Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yes! Thanks for looking into this guys. Im even excited that you guys are deciding to even look into it.
    I'm giving your settings in update 3 a try. I'll let you know if I see any improvements....
    This was posted by Xanadu73 on the Alpha Kernel 141-19.1_bobafett thread

According to my fstab, Palm dedicates 16M RAM (tmpfs) to /var/run. I've never seen more than 48K there. It's just pid files. I've dropped it down to 7M on my Pre with zero complications. I'm thinking this doesn't even need to be tmpfs and could just comment out that line and let it use the normal file system for pid files. I'm thinking this would really help keep more RAM free for apps/compcache/etc.

I, admittedly, don't know much about linux/coding but it sounded interesting and sorta in your alley so I reposted it here.

thanks
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by lacan019 View Post
    This was posted by Xanadu73 on the Alpha Kernel 141-19.1_bobafett thread

According to my fstab, Palm dedicates 16M RAM (tmpfs) to /var/run. I've never seen more than 48K there. It's just pid files. I've dropped it down to 7M on my Pre with zero complications. I'm thinking this doesn't even need to be tmpfs and could just comment out that line and let it use the normal file system for pid files. I'm thinking this would really help keep more RAM free for apps/compcache/etc.

I, admittedly, don't know much about linux/coding but it sounded interesting and sorta in your alley so I reposted it here.

thanks
    Nice, I just came across this and though I'll give it a go...but I'm just playing with swap space today, got another 128M up and running, didn't seem to make much difference to be honest...I've become increasingly skeptical about the value of swap files, I'm going to concentrate on refining tunable for the next couple of days and see if I put something out for testing!
    Quote Originally Posted by lacan019 View Post
    According to my fstab, Palm dedicates 16M RAM (tmpfs) to /var/run.
    Interesting. And the line above, it dedicates 64M RAM to /tmp. Which seems excessive. I'm going to run an experiment where I cut both in half and recover 40M of RAM from temp storage. I'll let you know my results.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  6.    #26  
    right, I've taken my tmpfs down to 16M and 8M respectively, I have also allocated 10M as minimum free memory for low zone...lets see what happens shall we!lol

EDIT: anyone lowering tmpfs, could you just look at swap activity and see if its higher than normal?
    Quote Originally Posted by phil.hsr View Post
    EDIT: anyone lowering tmpfs, could you just look at swap activity and see if its higher than normal?
    What are you using to see swap activity? vmstat isn't reporting much for me yet.

In any case, it looks like this is not likely to recover that much memory: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tmpfs#Linux

According to wikipedia, in linux, allocating large filesystem sizes to tmpfs dynamically allocates the RAM when needed, including allocating from swap if necessary. I'll run this way for a while, but I'm now skeptical that it'll change much. The other thing that got me skeptical was allocating 128M to /media/ram. But since this is a dynamic allocation its not likely to matter.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  8.    #28  
    I use vmstat, and as far as free -m goes, I can't see that editing the tmpfs as changing much if anything as well, still worth a punch!
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    a pre+ will cure your tmc error without all the linux patch garbage
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    useful, especially for people like me...try looking left and see if you can tell why!!

Less of these comments the better please!
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    Not everyone has the ability to get a Pre Plus. I'm stuck on Sprint.
    Oh, and though this has nothing to do with coding...

I just want to say I threw your name out there phil.hsr for the "forum leader" award/nomination

Your work and dedication is truly appreciated and I personally thank you
  13.    #33  
    well lacan019, that was lovely!

anywho, been getting rather frustrated with tmc recently, I was trying some extreme settings out, it seems that they had minimal if any difference to the settings written in update 3 of the OP

I increased swap space by 128M and set page-cluster to 0 so that it would swap as much as possible, but as of yet, it still only uses about 60M of swap, with or without the extra, so at least we know that that defiantly isn't needed!! Ive also been looking into the possibility of allocating a partition of the SSD as RAM, this seems possible, but might take a tweaked, re-written kernal!

So, as of yet, UPDATE3 is the most stable I have found, and although not Ideal, I hope to tune this to a better setting soon, whilst also experimenting with the SSD...

EDIT: the iphone 3g has a swap file tweak which moves system processes to swap to free RAM...hmm i smell another experiment on the way
    Last edited by phil.hsr; 05/20/2010 at 07:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    According to /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh, you should be able to do the following to get the settings to stay after a reboot:
    Code:
    mount -o rw,remount /
    echo vm.swappiness=100 >> /etc/sysctl.conf
    echo vm.dirty_background_ratio=2 >> /etc/sysctl.conf
    mount -o ro,remount /
    I have tested this method of setting the parameters on my phone and it seems to work. I have not spent a lot of time actually testing the parameters, however. Hopefully this should make the patch pretty easy to create. It's just a diff of /etc/sysctl.conf.

BTW @mamouton, is there a description of the requirements to create patch that will work in Preware? I've created patches before that I can distribute to people who know how to run patch, but I can't seem to find any of the requirements for writing a patch for webos so that it can be compatible w/preware, et al. A pointer if such documentation exists would be appreciated.
    Just got back to this I can't find the /etc/sysctl.conf file
    <<Thread moved to webOS Development>>

It's good stuff, though, I hope it continues. Perhaps it will get a little more traction here.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12