Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    for the distribution problem, I'm sure you could write a script which downloads the official image, extracts it and then applies the patches. Can they stop you posting the changes?

Sounds awesome. I thought about this ages ago, then dismissed it assuming there would be no way to extract the image to a hard drive.
    well how i extracted the image was to covert it to .raw and then dd'd it to a usb which gave me acces to the fs. or for any one who wants to try it You can just mount it with vmware-mount and then transfer the image to a hdd and when you are in the grub menu press e and and then go to the kernel line and change the vga= to vga=343 (for a netbook) that can also be done in the VM
    Cool we have had a mention on the front page of Precentral and osnews, any one interested in helping out
    I submitted a tip to engadget, i'm sure someone will digg it too. Great work, keep it up.

e_t
    cool thanks , im working on getting the home screen to scale properly to my netbook as we speak, ah how i love css3 ;-)
    As soon as I get home I have an old Dell 5100 that is just begging to be used for this project. It's a bit old, but it should be up to snuff for this. Perhaps precentral will give WebOS X86 its own section in the forums. That could make for a more organized effort.

e_t
    Just a suggestion here...

Considering the native resolution is 320x480/400, would it make more sense to scale the UI in "portrait" mode? At least on tablets, considering they could be held and used this way more effectively than devices with keyboards. The only issue there is that 480x320 is a 1.5:1 aspect ratio, rather than the more common 16:9 (widescreen standard) or 1.6:1(1440x900, 1280x800, etc.). I think scaling up to 4:3 (800x600) would probably be best.
    well for starters i think we would be better to scale it landscape as most people will be using it on hardware like notebooks, netbooks and netbook-tablets, im sure auto orientation wouldn't be too hard to work in. Also in response to edit_text, dear pre central pretty please can we have our own sub category or sticky or something aptly dubbed WebOS X86 ? love your adoring fans, us
  9.    #69  
    Here's how I did it.

I Loaded Kubuntu into Virtual Box. Mounted the Webos vmdk drive to the Kubuntu install. Ran GDDRescue to clone the Webos disk to a USB drive I had passed through to Kubuntu. After I figured out that wouldn't boot from the USB drive, I dug out the old Dell C600 and transfered the contents of the usb drive to the internal one. I thought this would work because I knew the emulator was mounting the drive as an IDE drive. I then powered on the system, selected a resolution, and it worked. (the grub info is in the iso that the emualtor uses to boot. I just burned that to a cd and booted from it.)
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cdowers View Post
    Here's how I did it.

I Loaded Kubuntu into Virtual Box. Mounted the Webos vmdk drive to the Kubuntu install. Ran GDDRescue to clone the Webos disk to a USB drive I had passed through to Kubuntu. After I figured out that wouldn't boot from the USB drive, I dug out the old Dell C600 and transfered the contents of the usb drive to the internal one. I thought this would work because I knew the emulator was mounting the drive as an IDE drive. I then powered on the system, selected a resolution, and it worked. (the grub info is in the iso that the emualtor uses to boot. I just burned that to a cd and booted from it.)
    You tried extracting and looking at the info on the ISO yet? The grub config might hold the key to booting off of usb / sata devices.

update: just looked myself, this is the effective grub config:

Code:
    default		0
    timeout		2
    hiddenmenu
    title		Linux
    root		(hd0,0)
    kernel		/boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda1 rw vga=864
    found this at SDK-1.4.1.427-###x###.iso\boot\grub\menu.lst. The key will be in tweaking the root and kernel lines to match the environment. For sata drives /dev/hda1 will likely become /dev/sda1... or sd...something, depending on how your drives are partitioned, in what order the kernel detects them, etc.
    Last edited by tavik; 05/16/2010 at 10:20 PM.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    this would be great. any way it could be small enough to be put on an sd card? Boot from usb.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by double1 View Post
    this would be great. any way it could be small enough to be put on an sd card? Boot from usb.
    well... the vmdk + the boot iso are less than 512MB, so I imagine it'd be easy enough to fit. Best bet IMHO is to look at how CD/USB Linux distros handle their boot sequence, and try loading the WebOS Emulator the same way.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    just submitted the story to digg. please digg it and show everybody how great webos is.
    http://digg.com/tech_news/webOS_runn...e_that_Gizmodo
    Dugg
    You got a digg from me too. The world needs to see this for sure!
    I'm thinking about getting a Latitude XT2 as my next school computer - this would make an excellent dual boot OS. It looks like webOS isn't design for any kind of mouse support (also supported by the fact that VirtualBox doesn't do mouse capture, just direct input) so we need someone who has a touch screen of some kind to try it out, either a tablet or a monitor. See if the drivers are universal enough to work.
    Thanks for all the digging! i thing i should be able to integrate the boot ison with the grub config pretty handy so i should have it booting off of a usb key shortly on my netbook enough. also i would say bringing down the boot time of the system should be easy enough, my bet is there is a whole host of phone related services starting that are unnecessary and we could introduce a readahead daemon (like sreadahead). Feature requests any one?
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Stice View Post
    I'm thinking about getting a Latitude XT2 as my next school computer - this would make an excellent dual boot OS. It looks like webOS isn't design for any kind of mouse support (also supported by the fact that VirtualBox doesn't do mouse capture, just direct input) so we need someone who has a touch screen of some kind to try it out, either a tablet or a monitor. See if the drivers are universal enough to work.
    Word...would make web browsing impossible. A cursor would need to be introduced, and that's about it, tie it into the trackpad. I'm sure some brilliant weboser could throw something like that together by the time the ipk for this thing drops within 24 hours (wishing) lol
    Would this be in ipk format or how would this be released? (noob question)
    No it would have to be a script that takes vmdk and converts it into a bootable system and applies some patches rather than an ipk. i think mouse support will actually be quite tricky due lack of x11
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    every night I come home to pre|central hoping for big news. 9 out of 10 times it's the usual. A great app, sometimes it's a few patches, maybe a voice recorder, but this is one of those times when i was just woah! game changer.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast