Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Given the removal of gDial Pro from Homebrew and the App Store as well as the complete dearth of decent Google Voice apps for WebOS, I can only assume that developing such an app must be quite difficult. Can anyone explain why?

I looked around the Google Voice site, but there isn't much there. I did suggest that they (Google) provide an app for Palm and also signed the petition at PetitionOnline, but I'm not very optimistic about the results. I might take a stab at it myself if there was more information available. I have done web development (though my JavaScript knowledge is kinda sparse), so I'm not sure how well I could do even if there was documentation for the GV APIs.

I really like WebOS (though the Pre hardware is a bit lacking). That said, I've pretty much come to the decision that if there isn't any better GV integration for WebOS by August (when I'm eligible for a phone upgrade), I'm going to get an Android phone.

Is there any hope for GV on WebOS?

~ Jay.
    P.S.: This @#!*% forum won't let me post links to the Google suggestions page or the petition, because my post count is too low. You'll have to search for them if you want to add your suggestion/signature.
    you can use the web based google voice on yoru phone's brower. it calls out, plus texting etc. gdial pro works to call out if u uncheck the web based dial.
    Search through PreCentral's articles about Gdial to find out why Google Voice development hit a brick wall.
    http://www.precentral.net/gdial-pro-...ogle-voice-api

Got bored and decided to search it for you.
    do the notifications for voicemails still function using gDialPro?
    Do the text messages come through the data side or the phone side? Is it possible to use google voice with dumbphones?
    Doesn't the newer version YouMail have some google voice support?
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    @isosunrise: Every time I try to use the web-client to dial out, it tells me that this is not a free call, and that I will be billed $0.xx per minute, but when I dial my GV number and call from there, it's always a free call. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

@Abyssul: Thanks for the link. I had heard some about why Gdial development was halted (mostly on the PalmCast), but I'll read that post and see if it has any answers.

@rdethree: I've never gotten any notifications through Gdial, just the regular email notifications.

@whitenack: You can control whether you receive TXTs via SMS or email or both in your Google Voice settings.

@Banger: The instructions to setup YouMail with GV sounded very convoluted, so I never tried it. I may look into it though.

I really hope that someone (preferably Google) can write a good WebOS app for GV. It's really the only thing missing for me. I'm just not sure it would be worth it to switch to Android; I'm afraid I would miss more than I would gain.
    Can I have a Google Voice Invite. Please. Thank you.
    Yeah, I don't now what to do with my Google Voice account now. gDial doesn't work that well anymore and I don't know how well YouMail works with Google Voice.
    davincibz, pm with your email & i will give you an invite.
    Quote Originally Posted by becrazy2 View Post
    I did pm u . I appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by becrazy2 View Post
    Do you have another?
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVINCIBZ View Post
    Can I have a Google Voice Invite. Please. Thank you.
    yeah me 2!!! could i plz have an invite??? plz plz plz??? thx!!!
    I've got an invite or 2, first to PM me wins.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    FYI the youview app simply allows u to forward Google voice messages to the youview drop-box for your account. you then get a new voice-mail on youview as if it were a regular voicemail.

No text/dialing etc supported........but it works well and the setup really is not too difficult to do.
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by hofs1 View Post
    FYI the youview app simply allows u to forward Google voice messages to the youview drop-box for your account. you then get a new voice-mail on youview as if it were a regular voicemail.

No text/dialing etc supported........but it works well and the setup really is not too difficult to do.
    Also, as best as i can tell, YouView is able to be used with Google Voicemail message, but will only show you the first line or so of the Google Voice transcription. I have resisted buying the App because of this. For now, I get an email and txt message from google voice when i get an email, and I have set a "speed dial' for the "g" to call my GVoice number to check my messages. for now, this works perfectly for me.

Adam
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Also, as best as i can tell, YouView is able to be used with Google Voicemail message, but will only show you the first line or so of the Google Voice transcription. I have resisted buying the App because of this. For now, I get an email and txt message from google voice when i get an email, and I have set a "speed dial' for the "g" to call my GVoice number to check my messages. for now, this works perfectly for me.

Adam
    That's exactly what I do. A couple of gripes I have tho:

1) It would be nice if we could map the voicemail button in the phone app to whatever number we wanted to, so we could map our Google Voice number to it.

2) I like the look of the newer Google Voice mobile web page, but you can't PLAY YOUR VOICEMAILS from that page! You can read the transcription (which always is terrible) but there is no PLAY button to actually listen to your message! You have to go to the older version of the web page to find a link to "play message". On the Google Voice pages that talk about the mobile site, screenshots do show a play button if I recall, but for some reason it does not show up in the Pre's web browser. STUPID. Even the youtube video that demonstrates the mobile website on the iphone shows the play buttons and stuff at the bottom. They just don't show up in the Pre's browser. I have contacted Google about this but nothing has ever come of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by keenah View Post
    yeah me 2!!! could i plz have an invite??? plz plz plz??? thx!!!
    You shouldn't need an invite any more. It's been opened to all.

Google Voice Blog: Google Voice for everyone

I'm hopeful that google has opened up the APIs as well so that we don't need to own an android phone to take advantage.
    Twitter: dullgeek