Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
    good luck configuring your touchscreen...can't wait to get a WebOS Tablet. Whether it's home baked or from HP...
    the problem of this drivers they are not open source,and they are created for X-windows,but webos doesnt use xwin.

Are you able to change the ui resolution?
    I am trying with this file:
    /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/stylesheets/launcher.css
    but not diferences
    would it be possible to load xwin onto the basic webos design, and switch to luna?
    http://<font color="Navy">Poll: Requ...r webOS</font>

Coming soon-Calm Alarm
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Palm Pimp.
    Comes with 2 free Pixis.
    load x, set up the drivers, then load luna back on?
    http://<font color="Navy">Poll: Requ...r webOS</font>

Coming soon-Calm Alarm
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Palm Pimp.
    Comes with 2 free Pixis.
    I think you guys should focus on porting it to other Omap/arm devices. I have had ALOT less trouble getting an almost 100% system running on a Omap3530 720MHZ grade Beagleboard Rev. C4. has mouse and keyboard support for most things things and i'm even able to display it on my 24" Via HDMI output. the only issue is it would have to come from another type of dev community that dont mind using some non open source binarys that have been tweaked via old school HEX editing to make the webos interface display properly.
    hi again.
    i think two proyect are very interesting,one is using webos on x86 machines ,which is discused on this post,using the emu developer image.
    The other is using the arm webos so of our pre/pixi.I was trying also doing the same,but i stoped because no many free time ,i hope could go on soon.
    if need help send me a pm or mail.
    Could you post some pics/videos?i would love see it.

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Binary Tech View Post
    I think you guys should focus on porting it to other Omap/arm devices. I have had ALOT less trouble getting an almost 100% system running on a Omap3530 720MHZ grade Beagleboard Rev. C4. has mouse and keyboard support for most things things and i'm even able to display it on my 24" Via HDMI output. the only issue is it would have to come from another type of dev community that dont mind using some non open source binarys that have been tweaked via old school HEX editing to make the webos interface display properly.

It sound great could install webos on a beagle board.I imagine you had to compile a new kernel and using the webos-pre filesystem with it ,no?
    could you post a "how to" .
    a lot of thanks.
    Quick question to ANYONE that would know...
    If i had a device that had the same cpu and ram amount as the pre or pre plus could the webos be ported to this device and not have to use the vm iso?
    Sorry to revive such an old thread. However, webOS 2.0 will probably eliminate a few of the problems we have, such as high resolution support. I just sent a request for the 2.0 beta SDK, if I get in I'll put some more work into this. If I don't, it'll just take me a little longer to start working on it. I'm fairly good with Linux, I'm actually in school for network administration so I actually do stuff like this all the time. I REALLY like webOS and I think it would make a great operating system for netbooks and other low resource devices. Even the original netbooks with 933 MHz Celerons with 512 MB of RAM would be more than enough to run webOS. I'll let you know if I get anything new working.
    Just an FYI, once you guys get this working, only the mojo based apps will work. The PDK apps are all coded for ARM natively which won't work on an x86 system.

This is why I hope most of the new HP webOS products are ARM based. I know the laptop/desktop/netbooks will most likely be x86, but that means all the PDK apps will have to be recompiled for x86, which isn't always easy.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I have been trying to get this to work this past week on the HP Slate 500 I got. So far I couldn't get anything to boot.
    What I tried was install the Palm 2.0 emulator -> took an image of the virtual hard drive with Symantic Ghost -> push image to HP Slate.
    So far that resulted in a failure to boot the slate. I haven't fully given up but with HP announcing a slate on Wednesday I'm not really focusing on making this work.
    coudl anyone help me extracting the image from the latest sdk on the hp website? I have tried everything: winimage, vditool, dd, etc etc.. Nothing worked..
    Quote Originally Posted by rothgar View Post
    I have been trying to get this to work this past week on the HP Slate 500 I got. So far I couldn't get anything to boot.
    What I tried was install the Palm 2.0 emulator -> took an image of the virtual hard drive with Symantic Ghost -> push image to HP Slate.
    So far that resulted in a failure to boot the slate. I haven't fully given up but with HP announcing a slate on Wednesday I'm not really focusing on making this work.
    Reason you could not get the image to boot is because booting is handled by a boot iso file that replicates a cdrom boot in the VM than hands off the os to the emulator image. Initially you can make a real webOS boot cd for booting purposes from that iso file, and later on after you feel comfortable with the hard disk image you're working with, you can use the boot files on the iso disk to make your hdd bootable. lots of steps in between, modifying grub etc etc.

I recommend setting up an external USB drive for your WebOS x86 image. Once you get it running by booting off the cd iso and running on the slate to your satisfaction, you can then migrate it all to your internal hdd.

BTW I too have a Slate 500 it arrived 82 days after I ordered it - Thinking of dual booting ENYO and Win 7 on mine. Might be awhile before the Touchpad actually see's the light of day ....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by pipposanta View Post
    coudl anyone help me extracting the image from the latest sdk on the hp website? I have tried everything: winimage, vditool, dd, etc etc.. Nothing worked..
    You don't explain yourself very clearly, so I'm assuming you have not got the sdk emulator installed on your windows PC at this poiint

Meet all the requirements to install the SDK (java etc)
    Install the sdk
    then worry about trying to get the virtual image on to a physical drive
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    You don't explain yourself very clearly, so I'm assuming you have not got the sdk emulator installed on your windows PC at this poiint

Meet all the requirements to install the SDK (java etc)
    Install the sdk
    then worry about trying to get the virtual image on to a physical drive
    I installed all the components of the sdk, the problem is that I don't how to create a bootable usb drive.
    I installed all the components of the sdk, the problem is that I don't how to create a bootable usb drive.
    - You should already have some linux knowledge, if not, you may want to think twice about even beginning this project.

- Forget about the bootable USB drive for now. Create a bootable cd from the ISO you'll find in one of the folders where the sdk runs from in Windows.

- Spend some time researching the forums here and you'll find (or be able to piece together) instructions to create a physical drive from the VM image, there are several different methods you can use.

- Once you've completed those two steps, then boot from the cd rom you created and make sure to stop at the grub manual input step ( I forgot how to properly describe this , its been awhile) so you can specify the drive to load the OS from (your usb drive). You may need to specify graphics options too. Details can be found in posts made earleir in this thread, as well as in the other webOS pc boot threads you can search for here.

- That should get you going but as you'll see once you get to this point, you've only just begun. There's a lot to fix in the emulator image before it can be considered a functional OS. Frankly, there's so many aspects that don't work (special drivers, etc) it hasn't ever made it that far.

I'm betting the ENYO SDK will be quite a lot easier to work with.

TTB
    Hi TTB,
    I followed all you instructions step by step:
    - burned the iso image to cd
    - transfererd the contents of the vmdk file to usb pen drive
    - booted cd and edited parameters to boot usb pen drive
    - ERROR!! it says: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(2,0)

Any help would be appreciated!!!
    Hi TTB,
    I followed all you instructions step by step:
    - burned the iso image to cd
    - transfererd the contents of the vmdk file to usb pen drive
    - booted cd and edited parameters to boot usb pen drive
    - ERROR!! it says: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(2,0)

Any help would be appreciated!!!
    \/\/0\/\/, even after reading about all the cautions and noted hurdles you'll be dealing with, you still want to do this? I'll give you credit for not being a quitter!

The answer lies in the error message. "not syncing: VFS:" It has to do with the process you are using to uncompress the the virtual image so its seen as a filesystem. It looks to me like it is still being seen as a virtual fs, and it will not run on a physical disk that way. You may be leaving something out of the process. I can't give you a specific answer.

If you're still trying to use ghost to get the virtual image over to the physical disk, I would recommend you use one of the other methods. I never had much success with ghost, although some of the other's may have had better luck with it. It gives me a headache just thinking about the hassles I ran into with ghost.

One other thing I just thought of, there's some bios settings you may need to change to get this to work.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 02/11/2011 at 05:42 PM.
    Got webos 2.2 running on a 1st gen appletv. Heres a pic

imageshack.us/photo/my-images/38/20111020155824.jpg
    Any progress on this?
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678