1.    #1  
    I'm about ready to submit my first app to the beta feeds for testing. I was wondering if there's anything I need to be worried about as far as piracy, security, or anything like that or if the palm app store handles most of that.

I've obviously spent a lot of time developing this application and don't want a user downloading it only to somehow get the package from their palm and distribute it freely to a friend or aquaintance. Is this even possible? I don't know .. I havn't tried it myself .. and was just wondering if I need to implement any security measures in my application to avoid this.

Thanks,
    it is possible and definitely not at all difficult. however, you are talking about mostly devs that have this ability, and if someone was to pirate it you wouldn't even notice a hit in your sales.

as for testing your beta, just select the beta dist from the dropdown, and be sure to either 1) unselect the RSS feeds checkbox if you ONLY want the people you send the URL to to be able to download it or 2) keep it selected if you want the public to beta test it.

also, make sure your apps name and packageID are unique to the beta. i noticed that going from beta to catalog the reviews and ratings stayed with the app, so if people don't like your beta, you may be stuck with the ratings. i'd just recommend using a com.developername.appnameBeta and then use Beta at the end of the app name (i.e. Cool App Beta). when you go to do a catalog submission, just drop the beta.
    My site: Shanerooni, LLC
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
    Anyone with the know how can very easily pull the files from their device and repackage it, it's actually really easy. But I believe there are very few that know how or that care to do such a thing.
  4.    #4  
    thanks,

that's one thing i thought .. this program isn't gonna cost an arm / leg .. ~$10..

and the ones that will purchase it will be the ones who have money (poker players.. lol).

It's a poker session tracker application to log all your session / tournament winnings.

is it absolutely necessary to submit to beta before submitting to the catalog? Or can i submit directly to the catalog? .... I've done a lot of testing myself on this application and really think it's ready for primetime.
    You can submit directly to the catalog if you like, just make sure that you have fully tested the application in all scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthedood View Post
    I've done a lot of testing myself on this application and really think it's ready for primetime.
    i'm sure you can find some dev poker players that wouldn't mind testing it. you created an app that works for you, but commanding a big price tag it will only take a few 1 or 2 stars to tank your app. make the short few weeks investment in time to have some other folks give their feedback. could pay off big in the end. just my opinion.
    My site: Shanerooni, LLC
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
    If you feel you've tested the heck out of your game, then I suggest you bypass the beta option and upload the full version to the catalog. Also, I recommend you make a YouTube video of your game and link it to your app submittal as that seems to be the best way for people to see your game in action before buying it.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist