Page 48 of 53 FirstFirst ... 384344454647484950515253 LastLast
    just trying to find the testing feeds....thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ipalmpreo View Post
    ok, i've add the test feeds an still not showing them in preware or the compcache, n e suggestions?
    Which webOS version are you using? These kernels don't exist for all webOS versions
    just installed the compcache today. I am running this on my Verizon Palm Pre 1.4.1 I am installed the thunderchief kernel, and although I do see some speed increase, I also notice some slight freeze ups. And the occasional stalled screen, that happened when I tried opening a youtube link. It also as I mentioned, stalled a bit, even froze when I opened my apps for the first time using the thunderchief. But that it goes away after that first launch. Well somewhat anyway. Everything outside of that , the kernel works fine. But for me it still just isn't exactly show stopping compared to the super prekernel,which I just learned today is part of the team behind f105 and compcache if I am not mistaken. A friend of mine and I tried to search for any apps. Or patches that may conflict with compcache performance, but we could not find anything. Does that also include custome themes? What are the chances of a custom theme to conflict with the compcache, or any other fator for that matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by RoLLEmUp View Post
    just installed the compcache today. I am running this on my Verizon Palm Pre 1.4.1 I am installed the thunderchief kernel, and although I do see some speed increase, I also notice some slight freeze ups. And the occasional stalled screen, that happened when I tried opening a youtube link. It also as I mentioned, stalled a bit, even froze when I opened my apps for the first time using the thunderchief. But that it goes away after that first launch. Well somewhat anyway. Everything outside of that , the kernel works fine. But for me it still just isn't exactly show stopping compared to the super prekernel,which I just learned today is part of the team behind f105 and compcache if I am not mistaken.
    I can't wait for Marco to read that last line

[FYI: Marco did the original webOS 1.4.0 overclocking kernel that was packaged in various ways by various people, but the SuperPreKernel application was released by another person who included Marco's kernel in it against Marco's express wishes, and without any of the proceeds ever reaching Marco or anyone else involved in the development of the actual kernel.]

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 06/30/2010 at 12:19 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    lol. i pictured "adam bomb" (garbage pail kids).

[FYI: Marco did the original webOS 1.4.0 overclocking kernel that was packaged in various ways by various people, but the SuperPreKernel application was released by another person who included Marco's kernel in it against Marco's express wishes, and without any of the proceeds ever reaching Marco or anyone else involved in the development of the actual kernel.]

-- Rod
    I guess I haven't heard everything yet on the subject. I won't comment further on that note. And to make this post relative to the thread is 32MB compcache a good target for a medium user. One 3D game with maybe a few cards at same time. Or up to 12 cards without 3D games open at once? I've been using 32MB for awhile now and performance seems good so I wasn't sure if increasing it would matter or not.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevank View Post
    3.25 minute boot time. Wicked fast program speeds and launches... Now to run a battery duration test and see what I get.
    3.25 minute boot time? This seems like a looong time. My Sprint Pre has never taken more than 2.5 or so minutes to boot. Are any of the overclock kernels supposed to speed up boot time?
    I just updated to the lastest and greatest with F102A and Govnah. Absolutely love the speed and no more TMC errors...YAY!

However, my camera does lag on opening initially, but it's fine after that. Actually it smokes after I open it once! Not a big deal. Just have to remember to launch my camera at least before I decide to take pics.
    Palm loyalist: Samsung SGH-i500>Treo 600>650>755P>Pre- #1>>Pre- #2>Pre- #3>Pre- #4>Pre- #5>Pre- #6
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    3.25 minute boot time? This seems like a looong time. My Sprint Pre has never taken more than 2.5 or so minutes to boot. Are any of the overclock kernels supposed to speed up boot time?
    If the CPU is kept set to the faster speed for the bootup then I would expect a device to boot faster. How much faster is a matter for using a stop watch. Long is long to me so anything as slow as 2 minutes might as well be 5 minutes because I feel I have to multitask during boot time to not waste the time it takes to boot. If I recall correctly palm has improvements coming for the boot time but I don't recall if they gave a specific in the next update or the likes for it.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.

-- Rod
    Well that I did not know. I am very new to the community and also do not know all of the different devs behind the scenes. A friend of mine had passed along that info to me. I don't know how much of it is true or anything else beyond that.

on another note, the TChief is running better now. I still have a few hickups every now and then. Also, I would like to know if anyone could help me , pm if you would like; for some reason I ant adjust my compcache memlimit beyond 24mb. When I originally installed the TChief, my compcache memlimit was at 20480,somewhere in that range. If some one could pm with some helpful tips, that would be great. If not,perhaps at least a link. Thank you.
    overtime I am sure to get the hang of everything my PRE can do. I love this phone. I would like to commend you Marco on your hard work. I hope some of my feedback helps and contributes to your future work.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I guess I haven't heard everything yet on the subject. I won't comment further on that note. And to make this post relative to the thread is 32MB compcache a good target for a medium user. One 3D game with maybe a few cards at same time. Or up to 12 cards without 3D games open at once? I've been using 32MB for awhile now and performance seems good so I wasn't sure if increasing it would matter or not.
    Yes, what is the best memory setting for compcache?
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    Yes, what is the best memory setting for compcache?
    There is no "best" setting. If there was one, we'd just hard-code it.

The best setting for *you* depends on which device you have, and what applications you use, and how much email you get, and a hundred other variations in usage patterns and expectations.

But, if you want a place to start trying settings out, try 24MB.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    I've tried googling, searching the forums here, etc, but can't actually find where it says what the compcache memlimit DOES...

I understand what compcache is, but I don't know what the limit does.

Can someone enlighten me, or point me to a link that will explain?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermithrax View Post
    I've tried googling, searching the forums here, etc, but can't actually find where it says what the compcache memlimit DOES...

I understand what compcache is, but I don't know what the limit does.

Can someone enlighten me, or point me to a link that will explain?

Thanks in advance!
    Compcache: in-memory compressed swapping [LWN.net] and line 1100 onwards of git.webos-internals.org Git - kernels/patches.git/blob - compcache/compcache-0.5.4/ramzswap.c

-- Rod
    and line 1100 onwards of [url= Git - kernels/patches.git/blob - compcache/compcache-0.5.4/ramzswap.c[/url]

-- Rod

Great info. Thank you very much. That saved a lot of time on searching. Now I can use that time on reading up and learning. I am hooked on this site. I <3 Pre
    I have a neat little 4 custome profile experiment in the works. So far I am really loving my first profile that I created. 1005mhz max freq. 500mhz min freq. I've noticed less hickups and freezes upon launching from the launch bar and launcher pages. I'm noticing some lag however when I open my launcher menu, but opening the edit pages option really takes the cake. It's in slow motion. Happens everytime. I'll have more feedback. Which btw. This might be a dumb question, but Is this a good place for all compcache kernel feedback? Thanks.
    Sweet. Thanks Rod! I'm a systems administrator by trade, so I completely understand, but just couldn't find the info...

I wasn't sure whether or not the memlimit meant the amount of swap-space, or whether it did something when it hit that limit.

Thanks again!
    looks awesome. will give it a try
    Hi all,

After reading a little more in this thread, I decided to try the Warthog kernel, version 1.4.6.2.

I had installed the F105 Thunderchief kernel without any real issues that I knew of.

I do have a question or two about Warthog:

1) What is the highest temp in Fahrenheit should I be concerned about?

2) Do I need to use Govnah to make this work correctly and if I do need Govnah, what settings should I apply?

Thanks!

Rob

UPDATE: After installing Warthog and using Govnah to make sure that the 'compcache enabled' setting was set to TRUE and I made 'Memlimit' to 128MB, I have to say my Pre is running very smoothly. Things just seem to be smooth and not jerky as they were with the Thunderchief kernel. I'm not sure how else to explain how it's responding. Of course, it's fast! That goes without saying, but I'm more impressed by how smooth it feels. Just thought I'd post my initial reaction to it.
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 07/03/2010 at 10:50 AM.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)