Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 414647484950515253 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1045
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothCriminal View Post
    Well, no offense, but I don't think you can judge my knowledge seeing as you don't know me, but thanks for you input.
    Being an effective alpha tester is a function of attitude, not of knowledge or skill.

I presume you've already read the Testing Feeds page on the WebOS Internals wiki that I pointed you to earlier today ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Being an effective alpha tester is a function of attitude, not of knowledge or skill.

I presume you've already read the Testing Feeds page on the WebOS Internals wiki that I pointed you to earlier today ...

-- Rod
    Yes, I read it, I got some good info. It just didn't tell me how to get it. Oh well.

Did some searching and found the feeds I need for preware. Thank you all for your help. Sorry if I am annoying
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 08/03/2010 at 04:39 PM.
    <<Posts Deleted>>

Come on kids.....stop fighting. Please keep discussion on topic. This is not the place for a back and forth fight club.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothCriminal View Post
    Yes, I read it, I got some good info. It just didn't tell me how to get it. Oh well.
    (Since the post was deleted, I'll re-post the answer for future generations)

The second paragraph of the page explains what you as the End User need to do.

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 08/03/2010 at 05:07 PM.
    I'm having trouble installing F105 kernel. I have installed it before without any problems but, I had to uninstall it because my pre plus was having a back lighting issue with the keyboard so I went to verizon to get a new one so I got my new pre plus 2 days ago and I've been having trouble can anybody help me or give me an idea as to wh this is happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by j.jacob298 View Post
    I'm having trouble installing F105 kernel. I have installed it before without any problems but, I had to uninstall it because my pre plus was having a back lighting issue with the keyboard so I went to verizon to get a new one so I got my new pre plus 2 days ago and I've been having trouble can anybody help me or give me an idea as to wh this is happening.
    Possibly if you state the problem in detail and what problems/errors you are getting when installing F105.

Btw, this is the wrong thread for F105 discussion.

Pip
    Quote Originally Posted by j.jacob298 View Post
    I know I just realized that and I will add more detail so when i installed it the first time i looked into govnah and the option for the speed wasnt there and i looked again and it still wasnt there but it shouldve been there because the internalz for the file and it was there so i just thought it was bug that was making the kernel inactive so i unistalled it and the same thing happened.
    How are you installing UberKernel? It's not clear fom your post. Also, am I correct in assuming that you rebooted after the installs?

M.
  8.    #1008  
    F102 Delta Dagger has been called up for Active Duty in the "Stable" feed. It is no longer in testing.

F104 may be delegated to the scrap heap at AMARC. I might find another use for it soon before that happens.
    Live free or DIE!
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    I'm glad to see F102 migrate to stable, because it's always nice when things get promoted. I'm setting up a Sprint Pre for my Dad and this may be the best option for him out of simplicity.

Is there any performance advantage to the "simpler" F102A Delta Dagger over using UberKernel and Govnah at similar settings (500/800 Screenstate, 24MB Compcache)?

What are the pitfalls of the elimination of the TMC error, other than the system getting slow from opening too much. Would it miss calls or have other problems?
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    I'm glad to see F102 migrate to stable, because it's always nice when things get promoted. I'm setting up a Sprint Pre for my Dad and this may be the best option for him out of simplicity.

Is there any performance advantage to the "simpler" F102A Delta Dagger over using UberKernel and Govnah at similar settings (500/800 Screenstate, 24MB Compcache)?

What are the pitfalls of the elimination of the TMC error, other than the system getting slow from opening too much. Would it miss calls or have other problems?
    Performance should be identical - it's the same code.

If you open way too much stuff, you are likely to miss calls.

-- Rod
  11.    #1011  
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post

What Rod said.... The only thing is it will save in the low memory zone since it doesnt have everything Uber has. No performance differences.

And I forgot to mention, most of the features of the testing kernels ends up in UberKernel.
    Last edited by unixpsycho; 08/17/2010 at 06:34 PM.
    Live free or DIE!
    I'm trying F102 delta dagger, or Uber kernel. I'm seeing how differently my phone operate with a lower mhz. Resting the 1ghz and 1.2ghz.
    I have recently been trying the f102 kernal since it went to the public feeds and am really liking it. Temperature is much lower than the Uberkernal which I also loved. I was getting splotches on my screen from the higher temps that the UK was running at and now they are gone under the f102 kernal. Is there any reason that the f102 runs at least 10C less than the UK or was I just improperly using the UK?
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    I have recently been trying the f102 kernal since it went to the public feeds and am really liking it. Temperature is much lower than the Uberkernal which I also loved. I was getting splotches on my screen from the higher temps that the UK was running at and now they are gone under the f102 kernal. Is there any reason that the f102 runs at least 10C less than the UK or was I just improperly using the UK?
    They both run the same frequencies and voltages when configured with the same governor settings.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Is there a reason UK has not put a fix to the TMC error?
    Quote Originally Posted by gsonspre View Post
    Is there a reason UK has not put a fix to the TMC error?
    UK does indeed contain a fix to TMC errors, and has done so for quite some time now. This is stated very clearly in the package description.

However, if you keep using memory until both RAM *and* SWAP is full, UberKernel will stop you from crashing your phone and potentially loosing all your settings and data as a result.

-- Rod
    Regardless of what kernel you use there will be a limit to how much stuff can be running all at the same time. The difference is a matter of what happens when there is no memory left to run more stuff at the same time. Palms way of doing this was a pop up notice to the user known as TMC. The other way, perhaps an extreme, is to give total freedom to open as much as one wants until the system crashes or hangs.

The problem is not TMC itself. Note, it was discovered that the code didn't reflect a comment about the code in a part related to when TMC occurs. This part of the kernel was modified. And in testing with uber kernel we observe more can be opened before TMC occurs and the device still runs stable. Confirming that the code probably was meant to reflect the comment. By keeping the TMC routine users can run stuff worry free because if they run too much stuff at once then when there is really no memory left to load something then the user is made aware they have really run out of memory.

Of course compcache can allow for even more stuff to be ran at the same time giving the user even more freedom by having a larger memory limit at the trade off of the brief time to compress and uncompress the compcache portion of memory. I'm not sure if in my normal usage I ever end up with stuff loading into compcache. I haven't payed that close attention. I just enabled it at 32MB figuring if I do need it then it is there. I've been able to run all I need to run all at once and haven't noticed any negative impact to performance. I've gone as far as opening 5 or 6 browser windows where I coudln't do that before.

Now on the other hand total freedom to run as much at the same time until the system locks up or crashes can be good and bad depending on the type of user. Power users might love it because they can push their device to the brink and learn when they are at the brink. Average Joe users it is bad because they will freak out and wonder why they are crashing or locking up or their device is so slow etc. I can get my PC to lock up running too much stuff at once. An easy way to do this is go to your picture directory and open like 50 or 100 pictures all at the same time. The PC will try to run a window for each picture but as those pictures load into memory the PC will begin to lag, then slow to a crawl, and if your lucky not freeze up so you can begin to close them and return to normal operation. Personally I like to have the duh silly you ran out of memory pop up letting me know you really don't want to open something else without closing something. Especially considering as a power user I have often locked up my PC or pushed it to a crawl running too much stuff all at the same time. I would end up doing this way too much on my mobile devices which have far less memory than my PC.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Performance should be identical - it's the same code.

If you open way too much stuff, you are likely to miss calls.

-- Rod
    yeah I have had the missing calls a few times with the f104 kernel, though I only had 3 apps open
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    The problem is not TMC itself. Note, it was discovered that the code didn't reflect a comment about the code in a part related to when TMC occurs. This part of the kernel was modified. And in testing with uber kernel we observe more can be opened before TMC occurs and the device still runs stable. Confirming that the code probably was meant to reflect the comment. By keeping the TMC routine users can run stuff worry free because if they run too much stuff at once then when there is really no memory left to load something then the user is made aware they have really run out of memory.
    Thanks Ryno! That makes a lot of sense! I was running UK for a while, and started running it at 1ghz. I didnt notice a significant increase then running it at 800... and was still hitting the TMC error, SO I RAN f105 and to me it seems the speed is significantly faster and havent had the TMC error but instead I do see the lag start to kick in after too many cards open... Your descriprion fits the bill w/ that. I am happy so far w/ F105 and have not noticed any issues yet and seems to be running pretty stable.
    Thanks for the feedback!
    Hey Uni, I just installed the sr-71, when my phone was doing a luna reboot, it has froze. Only displaying the Palm logo, and that's it. It doesnt do anything else. I did a few battery pulls, and let it sit without a battery for awhile. And when i turn it on, it stats on the palm logo. I cant doctor it because my computer doesn't see it. What can I do to fix my phone?