1.    #1  
    I've spent the past few days combing forums here and elsewhere looking for any threads that address the best way to tether the iPad to the Palm Pre and haven't found any so this is an attempt to put together what I have learned and what has worked for me in the hopes that others will contribute what worked best for them.

It is no secret that there are some wifi issues with the iPad and when tethering some have had more luck than others. I run a Sprint Pre v1.4.1.1 that is tweaked just a little and runs at 600 Mhtz most of the time using the CPUScaler. Admittedly, I was able to get myTether to work very easily but wasn't satisfied with the speed or the fact that it took about 45-60 seconds to connect, so I did a little digging. I found that on the same connection my iPad was consistently getting 1/2 to 1/3 of the speed I could get on both my XP laptop and Vista desktop and the iPad wouldn't stay connected consistently.

I loaded freeTether and Mobile Hot Spot and could get connected but would lose my EVDO connection most of the time, and when I did keep my connection I would get the same slow speeds. I have been able to get onto my home wifi and several other public networks without much trouble and with speeds comparable to my windows machines. After reading the Apple forums I have come to the conclusion that this is most likely a problem with the iPad firmware not being compatible with the type of wifi connection that is created using the tethering programs. Most of the problems with the iPad wifi connections are on older networks and with tethering devices.

The fastest speeds (~1Mbps) and most stable connection I have achieved is using freeTether, Moble Hot Spot, and the data toggle in device menu patch to make the connection. The data toggle is needed about 75% of the time, when the iPad connects the Sprint Pre kills the data connection, toggling the connection fixes this. The other settings are on the iPad itself. First I reset the network settings by going to settings>general>reset>reset network settings, then when I connected to the wifi network created by my pre I selected the advanced options menu (arrow) the best speeds I have achieved have been with the "auto" selected under the HTTP Proxy settings.

Has anyone else found a better/easier/faster connection combination? I am curious if tethering with Blue Tooth would eliminate the speed problems but haven't been able to figure out how to do so to test it. Has anyone done this, and if so what were the results? Is there a thread out there that gives at least basic instructions for using BT in freeTether? I have looked everywhere and haven't found much documentation.

On a slightly separate note, I have poor reception at my desk and I have noticed better signal in the exact same spot when my phone is on the touchstone than when it is just sitting there or is charging via USB. This is completely anecdotal and may not have any merit as I have not actually looked at the signal strength and recorded the changes throughout the day (I might do that now that I have said that) but just wanted to see if anyone else noticed a difference? It just seems like I have signal more often and when I do, it has more bars...
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    I have experienced all of this tethering to my laptop, so my view is that it has nothing to do with the iPad.

My iPad should get here on monday, I'll let you know how it goes. I actually tethered my Pre to one in an apple store to make sure it worked, and it seemed to go fine.

What I want to know is whether the iPad can keep the Pre charged while they are tethered using the Camera Connection Kit.