1.    #1  
    Android can be ported onto multiple platforms aiding in its popularity.

WebOS can to and would help palm, however iv'e been having difficulty having it accept htc drivers and divorce the OS from palm hardware to allow me to port it as either a primary or dual boot OS on my hero. Can any1 aid in this discussion?
    Quote Originally Posted by Icecold1100 View Post
    Android can be ported onto multiple platforms aiding in its popularity.

WebOS can to and would help palm, however iv'e been having difficulty having it accept htc drivers and divorce the OS from palm hardware to allow me to port it as either a primary or dual boot OS on my hero. Can any1 aid in this discussion?
    You may have to rewrite the drivers, as webOS is debian based and I am not sure what Android is based on.

Also, doing this will in NO way help Palm out, considering they don't get paid when you install the OS on a NON-Palm device. They get their money from devices, not from apps ATM, nor from the OS.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Based on Linux kernel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia chances are it could be ported. But to get it to work right it would need some work.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    You also need something to cover for the absence of a gesture area.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    the screen is bigger on alot of devices so basically it would have to be set to a certain ratio to leave enough space to mimic the getures.. But this is a awsome idea if I cld have webos on the evo I'd *** my pants...... O wait just did
    Quote Originally Posted by sitonacid View Post
    the screen is bigger on alot of devices so basically it would have to be set to a certain ratio to leave enough space to mimic the getures.. But this is a awsome idea if I cld have webos on the evo I'd *** my pants...... O wait just did
    webOS on the EVO would be extremely difficult.

1. COMPLETELY different processors (compared to how iPhone, Droid, and Pre have same proc) -- requires highly modded kernel
    2. COMPLETELY different CDMA chips (EVO has a WiMAX chip that would need a driver written for it, not sure about other chips)
    3. webOS isn't written for WiMAX capability and most likely can't support it at this time
    4. Needs new drivers for screen (output), capacitive sensor (touch; input), NAND flash (potentially different driver needed), HDMI mini (output), battery (potentially), etc.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup