Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    i think it should. while the stylus may be obselete in the smartphone arena, i believe it would be very useful on a fully touchscreen tablet. think about it. as opposed to typing notes on a vkb, one could pull out his stylus and begin writing just as if he was taking notes on an actual tablet that has paper. having a stylus would add so much more functionality. you wouldn't use it all the time, but it would definitely come in handy. i could think of a few things a stylus would be great for. paintr app. note taking. editing photos.
    No, stylus is so 1990's
    typing on a good keyboard is so much faster than writing.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I wouldn't want any of the user interface to be dependent on a stylus, so no. I see your point about typing, but if I need to type a lot, I'd prefer to use a netbook. Let's hope there's a WebOS netbook coming as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by d.moss View Post
    i think it should. while the stylus may be obselete in the smartphone arena, i believe it would be very useful on a fully touchscreen tablet. think about it. as opposed to typing notes on a vkb, one could pull out his stylus and begin writing just as if he was taking notes on an actual tablet that has paper. having a stylus would add so much more functionality. you wouldn't use it all the time, but it would definitely come in handy. i could think of a few things a stylus would be great for. paintr app. note taking. editing photos.
    As long as it's not required for any functions. Like a user should be able to use the device his whole life, without ever feeling the need of using the stylus, but a noter user might use it for a drawing app.

Also next year we are getting dual core 1.5 ghz cpus for phones. in a few years we will have phones, and tablets powerful enough to easily run some version of photoshop, combine that with a stylus and you got yourself an amazing device.

I said this in another thread, but adobe might release photoshop to push web-os which supports flash.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Stylus with photoshop or something like that?
    It's something to think about.

It could with things like paint and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    No, stylus is so 1990's
    how bout drawing?
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    I wouldn't want any of the user interface to be dependent on a stylus, so no.
    none of the user interface would have to be dependent upon the stylus. you'd just be able to use it in certain apps that it would be ideal for.. such as writing notes. you'd still have the option to use a vkb
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    No, stylus is so 1990's
    is typing on a vkb really faster than writing? i don't think so.. typing on a physical kb is though.. so of course.. let it support a stylus a the bluetooth keyboard option
    I would love a stylus similar in function to how the Microsoft Courier's plans entailed. I like the writing, selecting, and context menus.

But using it too much would become annoying very fast, and if it's not nice and comfortable it could be a pain to use.
    I would absolutely like the ability to use a stylus.

similarly I would absolutely abhor being reliant on a stylus.

some combination of capacitive for finger and resistive for stylus, or another technology having the best of both worlds would be more than welcomed.

Man has evolved opposable thumbs, and we all have a greater degree of precision, and fine motor control using tools held that way.

I think a note taking application for classes, meetings, brainstorm ect, where diagrams and the like are used, needs a stylus. I think a great illustration is in the now dead Courier.

I would also want the ability to annotate, and write notes, into ebooks, and especially e-text books.

afaikafaikafaik $there$ $hasn$'$t$ $been$ $a$ $marriage$ $of$ $pen$ $and$ $finger$ $input$ $that$ $feels$ $natural$ $yet$. $if$ $HP$ $and$ $Palm$ $were$ $to$ $develop$ $one$, $and$ $a$ $note$ $taking$/$textbook$/$graphics$ $design$ $suite$ $that$ $used$ $them$ $fully$, $they$ $would$ $have$ $a$ $killer$ $app$, $and$ $instant$ $demand$.

apple, strangely, dosn't seem interested in using the naturally evolved ability to use tools for finer control, and wants us plunking around with our fingers only.
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    As long as it's not required for any functions. Like a user should be able to use the device his whole life, without ever feeling the need of using the stylus, but a noter user might use it for a drawing app.

Also next year we are getting dual core 1.5 ghz cpus for phones. in a few years we will have phones, and tablets powerful enough to easily run some version of photoshop, combine that with a stylus and you got yourself an amazing device.

I said this in another thread, but adobe might release photoshop to push web-os which supports flash.
    i agree.. this is exactly what i'm envisioning.. if the user never wants to use the stylus, nothing is completely ddependent upon it, therefore he doesn't have to.. but he should have the option to do so when it comes in handy.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    I would absolutely like the ability to use a stylus.

similarly I would absolutely abhor being reliant on a stylus.

some combination of capacitive for finger and resistive for stylus, or another technology having the best of both worlds would be more than welcomed.

Man has evolved opposable thumbs, and we all have a greater degree of precision, and fine motor control using tools held that way.

I think a note taking application for classes, meetings, brainstorm ect, where diagrams and the like are used, needs a stylus. I think a great illustration is in the now dead Courier.

I would also want the ability to annotate, and write notes, into ebooks, and especially e-text books.

afaikafaikafaik $there$ $hasn$'$t$ $been$ $a$ $marriage$ $of$ $pen$ $and$ $finger$ $input$ $that$ $feels$ $natural$ $yet$. $if$ $HP$ $and$ $Palm$ $were$ $to$ $develop$ $one$, $and$ $a$ $note$ $taking$/$textbook$/$graphics$ $design$ $suite$ $that$ $used$ $them$ $fully$, $they$ $would$ $have$ $a$ $killer$ $app$, $and$ $instant$ $demand$.

apple, strangely, dosn't seem interested in using the naturally evolved ability to use tools for finer control, and wants us plunking around with our fingers only.
    yes yes yes! i concur my friend
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    more thoughts?
    Even if Palm doesn't include a stylus, you can always buy one of the capacitive styli available. In fact, you could use one with your Pre if you wanted to.
    Don't want a dumb stylus or a capacitive one. Wouldn't buy a slate without an EMR pen / active digitizer though. Though, honestly I don't even really have too much interest in a webOS slate myself. There's just no way it could compare to the functionality of Windows 7. I'm sure it'd have a prettier interface and be more intuitive, but that's not really what I'm interested in on a slate.

I love webOS on my phone, but on a slate, if it doesn't have a pen and OneNote, then I just have zero desire for it.

While yes, it'd theoretically be possible for Palm or HP or whoever to have a note-taking solution, there's just no way it'd be able to compare with the Microsoft offering.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Don't want a dumb stylus or a capacitive one. Wouldn't buy a slate without an EMR pen / active digitizer though. Though, honestly I don't even really have too much interest in a webOS slate myself. There's just no way it could compare to the functionality of Windows 7. I'm sure it'd have a prettier interface and be more intuitive, but that's not really what I'm interested in on a slate.

I love webOS on my phone, but on a slate, if it doesn't have a pen and OneNote, then I just have zero desire for it.

While yes, it'd theoretically be possible for Palm or HP or whoever to have a note-taking solution, there's just no way it'd be able to compare with the Microsoft offering.
    what microsoft offering? the courier? if that's what you're referring to, it is no longer a project for microsoft.. the courier would have been awesome.. pen, stylus, whatever.. as long as it works and the device is in no way completely dependent upon it.
    Quote Originally Posted by d.moss View Post
    what microsoft offering? the courier? if that's what you're referring to, it is no longer a project for microsoft.. the courier would have been awesome.. pen, stylus, whatever.. as long as it works and the device is in no way completely dependent upon it.
    I was referring in that instance to OneNote. Nothing compares to being able to write out handwritten notes, search for specific text in them, etc etc.

While the Courier was something I wanted badly, all of the functionality it demonstrated is already possible on a Windows Tablet PC. Courier just wrapped it up in a much nicer interface and package.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    If your after functionality there's defiantly no reason you should ever use a Slate, it's just a screen, without the necessary input for all the true functions of any Windows 7 application. Set your eyes on a laptop/computer for that. You have to think differently for a slate, just as you have to think differently for a phone. I personally find a slate much more like a smartphone than a laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    If your after functionality there's defiantly no reason you should ever use a Slate, it's just a screen, without the necessary input for all the true functions of any Windows 7 application.
    As someone who already has a slate that I use every day, you couldn't be more wrong on that one.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    If your after functionality there's defiantly no reason you should ever use a Slate, it's just a screen, without the necessary input for all the true functions of any Windows 7 application. Set your eyes on a laptop/computer for that. You have to think differently for a slate, just as you have to think differently for a phone. I personally find a slate much more like a smartphone than a laptop.
    soooo your thoughts on a stylus?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast