that front.

Anyhow, it's not entirely impossible but you'd need something like a webserver and mailserver, and an API to do the middle-work (accept sms posts then mail them to an account). Considering how expensive it would be to maintain it's not really a viable solution.

That's all I have for now. I'll keep thinking on the problem in the mean time.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Semprance, thanks for your feedback, looking forward to any ideas you come up with!
    Well I was kind of thinking: why use Gmail? Considering the required functionality, or in the case of WebOS the lack thereof, it would be better to use something with an API that can be accessed via AJAX, such as Google Docs. This would also allow for better formatting and organisation of conversations if necessary.

I'd be more willing to attempt that than an email sync.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Well the Gmail sync works well, it integrates the label into your mail, essentially putting ALL your messages (sms AND email) in one searchable place (for those of us who use Gmail as our main mail service). But if you have an idea for something more workable or effective we're all ears
    Well, I've tried firing various service requests for the messaging service and all but the one that is listed on the palm development site (which I think only allows you to open the messaging program) but they all send back a permission denied error. So, in a nutshell, it's not possible through standard development means.

However, the guys over at WebOS Internals have put together some shell scripts (perl and python mostly) and there is one that allows some access to sms info:

PalmDatabase.db3 File - WebOS Internals

...although I'm not sure how much access, or how safe it is. Using it goes a bit beyond the scope of my knowledge (I know alot of php but no python or perl) so it'd be up to someone else to develop around the scripts.

Hopefully in the future palm will allow some sort of secure access to peoples sms (although its unlikely).
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Well most of what you're suggesting goes beyond MY scope of knowledge! I'm not a developer by any means, I'm familiar with that db, but only because I regularly back it up and use it to restore my sms's and call log when I wipe or get a new device. I'm sorry I can't give you much useful feedback or help you bounce back ideas because I simply have no knowledge of coding or developing :-/
    That's no problem, I'm posting this stuff because I think the app is a good idea - there's certainly a lot of demand - and if there's another dev out there who wants to attempt to code it then maybe they can use this information to aid development.

If not then maybe when 2.0 rolls out, if some of the restrictions have been lifted I can give it a try myself.

In the mean time, you seem to have a fairly solid back-up method anyway. The only downside is that you can't browse your sms/call-logs but it beats not backing up at all.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Yes that's true, but searching over 4000 messages in one conversation is out of the quesiton, I get tired just scrolling up past 200!
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Bumpity bump, any developments? ^_^
    Hi!

I'm also interested in such kind of app. I think i would pay about 10 to 15 $ if it's in app market.

Doesn't need to be gmail backup though - *eml format export to usb drive would be enough.

Cu, Etosch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast