1.    #1  
    I heard on some cnet blog some1 posted that webOS is harder to dev for than the other mobile platforms. Is this true? I just relearned html basics and am reading up on javascript and css. Is it more complicated than knowing them? Am I going to run into tonnes of crap I don't know after trying to learn the basics of these languages? I'm a pretty quick learner but...im hoping its relatively easy after what I'm doing now. What's the deal?
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Nah. Cnet doesn't know what they are talking about:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...velopment.html
    nope. If you can design a webiste you can develop. If you want some serious power and lower level pull, you'll need to get familiar with the pdk. Several pdk early acess partners claim its taking days to port a app from one platform to webos. You results may very. I've never programmed or "hacked" a phone before, now I'm combing through CSS files to create themes. At least that part is incredily easy... Maybe someone with an app in the catalog can respond?
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prequan View Post
    I heard on some cnet blog some1 posted that webOS is harder to dev for than the other mobile platforms. Is this true? I just relearned html basics and am reading up on javascript and css. Is it more complicated than knowing them? Am I going to run into tonnes of crap I don't know after trying to learn the basics of these languages? I'm a pretty quick learner but...im hoping its relatively easy after what I'm doing now. What's the deal?
    web os applications are basically HTML/CSS and JavaScript. any web developer could write applications for the web os using the mojo framework. the web os operating system is actually quite ahead even when comparing to iphone and android on some levels. web developers are different from traditional application developers - so, if you are on old skool guy - it'll take some work

PDK applications are more the traditional type of applications, typically written in C or C++ - any developer working on other platforms natively would find the PDK very easy to get up and running within. we've been mobile developers for 10+ years, and seen devices come, go and mature. out of all the platforms we've seen lately, the PDK was exactly what we wanted and we were able to get up and running in a few hours.
    // Aaron Ardiri
    Mobile 1UP, http://www.mobile1up.com/
    Caveman, Caveman HD (touchpad), Cronk and GW Series available on web OS
    To develop in WebOS, you need to use three to four different languages. (HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and optionally SQL). The Palm-specific hooks for each are a little odd, and the "asyncronous JSON bus" can be confusing as heck.

To develop for Android or iPhone, you can stick to one to two languages and use them pretty much the same way you would use it elsewhere -- Java/Objective-C plus (I think) SQL. So, you could certainly say that WebOS is more complex to develop for.

HOWEVER,

-> You can usually blithly ignore whole categories of problems that Java and Objective-C bring you. (A great example: you don't need to cast an integer to a float to add its value to another value that is a float. 1 + 1.5 = 2.5, all the time.)

-> Neither HTML nor CSS are really programming languages, and as commonly taught they're very much the same. If you show styled or rich text content, you'll probably have to use them anyway when you write for your Android or iPhone app.

-> You can get the full SDK, plus emulator, plus a neat IDE, for free. Android's SDK is free as well, but Apple's sets you back a pretty penny -- times five if you don't already have a Mac.

-> Most apps will run on any current or future WebOS device with a few simple design checks. Android has multiple incompatible versions in the market at any one time, and even though they're all one-vendor, the capabilities of one iPhone can be markedly different from the next.
    Doug Meerschaert
    NoInsultSoftware.com

Apps: Scratch, GasMath, CheckMath
  6.    #6  
    ardiri: I guess you could say I'm a bit old skool. I taught myself html on a 486 (it wouldn't display java!) to build a webpage when I was 20. I'm 34 now and that was the last time I wrote anything. I've still retained some html but things have gotten waaaaaaaaaay more complicated!

I'm pluggin away, thanks for all the replies (so far). I WILL develop for this damn phone if it takes me a year to learn! My brain hurts when I look at javascript tho! Lol
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prequan View Post
    ardiri: I guess you could say I'm a bit old skool. I taught myself html on a 486 (it wouldn't display java!) to build a webpage when I was 20. I'm 34 now and that was the last time I wrote anything. I've still retained some html but things have gotten waaaaaaaaaay more complicated!

I'm pluggin away, thanks for all the replies (so far). I WILL develop for this damn phone if it takes me a year to learn! My brain hurts when I look at javascript tho! Lol
    done any C programming?

Game Development using SDL and the PDK

that is the presentation i did for palm developer day a week ago (to date). you should look at SDL and start doing some applications. all the titles we submitted as using SDL and the PDK - around the presentation, we talked about our experienced, i am happy they are now available in the catalog.

i'm 35 been programming for over 20 years - mobile for the last 12 or so it is never too late, if you have the passion, do it. my full time job is being a CTO doing lots of boring management and administration stuff programming keeps my mind young!
    // Aaron Ardiri
    Mobile 1UP, http://www.mobile1up.com/
    Caveman, Caveman HD (touchpad), Cronk and GW Series available on web OS
  8.    #8  
    never learned any C, just html of old. I have the passion, I seem to be hooked in with the right community and I've got meself a pre! I'm a p.i. so I have hours and hours of mind numbing boredom @ work. Need something to keep my mind young as well! Gonna watch that presentation when I have flash access! Thx
    The languages aren't hard to pick up for the SDK. The issue I have (and I'm sure many others do as well) is the lack of good documentation and tutorials on using the SDK. There are really only 2 books on WebOS development while there are many more for iPhone and Android development. While I've tried to create some tutorials to fill the gap, it's simply too time-consuming for me to write a whole lot right now.

I can't comment on the PDK, since I haven't had the time to mess with it. But overall, I don't think it's all that hard to develop for WebOS.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa