Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    anyone else getting an error with 1.4.0.1?

EDIT: installed.
    Last edited by ericizzy1; 04/27/2010 at 11:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    anyone else getting an error with 1.4.0.1?
    It installed flawlessly in 1.4.0.

1.4.0.1? did you mean 1.4.1 or 1.4.1.1?
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    It installed flawlessly in 1.4.0.

1.4.0.1? did you mean 1.4.1 or 1.4.1.1?
    i was talking about the karnel. problem solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    the ipkg package format is easily extractable from a linux workstation.
    OK. I do not use Linux, so I searched and there is a utility, ported to windows, called BSDTar that did the work for me.

I understand that I have to test by using uImage file to boot. Is that ok?

Thanks.
    Recently installed and seems to work great. I've tryed cpu uber scaller and superpre kernell but they didn't go faster than 600. This one do exactly what its says, 500 with screen off and 800 when it's on. Thank you
    Have been using it for almost 24 hours now..
    Its been great...
    I am not a heavy cards user..

Things are fast.. Working similar to 800Mhz patch...

Battery Drain when not used is less than 2% (without 3G, Wifi, GPS)

Will perform battery test with Wifi (no 3G yet over here)
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    running great here as well. Feels "lighter" and more responsive than the other kernels, maybe it's placebo or is that what you meant by "overhead?"

Any way you can have it run @500Mhz on the touchstone while the screen is on? I prefer not to turn the screen off on the TS.

Great work, thanks!
    How does this compare to Super Kernel?
    Quote Originally Posted by BozackJenkins View Post
    How does this compare to Super Kernel?
    Install it and try it

It's really nice, runs at full speed when you're using it, runs at native speed when display is off. The best way to see the difference is to check it out yourself

I had overall better battery life and it charges cooler and faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokafondo View Post
    OK. I do not use Linux, so I searched and there is a utility, ported to windows, called BSDTar that did the work for me.

Thanks.
    7-zip also works for opening most compressed files (IPKs included).
    I installed this last night as my first custom kernel. I've been leery of the other kernels that just bump speed because of temperature issues and because I was satisfied enough with the stock speed.

I've noticed that this does run a little warmer than stock but it's hardly enough to make a difference in my sphere.

Even on the stock kernel, I've noticed my pre getting uncomfortably warm on the touchstone. For this reason, I'd feel better if this kernel also reduced to 500mhz while charging.

As it is right now, I've experienced no problems and the extra speed is noticeable and pleasant.

unixpsycho, thanks for your work.
  12.    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokafondo View Post

Thanks.
    you can send the uImage to bootie via the mem:// method or copy uImage to /boot/uImage2 or something then get into bootie and set the new bootfile then boot.
    Live free or DIE!
  13.    #73  
    For those that dont know the kernel that is used in those other "unnamed" products is my old kernel built for webOS 1.4.0. UberKernel and this kernel are built for webOS 1.4.1.1, also UberKernels will have more features going forward. Not to mention more development support in case the Android zombies take me away.

So the features i'm testing here will make it into UberKernel if all goes well, and can optionally be controlled via Govnah.
    Live free or DIE!
  14.    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by tercero12 View Post
    I installed this last night as my first custom kernel. I've been leery of the other kernels that just bump speed because of temperature issues and because I was satisfied enough with the stock speed.

I've noticed that this does run a little warmer than stock but it's hardly enough to make a difference in my sphere.

Even on the stock kernel, I've noticed my pre getting uncomfortably warm on the touchstone. For this reason, I'd feel better if this kernel also reduced to 500mhz while charging.

As it is right now, I've experienced no problems and the extra speed is noticeable and pleasant.

unixpsycho, thanks for your work.
    If charging and not using the Touchstone (without the patch) you can turn the screen off to scale to 500Mhz.

The Touchstone charging code is held in userspace so i would have to do quite a bit of hacking to control that in kernelspace. I can probably take a look at that.
    Live free or DIE!
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    If charging and not using the Touchstone (without the patch) you can turn the screen off to scale to 500Mhz.

The Touchstone charging code is held in userspace so i would have to do quite a bit of hacking to control that in kernelspace. I can probably take a look at that.
    can you tell if it's charging period in the kernalspace? To keep heat down I'd think people would want it to run at 500 regardless of charging method.

just a thought. Btw, it's been working ok for me. It did have to pull the battery last night because mine wouldn't come on. I'm guessing it locked up
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts

Thanks, this is by far the best kernel I have tried so far (I tried them all, including different scaling apps). Having it run @500 while on the TS is peace of mind while sleeping.
  17.    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by wicketr View Post
    can you tell if it's charging period in the kernalspace? To keep heat down I'd think people would want it to run at 500 regardless of charging method.

just a thought. Btw, it's been working ok for me. It did have to pull the battery last night because mine wouldn't come on. I'm guessing it locked up
    The driver is in the kernel but processes in the background manually control things like the LCD, brightness, and such. i'll dig around a bit.
    Live free or DIE!
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    This is the first kernel I have tried and have been using it for about a day and a half. Works great. My phone is fast and responsive without the lag I used to get when it was stock. Battery life seems unchanged. Stays cool while charging. Great work unixpsycho!
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerkang View Post
    installed w/o any problems using WebOS Quick Install (latest version). this is my new favorite overclocking kernel mod! tested it on and off and the speed drops to 500mhz the INSTANT the phone is turned off. goes back to 800mhz the INSTANT it is turned on. very nice! thanks unixpsycho!
    donation on the way....where do i send it?

So this will install with WebOS Quick Install with no problems? How about uninstall/revert back to stock kernal? I am a novice and dont really want to brick my phone. Id feel better if it was installed/uninstalled through preware or file coaster....but Im tempted to try it based on the good comments. Yes there is a tweak to turn screen off while on charging stone. So that should mean it charges at 550....correct? thanks unixpsycho!
    Quote Originally Posted by dtichanski View Post
    So this will install with WebOS Quick Install with no problems? How about uninstall/revert back to stock kernal? I am a novice and dont really want to brick my phone. Id feel better if it was installed/uninstalled through preware or file coaster....but Im tempted to try it based on the good comments. Yes there is a tweak to turn screen off while on charging stone. So that should mean it charges at 550....correct? thanks unixpsycho!
    Note that fileCoaster simply cannot install advanced homebrew packages like these correctly, because it does not support running installation scripts.

-- Rod
Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast