Page 40 of 53 FirstFirst ... 30353637383940414243444550 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    @Sjsharksfan, listen you are about to seriously do some damage to your phone. Webos utility won't really fix the problem at hand. You need to completely bring back the phone to factory settings by running webos doctor on the device. (note) Please do not install any kernel(s) on the phone until you have done a webos doc on it.
    thanks Rush. I am pretty familiar with all of the homebrew apps and patches that we have had access to for a while. My first webOS update was back at 1.2 I think, somewhere around there. This is the first issue that I have came up on as I follow all the necessary precautions for everything that I do. I also have been overclocking ever since the first kernel was released, again, this was the only one that I have had an issue with removing.

I think my problem originated from installing the F104 kernel through webosQI 3.12 and when I tried to remove with preware, I didnt notice it didnt come off as it rebooted, I opened govnah to check the cpu speed, it was at stock, and I installed the UK from 2 days ago. When I went in to check that the UK was installed, I noticed that the F104 was still listed as being istalled.

so, when I dr (for the first time, not very familiar with that whole process) I will feel much better as it will be as close to new as I can get now. (fresh start, woo hoo, lol)

all good though, it shouldnt take too long I guess and will be much easier than trying to troubleshoot this I guess, but I would be totally stoked if I found a way to fix without a trip to the Dr.

thanks rush for your advise and I will be most likely taking it soon,..
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenoc View Post
    I just successfully uninstalled F104 via preware (installed it with WOSQI) and then succesfully installed UberKernel -39 (with the requisite device restarts, of course) about 10 minutes ago. Worked like a charm and is running great so far.

So, you went into Preware, went to installed Kernals, and uninstalled it? Then you installed Uberkernal? I read a few posts where Mr Withby stated that there were residuals when uninstalling F104.

I'm just clarifying because I feel the update is around the corner.

Thx
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Nope. I just didnt want passer-by users seeing something then thinking its gospel.

No lashing. It was a curious question as you all of a sudden make some startling revelations and a non-existent feed.

The kernels have different display names but use the same version #. Also updating from one to the other without uninstalling may not work as intended in the future. Preware handles this gracefully, but WOSQI will not currently. They might have the same ID but have different support files (or will). So anyone seeing that may frown at the end result.
    Ok.. so which one would you recommend at this point? PM me if you want to keep some of the details I 'stumbled on' out of the public...
    Quote Originally Posted by sratson View Post
    Ok.. so which one would you recommend at this point? PM me if you want to keep some of the details I 'stumbled on' out of the public...
    I'ce been using Preware to remove all of UnixPsycho's kernels without issue (even The Kernel That Shall Not Be Mentioned). This is news to me that the F* kernels can't come out cleanly with Preware. I use F102. I hope this isn't totally accurate with the Palm update looming.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by comiken205 View Post
    So, you went into Preware, went to installed Kernals, and uninstalled it? Then you installed Uberkernal? I read a few posts where Mr Withby stated that there were residuals when uninstalling F104.

I'm just clarifying because I feel the update is around the corner.

Thx
    F102, F104, F102A and F104A are all safe to uninstall using Preware, and will not leave residue.

If you use Orange+Tap, or if you do not uninstall F102 or F104 before overwriting them with a Palm recovery kernel, then it will leave residue. You need to remove this residue if you have done one of these actions before. The easiest way to remove this residue is to reinstall the F102 or F104 kernel (the ones from this thread, not the new F102A or F104A ones in Preware), and then uninstall it properly using Preware.

Note that the new F102A and F104A kernels in Preware now use the OTA-safe kernel packaging infrastructure that I put in place for UberKernel, and will no longer leave residue if you overwrite them with the latest -6 Palm recovery kernels in Preware.

The F102A and F104A kernels should also now be OTA-safe, although that has not been tested as thoroughly as UberKernel, and none of them have been tested with a real-life OTA scenario yet. They will also disable compcache if you have an unclean shutdown.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 06/18/2010 at 09:39 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I'ce been using Preware to remove all of UnixPsycho's kernels without issue (even The Kernel That Shall Not Be Mentioned).
    Yes, Preware can even remove that kernel, as long as you did not have it installed during an OTA update. If you had SPK installed during an OTA update, then you should visit the Doctor, and you should do it *NOW*.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Does only a certain F102 version show up in preware under kernals to uninstall? I ask this because when I open up preware there is not a list for an installed kernal but it is active and working. I would like to upgrade to the F102A since it is a version that should be OTA safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Note that the new F102A and F104A kernels in Preware now use the OTA-safe kernel packaging infrastructure that I put in place for UberKernel, and will no longer leave residue if you overwrite them with the latest -6 Palm recovery kernels in Preware.

I'm guessing this isn't actually "Live" yet? I have Kernel & Testing Kernel both (now) enabled and synced and they aren't there. Am I juming the gun?

M.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I'm guessing this isn't actually "Live" yet? I have Kernel & Testing Kernel both (now) enabled and synced and they aren't there. Am I juming the gun?

M.
    I already have the kernel that doesn't exist yet. Unless the nonexistent kernel was pulled it should be there.

M.
    They're definitely live, and both Marco and myself double checked the operation of the final versions that are now in the alpha testing feeds.

Note that F102A and F104A are only available for the Pre or Pre+ on webOS 1.4.1 and webOS 1.4.1.1

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsharksfan View Post
    thanks Rush. I am pretty familiar with all of the homebrew apps and patches that we have had access to for a while. My first webOS update was back at 1.2 I think, somewhere around there. This is the first issue that I have came up on as I follow all the necessary precautions for everything that I do. I also have been overclocking ever since the first kernel was released, again, this was the only one that I have had an issue with removing.

I think my problem originated from installing the F104 kernel through webosQI 3.12 and when I tried to remove with preware, I didnt notice it didnt come off as it rebooted, I opened govnah to check the cpu speed, it was at stock, and I installed the UK from 2 days ago. When I went in to check that the UK was installed, I noticed that the F104 was still listed as being istalled.

so, when I dr (for the first time, not very familiar with that whole process) I will feel much better as it will be as close to new as I can get now. (fresh start, woo hoo, lol)

all good though, it shouldnt take too long I guess and will be much easier than trying to troubleshoot this I guess, but I would be totally stoked if I found a way to fix without a trip to the Dr.

thanks rush for your advise and I will be most likely taking it soon,..
    the Dr apointment is the cure-all for anything, extremely easy process!!
    They're definitely live, and both Marco and myself double checked the operation of the final versions that are now in the alpha testing feeds.

Note that F102A and F104A are only available for the Pre or Pre+ on webOS 1.4.1 and webOS 1.4.1.1

-- Rod
    F102A and F104A are now available for webOS 1.4.2 (AT&T Pre Plus)

-- Rod

-- Rod

Well, I don't know. I have "feeds/webos-kernels/testing/1.4.1.1" enabled and I'm gettin' nothin'. Going there with the browser shows them to me but Preware's not seeing them.

I'l play with it in a bit. I'm sure it's something obvious my un-caffinated eyes aren't seeing.

M.
    Well, I don't know. I have "feeds/webos-kernels/testing/1.4.1.1" enabled and I'm gettin' nothin'. Going there with the browser shows them to me but Preware's not seeing them.

I'l play with it in a bit. I'm sure it's something obvious my un-caffinated eyes aren't seeing.

M.
    http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-...4.1-43_arm.ipk and http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-...4.1-43_arm.ipk definitely exist, and are listed in http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-...4.1.1/Packages

-- Rod
    Yea, I know they are there, I see them with the browser. The feed is right. It's just Preware isn't showing them to me. I dunno. It's not terribly important at the moment. I gotta finish packing my Son's and my packs for summer camp this week.

I'll figure it out.

M.
    Yea, I know they are there, I see them with the browser. The feed is right. It's just Preware isn't showing them to me. I dunno. It's not terribly important at the moment. I gotta finish packing my Son's and my packs for summer camp this week.

I'll figure it out.

M.

I got it sorted. My feed conf files were goofed. I copied the kernel feed conf to the test kener feed conf (to change the file's name), but forgot to change the LABEL of the feed in the test kernel conf file (but I changed the path on the server). So one was just over writing the other when pulling the Package.gz...

D'Oh!

M.
    hi uni, any changelog for 102 A? thanks
    The 'A' versions are designed to be functionally identical with the addition of being packaged in an OTA-safe way (using the same packaging scripts as UberKernel).

-- Rod
    so other than the benefit of being updateable through preware there is no improvement over the regular F102 kernel correct?
    what would the settings with UK be to emulate the f102 delta dagger settings?
    Last edited by mamouton; 06/19/2010 at 07:31 PM. Reason: wrong kernel name