Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    Thats the only part I don't get Thanks for all the help!

Well download vmware server for ubuntu (its free) and then use vmware mount
    Quote Originally Posted by phil.hsr View Post
    I'm thinking of getting one of those cheap apads running android...what dya think?how hard would it be to install webOS on it?

Well that would be totally different i am sad to say, i mean yeah sure you could compile a kernel that supports the arm cpu but we ar focusing on getting this thing on X86 procs. That said im sure it would be all to hard to do
    i ill see if i get time to post a video of the scaled ui tomorrow, things that i have done:

- New full sized background image.
    - New application menu background (that spans the screen and dosnt repeat).
    - Hidden the search utility off screen until its in use.
    - Corrected position and appearance of the dock.
    - App menu will now auto scale to any screen size.
    - Installed preware by default

To do:

- New kernel image.
    - Make positioning of things more friendly to wide screens (the app launcher on the bottom right and the quick launch applications on the bottom left).
    What resolution do you have it running at now? Can't wait to see how it looks.
    Well i set my resolution to 800 * 600 but really it shouldnt matter what size you run it at because i have used percentages to style so it will auto scale to 100 percent of the screen and the background image or 'scrim' for app-launcher is set to auto scale to 100 percent. Has any one anything they would like added or changed in web os's ui to better suit larger screen sizes, while i am at it i might as well.
    Hmm well without seeing it I'm not sure how certain things are showing up. I guess, if your top bar with battery/time/signal, etc, is showing up large, make it flexible to the resolution you are running at. I'm not sure if you can do that, but if you can make the height of that a % instead of a px, that would give it a more streamlined work. Your doing a great job!
    Well the good news is that icons seem to auto scale to match the screen resolution automatically which is nice. im going to start compiling the kenrel in the next while. Does anyone know how to change the default apps per row in the app launcher?
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sabianadmin View Post
    Well the good news is that icons seem to auto scale to match the screen resolution automatically which is nice. im going to start compiling the kenrel in the next while. Does anyone know how to change the default apps per row in the app launcher?

Not sure if this helps, but there are a number of patches on Preware that allow you to change the number of icons per row in the app launcher... eg. there's one that allows you to display 4x4 icons at a time on the app launcher.

A few of the developers who made such patches are:
    cwgtex
    dBsooner
    Jason Robitaille (who i've noticed has already replied to this thread before!)

I reckon if you ask these guys directly, they may be willing to share their code? It is for a good cause after all!!!

I guess you could then preset the number of icons per row in the app launcher for each common resolution (eg. 800 x 600, 1064 x 768 etc) and also provide the user the option to define how many icons they want to see at a time, via a separate utility?
    Just wondering if there's been any action on this since the last post? I'd love to give WebOS a try on my eeepc 901 if its touchpad can be made to work (I don't see why it wouldn't) and see what apps are available even on an x86...

--bornagainpenguin (posted via bugmenot.com)

Sightline Payments Kirk Sanford
    betting
    Last edited by bmenot; 04/05/2011 at 04:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmenot View Post
    Just wondering if there's been any action on this since the last post? I'd love to give WebOS a try on my eeepc 901 if its touchpad can be made to work (I don't see why it wouldn't) and see what apps are available even on an x86...

--bornagainpenguin (posted via bugmenot.com)
    The touchpad should work, but may not. The reason is that there aren't any set drivers, so it is going off of a generic mouse driver.

All apps would be available, IF the app catalog were installed in the emulator and if you logged into your Palm Profile AND if it didn't check whether or not the hardware is the same.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    I was hoping sabianadmin would post some pictures of the progress so far ... ?
    i have a tablet with an arm9 chip in it currently running android fine. how would i get webos to load on it?
    Last edited by gsx62391@yahoo.com; 05/27/2010 at 01:46 PM.
  13.    #113  
    I'll post a full-screen photo soon. Still having trouble getting the launch bar to work properly.
    anything new on this topic?
    Sorry for the delay guys,

this is gunna take forever unless some more experienced developers help us out, im really busy working on this > http://p-quinn.com at the moment,

All the best

Patrick Q
    Well I hope this project gets some geed devs because I would love to run webOS on a netbook with a touch screen
    Can anyone upload a copy of the files to install on the boot drive? Or point me in the right direction to install onto another device?
    While I have not tried installing it onto a hard drive yet, you can easily get desktop sized resolutions in the emulator. All you have to do is modify the grub line to vga=318 (random invalid id) and it will let you pick your resolution.

Things i've noticed:
    -The pixi emulator behaves like a pre when at resolutions greater than 400px height.
    -Anything below the 480px line is treated as a gesture area.
    -The dock will flush to the bottom of the display, even though the bottom is a gesture area, leading me to believe that the pre/pixi use a multi-display interface for the gesture area.
    -Anything outside of the 320x480 execpt the top bar shows up black, making the dock icons invisible.

I'm working on scaling the interface (including the gesture area) and flushing the dock to above the gesture area. Also, a friend suggested I add a graphic to the gesture area so that it's still usable on laptops/tablets, but not as boring as a black bar.
    Wow, I will prefer a WebOS porting into Asus Toucher screen convertible netbook (T101MT or T9MT)than an Ipad
    Quote Originally Posted by sabianadmin View Post
    well for starters i think we would be better to scale it landscape as most people will be using it on hardware like notebooks, netbooks and netbook-tablets, im sure auto orientation wouldn't be too hard to work in. Also in response to edit_text, dear pre central pretty please can we have our own sub category or sticky or something aptly dubbed WebOS X86 ? love your adoring fans, us
    The process you've developed is simple enough, load up Kubuntu into Virtual Box, use vmware server to mount the Webos vmdk drive, clone an image of the WebOS disk, and place it on an IDE drive for booting. I'm getting ready to plunk down the $$ for one of these bad boys to use if it will help make WebOS x86 a reality sooner rather than later!

10.1" EPAD MULTI TOUCH SCREEN PC TABLET - EMS SHIPPING - eBay (item 220619876062 end time Jul-10-10 06:02:26 PDT)

If the SATA/USB booting problem isn't resolved by the time it arrives, that'll be the first thing I try to tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by tavik View Post
    kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda1 rw vga=864

The key will be in tweaking the root and kernel lines to match the environment. For sata drives /dev/hda1 will likely become /dev/sda1... or sd...something, depending on how your drives are partitioned, in what order the kernel detects them, etc.
    Has anyone pursued the path tavik suggests???

As for scaling, this device has a 360 degree gravity sensor that automatically rotates the screen orientation. Will scaling "WebOS x86" to landscape or portrait even have an impact on how the display looks on this type of device?

EDIT:
    I ran across another one of these Chinese iPad imitation's running Windows 7 that claims it has a built in accelerometer, but it's documentation doesn't indicate the screen is multi-touch.

TTB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 06/12/2010 at 09:28 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast