Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am trying to get Webos to boot on my pc(run natively, not virtually). It starts to boot, but I get some errors. It detects the hardware, then the error I get is "VFS: unable to mount root fs via NFS". I know very little about linux. I have a video link below of the boot process. My machine has 2 hard drives, and webos is loaded onto a usb flash drive, and it boots to grub from cdrom.

This would be best to contact webOS Internals
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    I gotta say, this is an intense project that I will subscribe to. It could make for some wicked DIY hardware.
    Will it even be able to boot? I was under the impression the included Linux was only compatible with ARM cpus (or whatever that type is).
    looks to me like the kernel is already loading/ detecting devices etc. usually arm specific stuff on x86 hardware tanks with a panic right away.
  6.    #6  
    I took the drive image from the emulator. I think the emulator is setup for an x86 cpu. I don't think anything would be happening if this were for an arm cpu.
    maybe palm already had been working on making webos run on a tablet? Perhaps?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    wouldn't that be something... webOS ... The alternative to Mac and Windows.

Palm Pre Backup Utility...done!
    Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    is there any way to make it run virtually at a desktop resolution?
  10.    #10  
    yes you can, but the GUI isn't setup for that. It looks pretty bad.
    To the OP, two things come to mind. /etc/fstab and no SATA kernel modules. Basically, the first one is easy, you'll just need to boot from another linux distro or live cd/usb and figure out what your devices are actually called by linux (if you're booting from (hd2,0) then it most likely translates to /dev/sdc1) then fix that in /etc/fstab and change it in your grub boot line.
    that second to last line though, makes me think that there's no SATA module built into the kernel, you'll wanna contact one of the guys making custom kernels to find out more about that.
    I think it would be a LOT easier to start with a linux kernel that is right for your device, and then try to move over the user space bits. As far as I know palm uses a pretty standard linux kernel. You should be able to run luna taken from the emulator image on pretty much any linux device that has an SDL display.
    I think webos is a bit more in depth than just luna. A thought, you might be able to pull the kernel config from /proc in a running emulator then build a custom kernel using that as a base but with the appropriate modules for your hardware.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    this would be the ****, I would definitely use webos in my next carputer
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by unfairSurprisery View Post
    To the OP, two things come to mind. /etc/fstab and no SATA kernel modules. Basically, the first one is easy, you'll just need to boot from another linux distro or live cd/usb and figure out what your devices are actually called by linux (if you're booting from (hd2,0) then it most likely translates to /dev/sdc1) then fix that in /etc/fstab and change it in your grub boot line.
    that second to last line though, makes me think that there's no SATA module built into the kernel, you'll wanna contact one of the guys making custom kernels to find out more about that.
    Well, the drive I'm using is USB. USB should be built in. The stuff about "/dev/sdc1" is where I'm lost. I've tried every combination I can think of(except /dev/sdc1). Of course I didn't think to boot another distro to see where that drive is actually seen.
    yeah, I forgot about the usb drive part. That would be the usb mass storage module. Which is also unlikely to be built in to the webos kernel. As to the sdX# stuff that works as such each drive on a given protocol is assigned a letter. Usb, scsi, and sata all use the scsi data transfer protocols in one way or another. These get an 'sd' prefix so on a modern system your first drive is labeled sda, second is sdb and so on. Usb drives are loaded last so if you have 2 drives and a usb drive, the usb drive should be sdc.
    the number is the partition number linux starts counting those at 1 not 0 like grub does.
  17.    #17  
    Well, no progress yet. I am learning a lot about linux though. Anyone know how to contact Webos Internals for help with this?
    webos would be awesome in my jeeputer. If you wanna see my rig youtube "jeeputer"
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cdowers View Post
    I took the drive image from the emulator. I think the emulator is setup for an x86 cpu. I don't think anything would be happening if this were for an arm cpu.
    The emulator indeed uses an x86 cpu. I tried setting up a VMWare virtual machine to run the palm emulator like... 2 weeks ago... because I was having trouble with virtualbox. Using an x86 linux 2.6 build, I was able to get it to boot... with two gotchas, 1) no cursor, 2) vmware didn't support the screen resolution the emulator wanted to run at. With a little kernel/driver work it's probably possible to get this working... anyone want to make a tablet based on the emulator image? :P
    any progress on this? as a linux developer i would be happy to help out!
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast