Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    actually pretty good. I'm aiming at an App Catalog app with this one. As such, I'm avoiding making my own homebrew services. As a result, it will be more in the style opf ZumoDrive, rather than tranditional dropbox (where folders locally are synced online). I'm refashioning an Internalz-style GUI for it too
    Oh, so basically we can download from the Dropbox, but we can't sync a folder on our Pre to Dropbox? That's cool, I mostly just want Dropbox cause I like the way it operates on your PC better than the way Zumo does.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    I had no idea (before this post) that Jason was NOT benefiting from the telethon. I assumed it was for the entire Homebrew group and that Jason was a big part of that.
    Actually, as I wrote in my earlier post, WebOS-Internals did cover the cost of a bad-ESN Pixi Plus for testing. As well, $1k of the money earned from the telethon goes to ten $100 awards for top open source apps and patches.

Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Oh, so basically we can download from the Dropbox, but we can't sync a folder on our Pre to Dropbox? That's cool, I mostly just want Dropbox cause I like the way it operates on your PC better than the way Zumo does.
    downloads and upload is what I thinking. The lack of File API prevents anything more for an App Catalog app. Palm teased of background javascript services and File API at DevDays, so hopefully eventually a 2-way syncing local folder option will be available.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    I'm considering Dropbox but I currently use Google Documents for some of my stuff.

What are the advantages with Dropbox?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    I'm considering Dropbox but I currently use Google Documents for some of my stuff.

What are the advantages with Dropbox?
    Here's my referral link for DropBox if ya wanna try it https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTI3NzQxNTg5

I haven't extensively used Google Docs, but Dropbox installs a program on your computer that creates a folder in the My Documents folder (on Windows) called MyDropbox. Any files dropped in there get synced up to dropbox's servers. And when others connection to said folder add new files, then get automatically synced into your local folder.

Of course my initial webOS Dropbox app won't work like that (at least initially), but should be adequate for most.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Im psyched for this.
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Hope you are making good progress, Jason. All your work on all the patches and homebrew apps you've created is much appreciated. :-) Sent you a small donation. Let's wait a while and then start a telethon for you!
    Here's my referral link for DropBox if ya wanna try it https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTI3NzQxNTg5
    Thanks...I used it to sign up. Got my PC and Macbook synced together, looks like it will be a useful tool.
    What I may do is offer a paid homebrew release for those who can't get the paid App Catalog in their region.
    Just make sure you clear this with Palm before doing so. I wouldn't want them to flip out over you not selling through official channels like so many want to. After all, the SDK terms do state you must use only official channels, though they let free homebrew get away with it.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Wouldn't this suck down battery life every time you added something from computer into the DropBox as it syncs all of the DropBox locations. Plus also this uses space on the local device doesn't it, wouldn't this fill up the Pre quickly?

Currently my DropBox is 2.5Gb and is almost full, and my Pre only has 2Gb of space available.

Curious as to how this works.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    I'm sure it would work more like the iPhone official Dropbox app, not like the desktop version. In other words, it'd be a pull model, not a push.
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Just make sure you clear this with Palm before doing so. I wouldn't want them to flip out over you not selling through official channels like so many want to. After all, the SDK terms do state you must use only official channels, though they let free homebrew get away with it.
    yea, I gotta think up something for that, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    Wouldn't this suck down battery life every time you added something from computer into the DropBox as it syncs all of the DropBox locations. Plus also this uses space on the local device doesn't it, wouldn't this fill up the Pre quickly?

Currently my DropBox is 2.5Gb and is almost full, and my Pre only has 2Gb of space available.

Initial release won't work like that at all, due to SDK limitations. It'll be more like ZumoDrive where you can view, files in your dropbox folder, move them around throughout dropbox folders, upload, and download.

A more full sync-style solution will come once the DeveloperDays APIs, that Palm teased us about, comes out.

yea, I gotta think up something for that, heh.

Initial release won't work like that at all, due to SDK limitations. It'll be more like ZumoDrive where you can view, files in your dropbox folder, move them around throughout dropbox folders, upload, and download.

A more full sync-style solution will come once the DeveloperDays APIs, that Palm teased us about, comes out.
    Yeah.. that has worried me too. Donation-ware will only go so far. It seems like the whole "well, you won't let me put it in the catalog because of your limited APIs" angle is a pretty good starting excuse for us Jason.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    What I may do is offer a paid homebrew release for those who can't get the paid App Catalog in their region.
    i can guarantee i'd pay five bucks for this. even if i ended up not using it for some reason, just for your trouble.

and i'm going to donate right now because of your led app and internalz (which is GORgeous!)
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    @Jason:

how's it coming? Before I spend money on dropboxify, I'd rather buy your ap. Is it nearing completion? Need beta testers? Not trying to rush you ;-)
    Just trying to get a understanding up dropbox, maybe someone here can clarify. So with dropbox you have to physically move the files you want to sync to the dropbox folder? See I want to sync several folders, but I already have all of my information organized on my hard drive in the manner that works for me. So "moving" or even worse "copying" that data to the dropbox folder seems a bit counter productive to me. Seems like it would be better to tell the dropbox program which folders to sync rather than moving everything. Or do I have it all wrong? Just curious, as thinking of moving from zumodrive. I like zumodrive fine except they have server bugs to work out. I have like 20gb of data stored on their server and can only view about a 1/3 of it.
    Yes, you're right with that.
    However, they're working on a feature called watch any folder which would solve that problem.
    As a workaround I've created symlinks (i.e. links) at the place of the original folder pointing to the folder inside dropbox. Simple.
    Microsoft's "Live Mesh" works exactly like that suggested functionality, pjjohn. That's what convinced me to switch from Dropbox. Mesh will keep any folder on your computer synced with any other computer (and the free cloud storage they give you).

I would be way more excited about a Live Mesh API than a Dropbox one, but since this is what we've got, I'm looking forward to Jason's solution.

My workaround will be to use a sync utility to sync my Live Mesh folders to my Dropbox for the tiem being.
    Quote Originally Posted by ltjSpin View Post
    Yes, you're right with that.
    However, they're working on a feature called watch any folder which would solve that problem.
    As a workaround I've created symlinks (i.e. links) at the place of the original folder pointing to the folder inside dropbox. Simple.
    Thanks for the information! Exactly what do you do to create the links? Do you simple mean to create a shortcut? I tried this and it did not seem to work.

Watch any folder, sounds good, hopefully it is added.

I would be happy with Zumodrive if they got there act together. Hoping to get a refund for my space I bought.
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    Microsoft's "Live Mesh" works exactly like that suggested functionality, pjjohn. That's what convinced me to switch from Dropbox. Mesh will keep any folder on your computer synced with any other computer (and the free cloud storage they give you).

I would be way more excited about a Live Mesh API than a Dropbox one, but since this is what we've got, I'm looking forward to Jason's solution.

My workaround will be to use a sync utility to sync my Live Mesh folders to my Dropbox for the tiem being.
    Thanks for your information. Yes I though of just creating a sync of my exiting data to the DropBox folder, but really do not want redundant data and 20GB of wasted space.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Jason, apparently you can sell paid apps through the web feed of the app catalog, so you wouldnt need to verify it with palm and you would still be able to sell it through a palm channel (more eyes + still showing up on homebrew/preware as well)
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast