Page 38 of 53 FirstFirst ... 28333435363738394041424348 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    As long as you deal with the distro differences, no probs. If you come asking how to build it on Gentoo, you know what I'm gonna say ...

-- Rod
    I know exactly what you're gonna say: "Give me your directions!"

I have every intention of documenting how to get a Gentoo box cross-compiling for an armv7. I still have to get the packaging stuff down (which is all documented as well). I'll probably have to write an init.d script to auto-start novacomd in the default runlevel. I just run it manually when I need it ("sudo ./novacomd -b" -- I don't let it daemonize just so I can watch it find my Pre when I plug it in. Obviously an init.d script would daemonize).

Again, I'm in the woods all next week. Sure I can ssh home from the Pre (I hope Terminal doesn't break too badly next update...) and do stuff that way. I just don't know how well the solar thing works yet and I'll need every electron I can save in case of emergency.

M.
  2.    #742  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Assuming you're running Ubuntu 10.4, and have all the right dependencies installed:

Code:
    git clone git://git.webos-internals.org/preware/build.git
    cd build
    make toolchain
    cd kernels/uber-kernel-pre
    make
    Marco and I are currently moving F102 and F104 into the same autobuild area, so you'll be able to do the same for them soon too.

-- Rod
    Works fine in Fedora (far superior) as well.
    Live free or DIE!
    If i want to use petes scaling app do i need to use the f104 kernal?

also without any scalings apps does the kernal run normally at 800mhz?
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    For those n00bs who don't read:

PLEASE UNINSTALL BEFORE WEBOS UPDATE!!!!

Remember, you have a test kernel on your phone!

I take no responsibility for h0s3d and pwn3d Pre's for not uninstalling!!

Experienced users ignore this post.
    I apologize for asking a question on here. I thought this was a place that people could get answers, including noobs. I do indeed read. I haven't been on the forum in quite some time, and didn't realize my phone had been updated until I got on here the other day. I am just trying to make sure when I doctor this I know what to expect. I have not had to doctor my Pre prior to now, because I do read.

Us noobs do appreciate all of the work that the experts do to make this phone so good, but we do screw up once in a while.

Just to clarify, I didn't have the F102, I had an old 720MHz patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludvball View Post
    [SIZE="2"]I apologize for asking a question on here. I thought this was a place that people could get answers, including noobs. I do indeed read. I haven't been on the forum in quite some time, and didn't realize my phone had been updated until I got on here the other day. I am just trying to make sure when I doctor this I know what to expect. I have not had to doctor my Pre prior to now, because I do read.

I am not Rod or UnixPsycho or sbromwich or deiter or anyone even loosely affiliated with WebOS-Internals (so anything I say isn't an "official" statement).

1. You should never apologize for asking a question.
    2. (I think) That statement wasn't directed at you personally.
    3. I haven't had to Doctor my phone since before 1.4.0 hit because I do read also.

All that said, these warnings have been made quite clear for months now, since maybe February or so; if the reader does not understand what a kernel is and what the kernel does, then do not play with any of these kernels, especially UnixPsycho's and sbromwich's. These are super mega testing kernels and I/You/We can expect our phones to not boot again after installing one. Never mind that I've not had anything go terribly wrong yet, the fact is that these pre-alpha testing kernels are not for the faint of heart.

The ones that get released as UberKernel have already gone through these testing phases and have had a lot of the kinks worked out. For instance, compcache is just now making it to UberKernel. I've been using compcache enabled kernels from UnixPsycho for months now.

One of the original "hacks" to pep up our phones, you still had running. That's all it was; an idea. This is what I mean by super mega testing pre-alpha stuff.

~~~~~~~

You may have been able to avoid a Doctor visit by replacing the file "/usr/bin/LunaSysMgr" on your phone with "WebOS Repair Utility". With that you can tell it to replace a single, specific file. It worked fine for my phone.

~~~~~~~

I'm aware that I'll probably get chastised some for this post (especially for saying one way to fix the remains of The Kernel That Shall Not Be Mentioned).

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Works fine in Fedora (far superior) as well.
    Code:
     # emerge fedora
    Calculating dependencies... done!

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "fedora".
    Damn. Portage blows. I can't install that "fedora". Is it cool?

UinixPsycho, I have two questions:

1. In the .config you checked in last night, you have frame-pointers explicitly enabled. Why?
    2. Is there a reason these kernels don't have preempting enabled (at least the UK config I pulled in last night)?

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I'm aware that I'll probably get chastised some for this post (especially for saying one way to fix the remains of The Kernel That Shall Not Be Mentioned).
    Not by me. I'm very supportive of other people cleaning up the mess

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    @Ludvball,
    That answer wasn't an intentional disrespect toward you are anyone on precentral. It was only a loose word that sometime come out in a wrong way. Why am I apologizing for unixpsycho,because I sometime say things and people interpet differently. As for the old kernel your using,it would be better to upgrade to a newer version... Those version are not supported anymore. Have a good day.
    Last edited by rush; 06/18/2010 at 10:30 AM. Reason: correction
    I know exactly what you're gonna say: "Give me your directions!"

For Gentoo, all you need to is install u-boot-tools. I decided to use the most current version of it:

Code:
    # echo dev-embedded/u-boot-tools:0 >> /etc/portage/package.keywords/monolithic

# emerge u-boot-tools
    On this old box (PIV-3Ghz HT), it doesn't take long at all:
    Code:
    $ genlop -t u-boot-tools
     * dev-embedded/u-boot-tools

Fri Jun 18 08:23:37 2010 >>> dev-embedded/u-boot-tools-2009.11.1
           merge time: 2 minutes and 28 seconds.
    When done building, I get these successfully built:
    Code:
    ~/Sources/PreKernel/build/kernels/uber-kernel-pre $ ls -sh ipkgs/
    total 6.5M
    2.0K org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre_1.4.0-0_arm.ipk
    2.0K org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre_1.4.1-0_arm.ipk
    3.3M org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre_1.4.1-21_arm.ipk
    2.0K org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre_1.4.2-0_arm.ipk
    3.2M org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre_1.4.2-21_arm.ipk
    2.0K org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre_1.4.3-0_arm.ipk
    2.0K org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre_1.4.5-0_arm.ipk
    I know I'm supposed to use the "palm-package" util now, but I'm not sure what to do there. I'll try to figure it out in just a bit. I'm leaving work for a short while 'cause my Son is graduating 5th grade this morning and he asked me to be there.

M.

EDIT:
    And after hitting submit, it flashed through my head this post has absolutely nothing to do with Compcache Kernel. Sorry for the OT post. I'll go find a better thread...

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 06/18/2010 at 08:19 AM. Reason: :-\
    Code:
     # emerge fedora

1. In the .config you checked in last night, you have frame-pointers explicitly enabled. Why?
    2. Is there a reason these kernels don't have preempting enabled (at least the UK config I pulled in last night)?

M.
    The thing that I don't get about gentoo: The systems that would benefit from any performance gains by compiling everything specifically for that system are systems you'll wait a month or so for everything to build on.... :-)

I only wish that Windowmaker would stay up to date to be used with compiz fusion.

Oh crap. I'm off topic again, aren't I?

Hey, unixpsycho: I really dig the F102 kernel! (there, that's better!)
    : (){:|:&};:
    When done building, I get these successfully built:
    Code:
    ~/Sources/PreKernel/build/kernels/uber-kernel-pre $ ls -sh ipkgs/
    total 6.5M
    2.0K org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre_1.4.0-0_arm.ipk
    2.0K org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre_1.4.1-0_arm.ipk
    3.3M org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre_1.4.1-21_arm.ipk
    2.0K org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre_1.4.2-0_arm.ipk
    3.2M org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre_1.4.2-21_arm.ipk
    2.0K org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre_1.4.3-0_arm.ipk
    2.0K org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre_1.4.5-0_arm.ipk
    I know I'm supposed to use the "palm-package" util now, but I'm not sure what to do there.
    You've just done exactly what the WebOS Internals autobuilder does every 15 minutes. You've built the stable kernel feed.

So now you're ready to install one of those kernels with WOSQI, or put it in a feed for Preware, and you're done.

Look in the testing-kernels sibling build directory for the latest stuff. So that this post is on-topic, I'll note that Marco and I have just added F102A and F104A to that directory (yes, it took a while for me to upgrade our kernel building infrastructure to be able to handle the weird stuff that Marco always wants to do, but we got there eventually), and the autobuilder should build them and release them into the kernel testing feed soon ...

See http://git.webos-internals.org/?p=ke...git;a=shortlog and http://git.webos-internals.org/?p=pr...git;a=shortlog to see what it took us to get to this point ...

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 06/18/2010 at 08:57 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    The ones that get released as UberKernel have already gone through these testing phases and have had a lot of the kinks worked out. For instance, compcache is just now making it to UberKernel. I've been using compcache enabled kernels from UnixPsycho for months now.

One of the original "hacks" to pep up our phones, you still had running. That's all it was; an idea.
    M.
    Being that it can be weeks between times that I get on here, I am planning on sticking to only using stuff that makes it to Preware. It is much safer. LOL

I did remove the 720Mhz hack as soon as I realized my phone had been updated. I then installed Uberkernel and Govnah through Preware, and I started having this problem with universal search. My search for what to do brought me here.

Thanks for the information. I will search more for the other questions I have, or post in more appropriate threads. Sorry for taking this off topic.
  13.    #753  
    Code:
     # emerge fedora

M.
    1) some things in Palm's kernel would break if debugging functions were disabled. I spend alot of time removing them and alot of time with a hosed kernel. it'll be removed in due time. it can probably be removed now since F102/F104 removed huge pieces of code, but I just havent tried it.
    2) preempt works but it's terribly br0k3n with pulseaudio. sbromwich was playing with that. I like bleeding kernels but a preempt Pre kernel had bones sticking out and raw flesh exposed.
    Live free or DIE!
  14.    #754  
    Quote Originally Posted by ludvball View Post
    I apologize for asking a question on here. I thought this was a place that people could get answers, including noobs. I do indeed read. I haven't been on the forum in quite some time, and didn't realize my phone had been updated until I got on here the other day. I am just trying to make sure when I doctor this I know what to expect. I have not had to doctor my Pre prior to now, because I do read.

Us noobs do appreciate all of the work that the experts do to make this phone so good, but we do screw up once in a while.

Just to clarify, I didn't have the F102, I had an old 720MHz patch.
    Since you read you dont fall into that category .

My post was not directed at any one person. It was a reiteration of something that is almost 98% widely known of upcoming webOS updates. But there are always a few that just want to hop on the bandwagon without reading and install something then complain and yell (literally) in the forums about the phone not acting right after update. I have a short fuse for that.

Besides the inundation of questions like "what is a kernel?...what does this patch do?...what is Linux?..." I *do* answer questions here. Always feel free to ask.
    Live free or DIE!
    Will all new bleeding edge compcache updates go right to the preware kernel testing feed now?

Or will they be on your website first?
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    If i want to use petes scaling app do i need to use the f104 kernal?

also without any scalings apps does the kernal run normally at 800mhz?
    just the old selfquote hoping someone answers :/
    The latest UK build from the testing feed with screenstate 800/500 and compcache enabled is giving me epic batter life now for some reason.

After 12 hours including an hour of listening to music, 10mins of NOVA, 30mins of phone calls, about 20 texts and probably 20mins of using apps like facebook and salez and my battery is still 41%. That is insane :O

Combined with the no lag and seemingly infinite cards and ability to play PDK games whenever this is the best thing that has happen to the Pre since launch.
  18.    #758  
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    just the old selfquote hoping someone answers :/
    Starfighter should work with CPUscaler... Without a controller it will scale from 125MHz to 800MHz.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    The thing that I don't get about gentoo: The systems that would benefit from any performance gains by compiling everything specifically for that system are systems you'll wait a month or so for everything to build on.... :-)
    A person has to sleep and work sometime. KDE update? No problem. On my aging machine (*loves* Linux, though!) that's about 5 hours. I'm at work for 9 or so...

When I leave in the morning: "emerge -quDN @system @world" Hit enter and leave. I'll have a shiny new KDE build when I get home.

M.
  20.    #760  
    There shall be no "emerge" "apt-get" ubuntu gentoo p0rn filth in my thread!
    Live free or DIE!