Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    IF YOU'RE READING THESE THREADS BY NOW YOU MUST KNOW THE SCORE

My latest go-round is an attempt to extend the battery life (using, for those who are curious, the WFI instruction if the PRCM suspend fails). I would be interested to hear from anyone if this helps or hinders; in my tests it helps boost battery by around 25%, so long as there is sufficient phone signal to keep the DSP side of things happy.

www.fop.ns.ca/pre/uImage.141-19.1_bobafett for those willing to give it a go.

Cheers, Steve
    ED: Never mind, I'm stupid.
    Last edited by QuarlesLT; 05/05/2010 at 11:48 PM.
    This one is now available in the webos-kernels/testing feed as SBromwichKernel (org.webosinternals.kernels.sbromwich-kernel-pre) version 1.4.1-23

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Rob is this availabe in Preware? I added the feed the same way I did for Preware Alpha but this kernel doesn't show up in Preware.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Rob is this availabe in Preware? I added the feed the same way I did for Preware Alpha but this kernel doesn't show up in Preware.
    I am having the same issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by My3boys1217 View Post
    I am having the same issue.
    I don't think these kernels make it to preware. They tend to be highly experimental and thus potentially dangerous to use. However, I think that some features from these kernels do make it into mainline kernels like uberkernel.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    This one is now available in the webos-kernels/testing feed as SBromwichKernel (org.webosinternals.kernels.sbromwich-kernel-pre) version 1.4.1-23

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Commando View Post
    I don't think these kernels make it to preware. They tend to be highly experimental and thus potentially dangerous to use. However, I think that some features from these kernels do make it into mainline kernels like uberkernel.
    I thought when Rod mentioned they were available with the testing feed that if you add the feed to Preware you should be able to acess it.
    I guess not....
    Index of /feeds/webos-kernels/testing/1.4.1.1/ That's the feed and I see it in Preware.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    installed this at 9am. I pulled the battery and since the restart I am at 53%. 47% drain in 2.5 hours. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by kevank; 05/08/2010 at 12:18 PM.
    thanks I was using a different feed.

feed
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevank View Post
    installed this at 9am. I pulled the battery and since the restart I am at 53%. 47% drain in 2.5 hours. Any suggestions?
    Were you using the phone the whole time, or was it idle?

Cheers, Steve
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Idle other than my checking tbe battery level. I am reinstalling uber to get a baseline. I want to make sure it isn't my phone.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    ok. I am back on the Uber Kernel and battery burn rate is about 3%. Is there any testing I can do on this Alpha kernel to help diagnose the problem?
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevank View Post
    ok. I am back on the Uber Kernel and battery burn rate is about 3%. Is there any testing I can do on this Alpha kernel to help diagnose the problem?
    By default the phone will boot at 800MHz with, if I recall correctly, the performance governor. You might want to tune these settings in Govnah. Some of my configuration changes may increase the speed at the expense of battery life (TANSTAAFL) but your example seems a little high; are you running any background apps?

Cheers, Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by sbromwich View Post
    By default the phone will boot at 800MHz with, if I recall correctly, the performance governor. You might want to tune these settings in Govnah. Some of my configuration changes may increase the speed at the expense of battery life (TANSTAAFL) but your example seems a little high; are you running any background apps?
    Doh! Sorry, but after a long day, I was in 'dumas' mode when I posted this:
    Quote Originally Posted by pslag1 View Post
    Hi Steve,
    Trying 1.4.1-23 now.

Note: I have an upstart script that sets screenstate/800 after a reboot. I had to reset to something with 500 or 600 max (e.g., perf/600), then back to screenstate/800... Otherwise, the frequency would stay locked onto 800 both when the screen dimmed and turned off.

Note2: The 'POWERD-SUSPEND: POWERD-SLEEP' messages are squelched, so... so far so good. When I get those messages, I get the crazy-high-sporadic load averages. My workaround was to run Nodoze, but I can now try this kernel without.

I'll run tonight/tomorrow with this, and report back in tomorrow (pm).

Thanx!
    When I switched to your kernel and did preliminary tests, my phone was on the USB charger. That's why I was not seeing any 'POWERD-SLEEP' messages. Once back on battery, they resumed along with the crazy-high load averages. And also 800MHz when the screen was off.

I'll go ahead and stick w/your version, but I'll be running Nodoze in order to squelch the messages and keep it usable. Not sure if that may negate any battery results.

Sorry again for any confusion or false hope.
    Last edited by pslag1; 05/09/2010 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Correction
    I am seeing very very high batter drain more than 10% / hr when the phone is idle
    Idle - No Wifi, No 3G, No Backgroud Apps...

With just WiFi and Preware It was 23% / hr

UPdate 1 : Just installed v1.4.1-24..

UPdate 2 : Did not see big difference.
    Last edited by zeushunt; 05/09/2010 at 12:15 AM.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by zeushunt View Post
    I am seeing very very high batter drain more than 10% / hr when the phone is idle
    Idle - No Wifi, No 3G, No Backgroud Apps...

With just WiFi and Preware It was 23% / hr

UPdate 1 : Just installed v1.4.1-24..

UPdate 2 : Did not see big difference.
    * What governor are you using?
    * What frequencies are you using as max and min?
    * How are you calculating the battery drain?
    * How much is the "big difference" you did not see?
    * How long were you testing for?

I ran with 125/800MHz with the screenstate governor on 1.4.1-24 running on battery for 8 hours overnight and had a drain of 8.5% per hour at idle as calculated by Battery Monitor, to give you an idea. Some of the features I have enabled will drain battery more quickly in return for faster user response.

Cheers, Steve
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by pslag1 View Post
    I'll go ahead and stick w/your version, but I'll be running Nodoze in order to squelch the messages and keep it usable. Not sure if that may negate any battery results.
    You should see fewer powerd messages but they are not eliminated (those messages are coming from powerd, which is closed source and therefore not feasible to fix). I would be interested to see how things turn out with Nodoze running.

Cheers, Steve
  20.    #20  
    On a side note, I am tracking information on these kernels at Application:SBromwichKernel - WebOS Internals for anyone wanting to keep up with changelogs.

Cheers, Steve
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast