Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
    +$20 here

Total = $2103.00

Love these guys!
    + 20$ from me.

Transaction ID: 7H2120634D299183X

Thanks guys for your hard work and much more to come!
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    + 30 from me. Love the work, love the phone because of the work.

I count $2153 total now...
    +$20 = $2,173
    + 10$ and best wishes from Russia!

Waiting for you guys make it possible to input Cyrillic characters using Pre's hardware keyboard

Total = $2183.00
    Hey, when we reach the goal, can we raise some money to bribe Dijit and Brighthouse to remove all of their crapware apps from the catalog? I'm just sayin'
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/11/2010 at 02:33 PM.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    +$20 - thanks for all of the work! This platform would be *nothing* without the homebrew community's work.

Total = $2203.00
    Just made my donation, but no, I'm not saying how much. Rod will chime in with the official tally when he wakes up, being Aussie and all.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    $5 from me and my 5 children.. :-)

I was an early adapter and I gotta tell you, with Homebrew and WOInternals, I would have probably traded my phone it.

Jason, Rod and the rest of you: YOU ROCK!!
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Here's $20 from me.
    Keep up the outstanding work. You make WebOS worth sticking with.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Add another $10 from me. And many, many thanks.
  12. 2xs
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    done!
    current devices: PRE+
    What is the total now?
    www.webosroundup.com
    Find the best webOS apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    Just made my donation, but no, I'm not saying how much. Rod will chime in with the official tally when he wakes up, being Aussie and all.
    Well, that stinks. It just blew the entire tally.

I appreciate whatever the donation was, but it sure killed the running total. It would have been better for you to just keep that info to yourself, imo.
  15.    #235  
    looks like $2238 to me
    Is Cantaffordit getting a cent per click or what?
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Is Cantaffordit getting a cent per click or what?
    hah! Just thanking people. I don't now what the benefit is for getting lots of 'thanks' must be worth somethin, so I thought we should all thank each donation...
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/11/2010 at 10:58 PM.
    $15 from me,
    total $2,253?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    First, on behalf of the whole WebOS Internals team (which now numbers at least 15 I think), I want to thank everyone who has taken the time and effort (and dollars!) to make a donation. Everyone is doing it tough all around the world in this current economic climate, which makes these donations all the more significant. I also want to thank the many people who (quite unbeknownst to me at the time) started this grass-roots movement, and have kept it going through retweets and blog posts and diggs and so forth.

In the spirit of openness and transparency (which is key to everything that WebOS Internals does), I wanted to give some details on how we will spend the first $1K raised during this telethon, and how we intend to take this to the next level and spread the goodwill even further throughout the open source homebrew development community.

Devices for Core Devs

WebOS Internals core developers are often testing bleeding edge applications, services, kernels and patches, and up until now have had to use their own personal phones to do so. We recently decided that once we had pre-paid all the recurring project expenses for the next year, and made sure that our server hardware was up to scratch for the expected loads during that period, then we would use any excess funds to purchase a second-hand development/test device (usually a second-hand Sprint Pre from Ebay) for each of the core developers.

We have so far purchased (or are in the process of purchasing) second-hand test devices (for specific use in testing new webOS packages and firmware releases) for the following core developers:

egaudet, dtzWill, PuffTheMagic, nebula, sbromwich, ka6sox, zsoc, oil, swisstomcat, uNiXpSyChO, dbSooner, rboatright, rwhitby.

That adds up to over $2K (a second-hand Sprint Pre currently goes for about $180 on Ebay). We will use the first $1K from this telethon for this purpose.

These devices will be used for testing new versions of applications, services, kernels, patches, etc. and are also critical in allowing our core developers to make sure that the applications that you all use are ready for the next version of webOS to be released.

As an acknowledgement that superlative work also happens outside of WebOS Internals, we would also like to extend this program to the following people:

JasonRobitaille (author of WebOS Quick Install, and many other tools and patches)

caj2008 (yes, you are reading that correctly. There has been a lot of water under the bridge, and we did not agree on many technical points, but we believe that he should be acknowledged for the herculean job he did in bringing the first generation overclocking solutions to the wider webOS user community).

If there are other webOS community members that you feel really deserve this type of recognition, please highlight them in this thread for consideration. Note that funds are limited (we only have your donations to use for this purpose), so please be extremely selective in who you nominate.

Open Source Homebrew Hot Apps & Patches

We believe that the development of open source homebrew apps has been critical to the success of the webOS platform, especially in providing open, reusable source code examples for developers to learn from and bootstrap their applications.

Yet the existing Hot Apps program from Palm does not show any love to those developers. And it does not even start to recognise the awesome work that many developers have put into creating Patches for our devices.

So we're going to use the next $1K raised in this telethon (and perhaps even more, depending on what the final total is) to distribute $100 each to the top 10 downloaded open source homebrew packages from ipkg.preware.org (the location from which Preware and WebOS Quick Install download applications, themes, patches, kernels, services, etc).

Note that all patches available in the webos-patches feed are by definition open source (they are MIT licensed) and are therefore eligible.

Now, some of you may be saying "But the top 10 open source homebrew applications are all created by WebOS Internals!". Well, we know that's not the case, but to remove any doubt about our intentions, we are going to exclude from the contest any author who has already received a "Devices for Core Devs" unit (this immediately excludes just about all WebOS Internals applications, services, patches and packages).

See http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2445722 for the timeframes and fine print.

Thanks again to everyone who has donated. I hope this posting helps to spread the goodwill even further throughout our development community.

-- Rod
    An update:

1) The $2K mark has been well passed, so the Open Source Homebrew Hot Apps & Patches is locked in and paid for.

2) We've just purchased the device of Jason's choice for him.

3) The official total as of this post is $2280

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  20.    #240  
    Yesterday we were sitting at 27 cents / thread view.

Today, after raising another $1,000 in 24 hours, we've improved that rate to 30 cents / thread view.... not bad!