1.    #1  
    Go here ( HP Executive Team: Mark Hurd email ) to write the CEO of HP and ask to keep open relations with the Homebrew community. I did this morning, thinking it might not do much...but they at least responded back with something that wasn't too form letter like.

My message:
    This will not be a long letter. It is simply to ask that with your current purchase of Palm and WebOS, to please keep the platform open.
    I bought a Palm Pixi (Sprint user) two months ago and it has become my number one tool for business (I'm a self employed personal chef) & personal use. I don't believe it would have been so useful to me if it weren't for the Homebrew community's efforts to make it so. Homebrew, if you don't know, are an array of apps/patches/people who make the WebOS experience amazing with innovative ideas for the platform and then share them, its a very large community.
    Palm has been very supportive of the Homebrew community's apps/patches/people this whole time...and I'm asking that you can keep it that way once Palm is running under you. I'm excited to see what the two companies can do as one. Though this letter was written by one person, many feel this way. If this letter does get personal attention, go to www.precentral.net to see what the community is talking about.

Thank you for your time,
    Chef Ricky

Their Response:
    Thank you for writing to HP with your feedback surrounding the recent Palm acquisition. While we do not have any information to share at this time, we appreciate your interest in HP and found the link that you sent this morning very interesting. Please watch for updates on hp.com.

Sincerely,

CEO Customer Relations

Not that I have ANY idea what HP might do with an open forum like this community, but it cant hurt to tell them how we all feel about it...the more the merrier...so get to emailing, they're reading them
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    It's probably good to have flow of communication, but it seems to me that fear of Homebrew being at risk seems overblown considering their apparent commitment to open source and Linux:
    h20338.www2 .hp .com/ enterprise/ cache/ 599999-0-0-0-121.html
  3.    #3  
    That's good to know, I actually don't know much about HP, but I thought writing in with a suggestion wouldn't hurt...and posted here mostly because I was surprised by the fast (within 30 minutes) and non canned response.
    You probably need to write to this guy: HP's Chief Strategy Officer / Chief Technology Officer, Shane Robison--as he probably has more power over webos direction than the "CEO of Customer Relations", whoever that is who responded to you and did not know about precentral.net as they are generally responsible for customers for all of HP and may not know details about one particular division or be able to effect strategy for that division.

Robison I'm sure did all of his homework and should already know about precentral.net. I don't know Shane's email but you can try Robison@HP.com and see if that gets a response.
    The email was signed "CEO Customer Relations". That means you got a response from the CEO's Customer Relations Team. Not from the CEO of Customer Relations.(Palm likely has a similar team handling emails to Jon Rubinstein.) Basically, these guys are like a buffer between us and CEOs. A good solid inquiry might be passed along, or you might just be directed toward customer service.

The reply above tells me that you probably piqued enough interest to get an actual response instead of just getting pawned off to the company's customer service department, but the CEO isn't ready to comment on the situation at this time. So yeah, I'd say everybody go for it. Let Mark Hurd's people know where we stand. They'll let him know and our chances of keeping a strong homebrew effort going get a lot better.
    Quote Originally Posted by unfairSurprisery View Post
    The email was signed "CEO Customer Relations". That means you got a response from the CEO's Customer Relations Team. Not from the CEO of Customer Relations.(Palm likely has a similar team handling emails to Jon Rubinstein.) Basically, these guys are like a buffer between us and CEOs. A good solid inquiry might be passed along, or you might just be directed toward customer service.

The reply above tells me that you probably piqued enough interest to get an actual response instead of just getting pawned off to the company's customer service department, but the CEO isn't ready to comment on the situation at this time. So yeah, I'd say everybody go for it. Let Mark Hurd's people know where we stand. They'll let him know and our chances of keeping a strong homebrew effort going get a lot better.
    That response looks like it was just an auto reply for any email with the words WebOS, Palm or Pre in it. I don't think an actual human being sent that.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    That response looks like it was just an auto reply for any email with the words WebOS, Palm or Pre in it. I don't think an actual human being sent that.
    ...and http for the "interesting link" sentence.....
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    ...and http for the "interesting link" sentence.....
    Didn't see that, guess I'm still drunk