View Poll Results: When building apps, do you charge for them or not?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always charge.

2 8.70%
  • Never charge.

3 13.04%
  • Charge for some, give some away.

18 78.26%
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys, I'm on the verge of releasing my first official app to the app catalog and still can't decide if I should charge for it or not. How have some of you made that decision in the past? Personally, I have no problem paying for apps and have bought many for my Pre so far.

I feel like it will be a useful app and probably worth the $.99 price I would put on it.

Thanks for your feedback and thanks for everyone who's responded to my other posts while building this app.

David Barkman
    --
    twitter: cybler
    You can always have a free Ad sponsored version and a $.99 Ad-less version
    +1 on what mikevember said.

Also, if you show that you can create great apps and show it off for free, people will want to buy your newer developed apps later on.
    I personally have no problem paying for apps, especially when they are worth it. Also, if the app is something useful that I need to use regularly, like a weather app, I would rather pay for it than have a free ad version.
    if your asking paid vs. Donation, go with paid, very few people donate? I had an app with 25000 downloads and not a single donation, when I put it in the paid catalog for 2.99 it made decent money, so it wasn't a bad app it was simply people don't donate.

However if your asking how to market an app paid vs. Ad supported, I have no idea, but remember that the is an ad blocker patch so you'll lose money on that too.

You could try releasing it free if you think you will make some money from the hot apps competition, the threshold is 18000 now, so the question is do you think you'll get that many downloads.

I know my view may not make some people very happy but it's the truth, coming from a developer who has 5 apps in the various catalogs.

You will also get bad reviews from users who simply don't know how to use the and don't bother to ask, (yes devs don't like stuoid reviews) even if the app is free, you will want to answer emails , since you want to keep a good reputation.

going with paid has it's drawbacks too, like the app gets pirated almost immediately.

all in all between PALMs treatment of the devs(sometimes good, sometimes bad) and the small Palm community, deving apps for webOS isn't the greatest pasttime
    My advice, put $0.99 on it. With each revision of the OS, I've hard to tweak my apps. Small things, but they take time. Your time is worth something and $1 for an app is nothing.

I'm rewriting Dope Wars, with more functionality to put in the Catalog. It will be $0.99, where it was free on here. However, with the maintenance that it will probably require in the future, even with no new features, need to be covered.

This is part-time for me, but not a hobby. I could do many things to make no money. I think my time for WebOS should at least break even.

To get into $1,000 for paid apps, you need $750 or so. That is 750 downloads of a $1 app. Not hard to do if the App is decent. I've debated releasing Dope Wars as free, just to win the $1,000, but I couldn't then move it to paid, without screwing over users.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    I know my view may not make some people very happy but it's the truth, coming from a developer who has 5 apps in the various catalogs.
    Interesting reply and exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. I never thought of the pirating issue.

I would either look at free or paid, I'm not really interested in in-app ads or donations.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    get into $1,000 for paid apps, you need $750 or so. That is 750 downloads of a $1 app. Not hard to do if the App is decent.
    I believe the $750 is the amount the dev gets not the amount of apps sold since Palm take 30% you will probably need more than 750 sales, I may be wrong though
    Even though I donate when I download an app that I like and decide to keep, many people do not (I wonder how they would feel if they went to work and their boss told them that they were working for free for the week). My feelings have been if you put out the work to create something, you should get compensated for your effort and creativity.
    Very few donate. If you want to make any money, charge a little for it.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    So now that you've released, what's your perspective on how it went? Would you change anything going forward for your next app?