Page 7 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Installed. Fine so far, will report back.
    I've had a bunch more Luna restarts than normal myself as well, so I'm uninstalling this.

Also, with regards to better memory management, it seemed to me personally that it wouldn't help the too many cards error for opening a 3d game first.

As in, if I had a couple cards open and then wanted to open a 3d game, it wouldn't work.

However, it did seem that once I had the game open, that I was then able to open a couple more cards than usual.

For example: Twee and Email open, couldn't open Hawx. Closed out of all the cards, and then opened Hawx, and then was able to open Twee and Email.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I've had a bunch more Luna restarts than normal myself as well, so I'm uninstalling this.

Also, with regards to better memory management, it seemed to me personally that it wouldn't help the too many cards error for opening a 3d game first.

As in, if I had a couple cards open and then wanted to open a 3d game, it wouldn't work.

However, it did seem that once I had the game open, that I was then able to open a couple more cards than usual.

For example: Twee and Email open, couldn't open Hawx. Closed out of all the cards, and then opened Hawx, and then was able to open Twee and Email.
    Weird, i just opened the phone app, web, messaging(connected to fb chat), email and NFSU with just a touch of lag, which is expected.

Maybe its just a random thing happening with ur phone? Have you tried a battery pull? uninstall and reinstall?

Also, i'd recommend installing Jstop to see what your mem usage is like after opening each app.
    Phone and messaging don't mean anything, since the OS literally forces them open even in low memory conditions.

As I said, I was able to open more cards if I had the game open first, but not if I had the apps open first.
    I've been too busy today to quantify this with Battery Monitor, but if you want anecdotal evidence I can tell you that battery life while idle is astoundingly good on my phone with this patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Phone and messaging don't mean anything, since the OS literally forces them open even in low memory conditions.

As I said, I was able to open more cards if I had the game open first, but not if I had the apps open first.
    ahhhhh now i see. Im getting the same sort of thing...

Maybe increasing/decreasing the swap size could help?
  7.    #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post
    ahhhhh now i see. Im getting the same sort of thing...

Maybe increasing/decreasing the swap size could help?
    this new version lowers the compcache swap. the previous version used ~36MB of RAM.

I had a suspicion compcache wouldnt help with the error as the Java memory settings dont use all of the available memory. sbromwich has a hack for that if anyone is willing to make that edit, then they can try it with compcache.
    Live free or DIE!
  8.    #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevank View Post
    I've noticed that if the phone screen is on and you place it on the touchstone, it stays at 800mhz. If you turn off the screen it drops down to 500mhs. If the phone is on the touchstone and the screen is on and you take it off the touchstone, it stays at 500mhz. (Turn off the screen and turn it back on and it comes up at 800mhz.)

Looks like a screen event is needed to change the speed at this point.
    If you place it on the Touchstone the screen dims, you'll notice it goes to 500Mhz (it should with my testing). if you pull it off the touchstone without turning off the screen then it stays at 500Mhz cuz the screen is still dimmed. if you turn of/off then it'll go to 800.

That's a bug in Palms code to set the screen parameter back to recent value.
    Live free or DIE!
    so i did as i said before and doubled the swap size. it apparently worked for getting 3d games to run after other cards are open first.

Before i changed the size, i opened facebook, pandora, and the web. Then tried to open NFSU which threw out the TMC error.

Changed the swap to 20mb and now i no longer get that error after following the same steps as before...

EDIT: scratch that, changes didn't take effect yet... but it still worked?
    So far I haven't had any luna restarts or lockups at all. The first and second version have been great for me. I only had 1 slow wakeup but, even that didn't result in a luna restart. This kernel is a winner in my book. I like how its simple, 800hmz when awake, 500hmz when sleeping.

Thanks unixpsycho
    I feel like Im in remedial education classes trying to keep up with the posts....but from a novice that I am....it installed easy...no problems that I can see...(and I actually had to run the WebOS repair utility before installing because of another issue).....runs quick to my novice eye as I dont know how to check it. I have a batter temp app installed and its never gotten above 40C. Ill put it on the chargestone later and see if that changes. I have not had even 1 "too many cards" warning that I would get before...but Im not a gamer...just use it for basic work...email and browsing.
    I know its off topic....but is there a quick fix that makes all mobile websites display perfectly better than the std browser?
    Quote Originally Posted by dtichanski View Post
    I know its off topic....but is there a quick fix that makes all mobile websites display perfectly better than the std browser?
    way off topic, but yeah, there was a post i think in the general pre chat forum where it was more of a search engine and the site would format any site into a mobile version or re-direct you to a mobile version, can't remember what it was called tho.
    any thoughts about defaulting to 250mhz when the screen is off and 720 or 800mhz with the screen on? Previous scaling schemes have used 250 as a low point without hiccups, though I have heard some problems but I think that has to do with scaling from 250 not switching from 250 to a higher frequency directly.
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    Are you going to integrate the cpu temp patch? i know govnah wont really matter because you cant change anything but will it be able to monitor the temp if you added the patch?
    We're working on adding the 'screenstate' governor functionality to Uber-Kernel, so it can be selected just like any of the other govnernor selections in the Govnah app.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by hmagoo View Post
    any thoughts about defaulting to 250mhz when the screen is off and 720 or 800mhz with the screen on? Previous scaling schemes have used 250 as a low point without hiccups, though I have heard some problems but I think that has to do with scaling from 250 not switching from 250 to a higher frequency directly.
    The minimum freq will be selectable in Govnah once the screenstate governor is added to the Uber-Kernel.

At the moment it's hard-coded to 500 cause some people's devices have problems at 125 and 250, so we wanted to exclude those problem cases from the testing.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by hmagoo View Post
    this patch originally was set to 250 when the screen was off, as far as i know it caused problems with apps that were already open when the screen turned off and wasn't able to readily wake up when the lock button was pushed.
    brennan7,

it would be interesting to try it out again as I have done just that with a different method without problems.

rwhitby,

great news. Looking forward to experimenting, thank you all for your efforts.

I have been using screen state "scaling" for several months now on the standard kernel, from 250-550 with the cpuspeed scripts which were on the forum last summer. I'm sure a kernel governor will be a lot slicker.

maybe it's just me but I am very sensitive to side effects of scaling and have yet to see a completely smooth solution, without lag.
    Last edited by hmagoo; 04/29/2010 at 08:39 PM.
    this one works very well with out any lag... only thing i've noticed is my helicopter game lags, but that has been happening with all of the kernel's i've installed :/
    I apologize for being so daft. I've tried downloading the ipk on the original post and for whatever reason, I simply get an ipk txt file with a bunch of gibberish. I'm not able to download the file and add it to wosqi. Any suggestions would be much appreciated....
Page 7 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast