Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know that someone has created an app where you are supposed to be able to write down the music you hear when you are out, but it doesn't work for me. The app requires you to put it an artist and title ect. usually when I just hear a song while out, I don''t catch the artist or name hence me needing to write it down. I usually can identify songs later by remembering where i heard them(tv show, commercial,etc..) and by writing down lyrics. I would be so happy if someone would make an app similar to this with the following features

1.where music was heard
    2. lyrics
    3.artist
    4.title

it would be really cool if you could hit a search button for the lyrics to go and search Google with those words in parenthesis so that you could possibly identify the song right there... kind of like a ghetto shazam for the Iphone.

It would also be cool if you could write down which artist or song you guessed might be playing and then hit a toggle switch to mark it as confirmed when you had searched for the song so you could go back and download it later.

I am uploading a really rough visual aid that I a made in paint. I would be more than happy to work up something more accurate and visuallypleasing in photoshop if anyone would take this project on
    [IMG][/IMG]
  2.    #2  
    ok, I made another quick but slightly better mock up. I was only able to get done with the start up page tonight. would anyone be able to code something like this

[IMG][/IMG]
  3.    #3  
    ok, here is a rough draft of what the actual "add a song" page could look like. I thought it would be cool if you could search the song for youtube or amazon once you had figured out the artist or title. those little green boxes next to artist and song are supposed to be check marks that can be checked when you confirm them. I am definitely not a graphic designer so i know these don't look great. I'm just trying to convey the idea
    [IMG][/IMG]
  4.    #4  
    anyone
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I'm still trying to learn how to program for webos, but this sounds like it might be a fun project to try out. I will see what I can throw together for a proof of concept, and then we can worry about making it pretty later
  6.    #6  
    that would be so great
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    sorry... this is taking longer than expected. I decided to goahead and try to learn how to use Ares to develop this app. It's been a bit of a struggle. here is what I have mocked out so far:

8.    #8  
    wow! that looks amazing, it is exactly what i was thinking. Thank you so much for working on this
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    just though I would give you an update.

I've pretty much completed an 'alpha' version of the app. This has really been a great learning experience. Once I figured out how to save data, and retrieve it to populate a list, the rest of the app was quite simple.

I'm going to make sure there aren't any bugs or obvious mistakes, and then I will look into getting it on the precentral feed for more testing.

if any other devs are reading this, I have a question - I hope to eventually release this application, and others, in the official app catalog. Looking at the dev account application on palm's webpage, it looks I need to have a company? How exactly do I go about doing this...
    nice looking app!
  11.    #11  
    looks really great. Whenever you get it ready for testing let me know!
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    well that was weird. I decided to go ahead and test it on my phone, and it failed miserably, haha. I was storing the song info into the database, and reloading it every time you created a new song, or edited it. apparently the emulator is fast enough that it didn't matter, but on the phone it introduced enough of a delay that it messed everything up. (I'm not actually 100% sure what was going on)

anywho, I decided to just pass the array of songs from scene to scene, and that seems to work just fine

I only have a few things left to do, really.. add a help screen, and somehow get the data to save if you close the app before going back to the list of songs... the latter problem is really starting to bug me.
  13.    #13  
    good luck getting the kinks out
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I requested permission for the dev forums here, but nothing seemed to come of it. I don't know if I did something wrong... I will try again, so hopefully this app can be added to the precentral app feed soon.
    Who did you ask? Deiter is busy these days, so it might take him a few days to get back to you.

BTW, Passing an array of songs from scene to scene is a very bad way to do things. Not only is inefficient, it's a recipe for lots of bugs.

You'd be much better served to consider creating a class to handle your list of songs. Your array would be part of the class. You can then instantiate an object that can be accessed and used by all the scenes.

Also, you can include song list related functions in your class that are also available to all the scenes. The scenes can also access the array contained in the class object and operate on it in the same way as if it was local to the scene.

I realize that you are new to this, but you may as well learn to program correctly from the start.

You can use the Prototype JSJSJS Class.Create functionality that is included in mojo. PrototypeJS is a javascript framework used in conjunction with the SDK.

You can read more about classes and how to use them in javascript with Prototype.

Prototype JavaScript framework: Defining classes and inheritance

Prototype JavaScript framework: Class.create

You also should look for some introductory articles about Object Oriented Programming and how it can be used in javascript. There are lots of good sources out there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-...ed_programming

http://mckoss.com/jscript/object.htm
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Thank you so much for all of the info, blubble. I kind of forgot all about classes. the last time I dealt with those was when I took C++ in high school (which was a long long time ago). I'm looking through some of the official palm apps and reading though the links you gave me, and I think I should be able to use a 'list' class to handle everything. honestly, I think it will really clean up the application, and make everything much more organized.

as far as the developer forums, I just used the "Contact Us" link on the bottom of the page. if there is a better way to go about it, could you please let me know?
    Glad I could help. As you say, that will clean up your app a lot. I have several classes that handle all the heavy lifting in NaNplayer. The scene assistants just call them for most functionality except for things that have to be handled locally in the scene.

I would send a private message to Dieter Bohn. He is the one that handles all that.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I now have a list class which handles almost everything . I also went ahead and switched from using the mojo.depot database to cookies, so now everything saves properly when exiting the app.

now, I shall just wait for a response about the dev forums...
    Last edited by pomokey; 05/19/2010 at 04:30 AM.
  19.    #19  
    yay! So glad everything is working out for the app. Can't wait for this to hit precentral
    nice work!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast