1.    #1  
    $100 each to the top 10 downloaded open source homebrew apps and patches!

The development of open source homebrew applications and patches has been critical to the success of the webOS platform, especially in providing open, reusable source code examples for developers to learn from and bootstrap their applications.

Yet the existing Hot Apps program from Palm does not show any love to those developers. And it does not even start to recognise the awesome work that many developers have put into creating Patches for our devices.

So WebOS Internals is going to use some of the generous community donations we have received recently to share the love and distribute $100 each to the top 10 downloaded open source homebrew applications and patches.

Now, some of you may be saying "But the top 10 open source homebrew applications are all created by WebOS Internals!". Well, we know that's not the case, but to remove any doubt about our intentions, we are going to exclude from the contest any author who has already received a "Devices for Core Devs" unit (this immediately excludes just about all WebOS Internals applications, services, patches and packages). See http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2444835 for the list of developers who have already received such devices.

The contest will finish at the same time as the telethon that is currently happening at http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-telethon.html (i.e. 9pm EST / 6pm PST on Friday, May 14) and the winners will be announced on Monday May 16. Payment of the prizes will be done only by PayPal (winners must be able to nominate a PayPal account to receive their prize).

The top open source homebrew applications will be determined by the Total Downloads counter in the PreCentral Homebrew App Gallery, for those applications which are listed today as open source applications (note that Creative Commons, No Derivatives licensed applications are not eligible, since they do not support the open source principle of being able to create derivatives from the source code) and by the download counts from the ipkg.preware.org web server logs.

The top open source patches will be determined by download counts from the ipkg.preware.org web server logs. All patches in the webos-patches feed are eligible.

Those two sets of download counts (apps and patches) will then be combined into a single list, and the top ten items on that list will win the prizes.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 05/11/2010 at 10:00 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I am VERY excited to see the results!
    1) The whole reason for the "telethon" was to THANK webOS Internals and the homebrew community, so I am not sure excluding them is needed (though I appreciate what you are doing for appearances)

2) If you stick to the exclusion, might I suggest the contest be limited to any NEW apps created by these folks (defined as available since Jan '10, or some other date?)
  4.    #4  
    The current eligible leaders (based on all-time total downloads from the PreCentral homebrew feed) in the open source homebrew applications section are:

63,341 PreLoad
    62,097 Preopoly
    50,761 Destroids
    50,655 drPodder
    50,022 My Notification
    49,730 Battery Monitor
    44,310 Simple Bible
    26,942 BreakOut
    25,552 pReader
    23,852 Battery Saver
    19,701 BlockChalk
    19,443 WxRad
    18,697 Drugview
    18,655 Keyring
    18,328 Geocaching for webOS

Some other open source homebrew leaders that are not eligible due to their authors already receiving a developer device from WebOS Internals worth $150+ are:

177,386 Preware (figures to Jan 2010 only so far)
    110,625 Virtual Keyboard (figures to Jan 2010 only so far)
    66,441 SysToolsMgr Service (total all-time downloads)
    42,031 Blocked (total all-time downloads)
    19,890 Reversi (total all-time downloads)
    18,389 DOOM (figures to Jan 2010 only so far)
    14,964 Quake (figures to Jan 2010 only so far)
    10,588 Terminal (2009 figures only)

For a sample of open source patches, the figures for 2009 only are:

31508 screen-lock-enable-led-notifications
    27717 top-bar-battery-percent-and-icon
    27377 email-enable-landscape-email
    27122 app-launcher-4x4-icons-v3
    26180 browser-multi-mod
    26035 messaging-audio-video-attachments
    25712 phone-match-state-to-area-code
    25456 top-bar-add-date-mm-dd
    24202 app-launcher-enable-add-delete-pages
    22710 messaging-enable-landscape-messaging
    21995 phone-call-duration-in-call-log
    21804 camera-capture-with-volume-keys
    17357 messaging-enable-forwarding
    15095 misc-unthrottle-download-manager
    13859 youtube-video-downloads
    11946 messaging-sms-tone-per-contact
    11117 mojo-smiley-faces-in-symbol-box
    11071 app-launcher-hide-nascar-app
    10281 phone-enable-dialpad-vibration
    10216 app-launcher-unhide-dev-mode-icon

This last set of figures will obviously increase as we process the web server logs for 2010.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 05/12/2010 at 12:51 AM.
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Just to be clear: The top 10 open source Homebrews AND the top 10 open source patches? Or just 10 total, meaning 5 and 5?
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    Can't wait to see the final hot apps & patches and total monies raised!!!!

Digg my story http://digg.com/d31Qenl?tto help raise $$$ & awareness for webOS, Palm Pre, HP.

#WebOS Internals "Telethon"#Palm Pre http://bit.ly/7q1Mc
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    Just to be clear: The top 10 open source Homebrews AND the top 10 open source patches? Or just 10 total, meaning 5 and 5?
    At the moment, it's the top 10 items (from a mixture of apps and patches, based on total all-time downloads).

But if the telethon hits it's $5K goal by Friday, we will extend it to 10 of each.

-- Rod
    This is really cool. Thanks owed to WebOS Internals again!
    Just for curiousity's sake and curiosity's sake alone...

What are the top ten as of today?

I think it's awesome that you guys decided to share the love
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    At the moment, it's the top 10 items (from a mixture of apps and patches, based on total all-time downloads).

But if the telethon hits it's $5K goal by Friday, we will extend it to 10 of each.

-- Rod
    The telethon well and truly hit it's goal, so we will be awarding 10 apps and 10 patches for a total of 20 x $100 = $2000 in total.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 05/16/2010 at 08:56 AM.
  11.    #11  
    The Open Source Homebrew Hot Apps and Patches event has now finished, and the results have been calculated based on PreCentral download counts, and ipkg.preware.org server download logs.

Here is the final top 10 list for open source homebrew hot apps:

DNQ 441,587 Preware (author received dev device)
    DNQ 96,234 Emergency Patch Recovery (author received dev device)
    DNQ 69,474 SysToolsMgr Service (author received dev device)
    #1: 63,654 PreLoad
    #2: 62,271 Preopoly
    #3: 50,904 Destroids
    #4: 50,865 drPodder
    #5: 50,205 My Notification
    #6: 50,044 Battery Monitor
    #7: 44,326 Simple Bible
    DNQ 42,103 Blocked (author received dev device)
    DNQ 40,409 Luna Manager (author received dev device)
    DNQ 36,444 Quake (author received dev device)
    DNQ 32,658 Terminal (author received dev device)
    DNQ 28,819 VisualBoyAdvance (author received dev device)
    DNQ 26,848 DOOM! (author received dev device)
    #8: 27,027 BreakOut
    #9: 25,604 JSTop
    #10: 25,574 pReader
    #11: 24,096 Battery Saver
    #12: 22,858 MyFlashlight

Here is the final top 10 list for open source homebrew hot patches:

DNQ 336,860 Virtual Keyboard (author received dev device)
    #1: 124,300 4x4 Icons v3 (app-launcher-4x4-icons-v3)
    #2: 107,577 Unthrottle Download Manager (misc-unthrottle-download-manager)
    #3: 106,622 Enable Landscape Email (email-enable-landscape-email)
    #4: 102,513 Audio/Video Attachments (messaging-audio-video-attachments)
    #5: 101,788 Multi Mod (browser-multi-mod)
    DNQ 98,699 Video Downloads (author received dev device)
    #6: 96,448 Battery Icon and Percent (top-bar-battery-percent-and-icon)
    DNQ 95,994 Enable Add/Delete Pages (author received dev device)
    #7: 94,821 Enable LED Notifications (screen-lock-enable-led-notifications)
    #8: 94,160 Match State to Area Code (phone-match-state-to-area-code)
    #9: 90,828 Hide Nascar App (patches.app-launcher-hide-nascar-app)
    DNQ 90,610 Call Duration in Call Log (author received dev device)
    #10: 87,792 Add Date - MM/DD (top-bar-add-date-mm-dd)
    #11: 81,735 SMS Tone per Contact (messaging-sms-tone-per-contact)
    #12: 76,286 Enable Landscape Messaging (messaging-enable-landscape-messaging)

I've listed 12 finalists in each category, just in case there is a protest upheld and the results have to be adjusted accordingly. Note that "DNQ" means "Did Not Qualify" based on the author already being the recipient of a developer device worth over $150.

If the original authors of the top 10 open source homebrew applications and top 10 open source homebrew patches would like to contact me by DM from your PreCentral account that is listed as the author of the app or patch, giving me your PayPal address, then I will transfer your $100 prize. If there is more than one person who claims authorship of an application or patch, then the prize will be shared amongst the verified authors.

All decisions are final, no correspondence will be entered into

I will list the final authors and the amounts awarded in updates to this post.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 05/16/2010 at 08:48 AM.
  12.    #12  
    We have sent 4 out of 20 of the prizes to their recipients:

kmax12 - Breakout - $100
    Jappus & retrobits - pReader - $100
    drnull - drPodder - $100 (donated back to WebOS Internals)
    azakus - JSTop - $100

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 05/20/2010 at 08:35 PM.
    I know this is off topic but I have a request. Could you please post a complet list of the d/l totals for all apps and patches so we can see how popular our apps/patches are so we can see what's most popular so we can know what need to be improved!

you don't have to do it here but would be much appreciated by quite a few I would guess.

Thanks 2sslow
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    thank you webos-internals for the pleasant surprise. I am very happy I listened rboatright's suggestion to make the game open source.
    Very cool idea, but sadly i must be out of touch, or use my Pre totally differently

Of the top 10 Homebrew apps I have NONE
    Of the top 10 Homebrew patches I have 4

Congrats to all the winners....ALL your work and efforts are appreciated!
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    I know this is off topic but I have a request. Could you please post a complet list of the d/l totals for all apps and patches so we can see how popular our apps/patches are so we can see what's most popular so we can know what need to be improved!

you don't have to do it here but would be much appreciated by quite a few I would guess.

Thanks 2sslow
    I second that!
    My patches:

All my patches are available in Preware.