Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by unfairSurprisery View Post
    yeah, I forgot about the usb drive part. That would be the usb mass storage module. Which is also unlikely to be built in to the webos kernel. As to the sdX# stuff that works as such each drive on a given protocol is assigned a letter. Usb, scsi, and sata all use the scsi data transfer protocols in one way or another. These get an 'sd' prefix so on a modern system your first drive is labeled sda, second is sdb and so on. Usb drives are loaded last so if you have 2 drives and a usb drive, the usb drive should be sdc.
    the number is the partition number linux starts counting those at 1 not 0 like grub does.
    If the bios allows the SATA controller to run in compatability mode ie; IDE mode (for backawards compatability) wouldn't that allow Linux to see the drive that way, as an IDE device?

I've set the bios SATA controller to compatability mode in situations where I've needed to repair, upgrade, or do a fresh install of Windows and it works to fool the OS into treating the drive as an IDE drive because that's what the OS see's the device as. If the bios setting is not set to compatable, then Windows setup won't see the SATA device at all and therefore it can't use the drive for installation and for booting unless the SCSI device driver (for the SATA controller) is specified and installed from floppy during setup. I've run across many Windows PC's that had been running with the bios setting for the SATA controller set to compatability mode for a long time and the owner never even knew it. For whatever reason, the OS had to be installed without the SCSI device drivers available for the SATA controller, so the setting was changed.

The fix canl be performed after the OS is installed and running fine. Adding the driver for the SATA controller to Windows then performing a reboot and making sure to change the bios setting to back AHCI (SATA) mode during that reboot will allow the OS to recognize the SATA controller as AHCI and the SATA drives attached to it. If the right drivers for the controller were installed into Windows before the rrebooting and changing the mode,the OS should boot and device manager should list the controller as SATA/AHCI and show the SATA drives attached to it. There should be an increase in system performance as well. If the bios setting is incorrectly left set to compatability mode after the device driver for SATA is installed into the OS , then Windows will blue screen at bootup, because the bios is still telling Windows the device is an IDE drive, while Windows is now looking for a SCSI SATA device at that particular location.

Following this same logic, the bios setting for the SATA controller (SATA or AHCI controller mode) should be set to "compatability" or "compatable" mode (you might even see it listed as as "non-AHCI", "legacy IDE", or "legacy ATA" mode in some older mb rom's). Then like Windows, the Linux, WebOS x86, (or whatever OS) will see the drives attached to the SATA controller as IDE devices.

1). Change the bios setting from AHCI to compatable mode.
    2). Modify /etc/fstab.
    3). Make corresponding change to your grub boot line.
    4). Try booting from your internal SATA drive.

This workaround won't allow booting from a USB drive, but hopefully it'll allow WebOS x86 to boot from an internal SATA device (hard drive or CD ROM). If I am right, lack of SATA device support doesn't have to be a show stopper for other work that could be accomplished using newer PC's.

My 10.1" EPAD MULTI TOUCH SCREEN PC won't arrive for 10 - 14 days. I'm hoping someone can test this out on a PC with internal SATA drives before then. If not, I'll report results at that time.

Thanks,
    Barry
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 06/13/2010 at 09:02 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by sabianadmin View Post
    Ok first thing we need to do apparently is edit the Grub boot line vga property to vga=u (if you have a netbook running at 800x600)

Interface doesnt scale, will need patching, should be easy, heres a screenshot: img64.imageshack.us/img64/953/webospc.png (sorry apparently im too new to post links, while annoying it makes sense)

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/953/webospc.png
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    I just didn't have the patience to sit tight waiting until my ePad tablet arrives from China to validate whether disabling the native SATA bios setting will do what we want it to do.

Extracted the WebOS x86 emulator from it's VMware virtual image onto the 80 GB SATA drive out of a HP Compaq 6510b using a USB SATA drive enclosure. Created a bootable CD from the WebOS emulator boot iso, and after plugging the SATA drive back into 6510b, booted into bios, changed to compatability mode, and it worked.

Display scaling looks to a be one of many hurdles ahead ....

TTB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    yes that was one of the things i was struggling with, nice to see it working via SATA is the epad and x86 device?
    yes that was one of the things i was struggling with, nice to see it working via SATA is the epad and x86 device?
    yes, and it's almost here, a week or so away. Curious how web OS works on it. Need to get the display working properly before any thought of using its multi-touch touchscreen can be considered.
    hi.are you tried fbset? I have readed webos gui works on directfb,maybe you need configure the framebuffer this way
    Quote Originally Posted by cualquiercosa327 View Post
    hi.are you tried fbset? I have readed webos gui works on directfb,maybe you need configure the framebuffer this way
    I'm going to follow this path tonight or tomorrow to see if it resolves any of the display issues. Anyone else want to try it before I do, please report findings.

Setting up your ďframebufferĒ at boot time:

To do this restart your pc.
    While in grub press ďeĒ to edit that boot line.
    Select the kernel line
    Press ďeĒ to edit that line.
    Add or change vga=xx to vga=ask.
    Continue booting and the list should show up.
    If the resolution you want to use is in the list, enter the number thatís standing in front of it.
    Now just let it boot.
    Once booted edit your grub menu file (sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst) Add vga=0x (where 0x is the number you picked) and then when you reboot you should have the framebuffer right.
    If you donít, then directfb might be a solution.

Configuring the Linux frame buffer device
    --------------------------------------------

DirectFB needs a Linux kernel with frame buffer support. Check the
    documentation in the kernel tree (/usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/) on
    how to enable the frame buffer device for your graphics card.

The generic VESA frame buffer device does not support mode switching
    and you will not get hardware acceleration. To make DirectFB work with
    veasfb, you should add the following lines to /etc/lilo.conf:

append="video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr"

'ywrap' enables panning with wraparound.
    'mtrr' enables setting caching type for the frame buffer to write-combining.

vga=791

This sets the mode on startup. 791 means 1024x768@16, 788 means 800x600@16.

All VESA Video Modes:

Bits 640x480 800x600 1024x768 1280x1024 1600x1200
    8 769 771 773 775 796
    16 785 788 791 794 798
    32 786 789 792 795 799

Other frame buffer devices support mode switching. DirectFB will only
    support modes listed in your /etc/fb.modes file. By default the first
    entry found is used.

You may want to try the vsync patch found in the patches directory that enables applications to "idle wait" for the vertical retrace.

TTB
    some news?
    Hi.Are you app scale to full res?I can not apreciate on the pics

I used 800x600 32 bits (or any other res,the important is 32 bits) on grub.It load the framebuffer.

After i change the /etc/palm/luna.conf
    The resolution and
    ScanCalculatesAppSizes=false

and app works full res

Now i need change the desktop for using full res (only app does)

It is interesting using the emu and start/stop luna with :
    initctl stop LunaSysMgr
    as root for avoid reseting the pc .

I use vditool to convert the image to raw (same as if do with dd )

some pics
    http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/262/58125017.png
    http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/4771/88671614.png

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/3746/91160176.png

(i forget change the name on the virtual box but res is 800x600 no 320x480
    Last edited by cualquiercosa327; 06/20/2010 at 04:20 PM.
    i ill see if i get time to post a video of the scaled ui tomorrow, things that i have done:

- New full sized background image.
    - New application menu background (that spans the screen and dosnt repeat).
    - Hidden the search utility off screen until its in use.
    - Corrected position and appearance of the dock.
    - App menu will now auto scale to any screen size.
    - Installed preware by default

To do:

- New kernel image.
    - Make positioning of things more friendly to wide screens (the app launcher on the bottom right and the quick launch applications on the bottom left).
    Hi.Could you post are you able to do ? Thanks.I am trying but not succesfull.
    Quote Originally Posted by gsx62391@yahoo.com View Post
    Can anyone upload a copy of the files to install on the boot drive? Or point me in the right direction to install onto another device?
    Hi.Your device is arm,nor x86.In this post we are using the image included on sdk which is x86.
    Desafortunatly arm version has not been loaded on other system already (i hope soon does.i am also investigating about this)
    Ok will mount the vmdk from the sdk (which should be in /Users/<youruname>/library/VirtualBox/Harddrives if you a mac user) then using GDDrescue or just DDrescue copy the mounted drive to a connected harddisk then simply just eject (/yank out) the drive and slot it back into your system

viditool converts directly to raw ,and after it could be copy to a partition or hard-disk with only dd .
    . i think mouse support will actually be quite tricky due lack of x11
    Some time ago i was playing with directfb.If i dont remember bad,it used gpm for mouse .
    Ok, took this project to another level. My 10.1" ePad Multi-Touch screen PC running Windows 7 arrived and I was really itching to load WebOS x86 onto it's 160GB internal HDD however I chose to hold off just long enough to put the device through some testing with its default OS installed.

Mainly, I was looking to verify it had the feature set promised by the chinese wholesaler I purchased it from. If it did, this device would be perfect hardware to work on WebOS x86 with.

After putting it through the paces, I can honestly say this thing does all that a PC does with the added benefit of its tablet form with multi-touch screen. I popped my AT&T 3G SIM into it and was surprised to find the factory installed phone app works flawlessly using the internal speaker and mic. It also sends SMS, MMS and has a camera with Windows 7 video recording. It beats any iPad hands down in my opinion. With the features this device has built in, (3G SIM slot - voice and data capable, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, plus Serial ATA HDD for storage, and a fully operational PC operating system (if you happen to feel Windows 7 Ultimate qualifies for that distinction), this baby rocks and rolls.

To be clear here, I'm not trying to push Windows 7 tablets. I'd rather see a working version of WebOS on the screen instead of the MS Windows included from the factory. I've detailed the feature set on purpose. The features built into this device offer it the opportunity to be one heck of a large Palm Pre, IF it was running WebOS .....

I'll skip to the meat of this post now. I made an image of the factory OS on the HDD and proceeded to load up WebOS x86 the same way we've gotten it to work on the trial laptops. Attached is a video of the results. One huge problem is that even with a keyboard plugged in to USB, WebOS take no input either from the multi-touch screen, or from the attached kb. At least on the PC laptops, we were able to deliver input to the OS via the keyboard. Other than that, same display issues exist. Had hoped the multi-touch screen with WebOS running on the device would be functional right away, but it's not. Need to find a lot of device drivers for this if it is to be pursued . If you can suggest a place for me to start working the display and multi-touch issues, please post reply's here.

HERE'S THE VIDEO:

Thanks,
    TTB
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 07/02/2010 at 05:17 AM.
    This is amazing. Y'all are awesome.
    Did you try uploading it to YouTube?
    Quote Originally Posted by starvingsumo View Post
    Did you try uploading it to YouTube?
    i'm embarrassed. After all these years in IT and technology, I had never uploaded a YouTube Video. never had the need. With this effort underway, it was clearly the time to do it.

HERE'S THE VIDEO:

TTB
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 07/02/2010 at 05:41 AM.
    i ill see if i get time to post a video of the scaled ui tomorrow, things that i have done:

- New full sized background image.
    - New application menu background (that spans the screen and dosnt repeat).
    - Hidden the search utility off screen until its in use.
    - Corrected position and appearance of the dock.
    - App menu will now auto scale to any screen size.
    - Installed preware by default

To do:

- New kernel image.
    - Make positioning of things more friendly to wide screens (the app launcher on the bottom right and the quick launch applications on the bottom left).
    Don't need the new kernel for HDD, maybe for other things. I now have WebOS booting up on two different x86 sata x86 machines by setting the bios mode on the sata controller to IDE. One is an HP Compaq 6510 Laptop and the other is a 10.1" EPAD Tablet PC. with a 10.1" multi-Touch screen. The multi-touch touchscreen is non functional this far using the WebOS x86 image I made. I'd hoped to get lucky with it and find the WebOS image detected it properly the first time allowing multi-touch screen use to work out the other bugs with. Input from a USB keyboard does not work either, however on the HP 6510 Laptop, the keyboard provides partial imput to WebOS x86.

I'd really like to try the WebOS image with the revisions you reference above on my 10.1" Tablet device. It's got most of the features that the Pre Plus has and the multi-touch screen is something I hope to get going right away. Having the multi-touch lcd working would no doubt make troubleshooting and repairing the rest of the issues a lot easier.Here's two videos of the device:

1). one of them demonstrates the features this tablet has which interface well with the factory installed Windows 7 Untimate .

2). Here's the other video (the same one I posted earlier in this same thread). It basically documents the boot process and the display problems .

if anyone here can point me down the right path to get the multi-touch screen working, please let me know.

Thanks,
    TTB
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Need to find a lot of device drivers for this if it is to be pursued . If you can suggest a place for me to start working the display and multi-touch issues, please post reply's here.

Thanks,
    TTB
    Hi.Why dont try first a common linux ,maybe some kind as knoppix which has a lot of drivers,..and try to configure the touchscreen.
    it is an older how to configure touch screen (new are XOrg)
    Linux Touch Screen HOWTO
    Quote Originally Posted by cualquiercosa327 View Post
    Hi.Why dont try first a common linux ,maybe some kind as knoppix which has a lot of drivers,..and try to configure the touchscreen.
    it is an older how to configure touch screen (new are XOrg)
    Linux Touch Screen HOWTO
    Thank you. I started there, and found my way to this:

3M Touch Systems US - Download Touch Drivers

Choose Linux (Kernel 2.6)

I'm diving in, but the HP Hurricane will prolly get to market before I can get my tablet running WebOS x86 to resemble a functional PC.

TTB
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast