1.    #1  
    Hey!

OK, with all the back and forth, general confusion, and (seemingly) wrong information, I needed to do this for myself and I thought others could benefit. First my average usage:
    • Two mail account both set to "As Items Arrive"
    • One is my Gmail (fairly active because of threads here)
    • One is my work Exchange account (which is part of a "Tech Support" mailbox and get 40-50 mails an hour - yea, I'm serious... :-\ ).
    • 2 - 3 hours talk time daily

I was using the SuperPreKernel for a while 'till it was sacked. Results:

Purtty good!

Now that UberKernel is the hip thing (OnDemand):

WOAH! Not so good!

Decided to see if it was just a bad day and put SPK back:

OH! I like that! Now, why, if these are the "same" kernels with the "same" patches does SPK do a lot better? I dunno. I guess maybe I had something set wrong.

So I tried "Performance":
    (I'm aware of the date difference, I didn't take a screenshot of Govnah's settings at this exact time)

Well, I guess that's better, but still not so hot.

I then tried UserSpace:

Well, that's better. Than the others, anyway.

I also tried "ScreenState" in between "Performance" and "UserSpace" for a day (but forgot to take a screenshot of Battery Monitor befor I closed it). I got results almost exactly like "Performance".

What does all this tell me? The Pre's CPU does NOT like scaling, first of all. Second, I don't know what's different but clearly something is. I'm leaning towards CompCache being the big winner in battery savings since I already ran the ScreenState 500/800 test and did not get the same results as SPK.

I hope this helps someone!

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 05/13/2010 at 09:54 PM. Reason: I messed up the images. Thank you supercluver!
    Your screenshots are the same for SPK both times....

And they are the same for Uber-Kernel the first two times (the userspace one is different however)....

Did you maybe screw those up?

I too had worse battery life with scaling (with Uber, never used SPK, I switched from original unixpsycho kernel to Uber), and think a good read-up on "race to idle" (google search it) would be good for everyone.

Thus far screenstate has worked very well for me using 500 MHz min and 800 Mhz when on. I get great battery life when not using the phone. Of course, using the phone still drains the battery, but whatcha gonna do?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by supercluver View Post
    Your screenshots are the same for SPK both times....

Yes, it looks like I did. I'll correct it in just a sec.

M.

Corrected images in main post.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 05/07/2010 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Updating.
    This is my battery life with the Uber-Kernel with the Govnah set to "conservative" and the min. set at 550 and the max. set to 720 (email set to check every 15 min, GPS on, wifi set to on) and my Pre at idle overnight, what is interesting is my battery drain was higher with the min. set at 250, also at 250 it took twice as long for my apps to open. Loaded the wrong screen shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by netwrkr9; 05/07/2010 at 10:05 AM.
  5.    #5  
    I too had worse battery life with scaling (with Uber, never used SPK, I switched from original unixpsycho kernel to Uber), and think a good read-up on "race to idle" (google search it)
    OK, I'll finally go read up on it since Rod's always telling people to.

would be good for everyone.
    I agree! This is indeed a must read for people.

M.
    I don't think those screens show that the CPU isn't scaling as indicated in the caption. I think you have to go back to the main govna screen where you will see a timeline graph scrolling across the bottom label. It shows the amount of time at each speed.

Let that run for a bit and see what it shows and I think you will see it actually scales. Also keep in mind that your Pre might be a little laggy while the govna card is open, because it is sampling every second. but, if you turn the screen off for awhile, then turn it back on with the govna screen maximized, you will see a graph showing time at the various speeds...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/07/2010 at 10:49 AM.
    @Xanadu73

If possible check - Beta kernel build 1.4.1 w/ scaling & compucache by unixpsycho

This is a beta custom kernel to provide aggressive CPU scaling between 500MHz-800MHz when the LCD is OFF or ON and some other aggressive performance tweaks.

uNiXpSyChO