Page 37 of 53 FirstFirst ... 27323334353637383940414247 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenoc View Post
    For what it's worth, I switched from UberKernel -21 to F104 about 4 days ago, and while I certainly have witnessed an improvement in performance, my phone has definitely seemed more prone to temperature spikes. It will jump above 40C suddenly and typically without an obvious reason (at times when all I have open is Govnah)... Last night the phone jumped to 50C when I hadn't even been using it or charging it.. I turned it off and left it for a while... It's been fine today, but I've had UberKernel on my phone since roughly a week after it was initially released to Preware and never seen the temperature that high until now. The temperature spiking didn't happen before (at least not anything close to this extent) either. However, when the phone is not misbehaving, F104 seems to run cooler than UK did. I'm about to switch over to the testing-feed version of UK to see how that compares.

Edit: I have been exclusively running the phone with the screenstate governor set to 800/500.
    It's been less than an hour, but the latest (testing) UberKernel is running super-cool (temperature-wise) on my phone so far... I've tried to get it to heat up by opening lots of apps and switching around between them like crazy (always worked before) ... and for once it seems to be taking it in stride. Very preliminary impression of course

Edit: Sorry this is off-topic a bit. I'll stop babbling about UberKernel in this thread.
    Last edited by Xenoc; 06/17/2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: See above.
    Xenoc
    :: Palm III -> Palm IIIc -> Palm Vx -> Samsung SPH-i330 -> Treo 600 -> 650 -> 755p -> Palm Pre (2nd) -> Verizon Pre2::

If you like electronic music... check me out:
    http://www.xenocmusic.com (needs updates ...)
    I been reading this thread for a couple days now and finally decided to install f104.

I had UK installed prior and took all the steps to remove it, and installed the f104 via WOSQI.

Today i noticed that i could install the UK with Compcache so i uninstalled f104 using WOSQI got an message that says *error* and it rebooted. Everything is acting normally, (running at 500 Mhz). Both WOSQI and Preware still show that i still have f104 installed although my phone is still running at 500 mhz. i've tried using preware to uninstall f104 and it tell me that it cannot rename the .bk file because it does not exist, and then reboots, but it still shows f014 as "installed"

Any suggestions? I'd like to get my phone back up to "speed" again.

*******Nevermind, figured it out......i just reinstalled f104 and then uninstalled it again. everything is good now!***********

Thanks again for the help and good work!
    Dave
    Last edited by Hernie; 06/17/2010 at 03:09 PM. Reason: figured out my own problem :-)
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFishGuy View Post
    Yeah, I did that I had the old kernel & my 1.4.1 update started on its own. I didn't know it would cause problems with this f102 kernel, my universal search worked fine up until I installed it.

Two questions:

1. Do I have to back up my usb portion of the Pre before doctoring? The last time I doctored i lost all my photos, music, etc. I thought I read somewhere that the newer version doesn't touch the user side of the partition.

2. Do I need to uninstall the f102 before doctoring?

Thanks again for pointing out the problem and the solution!!
    I seem to be having the same problem. I have the same questions TheFishGuy has. I don't want to mess anything up. This will be my first time Doctoring.

Thanks for any help!
    Quote Originally Posted by ludvball View Post
    I seem to be having the same problem. I have the same questions TheFishGuy has. I don't want to mess anything up. This will be my first time Doctoring.

Thanks for any help!
    its always best to save your personal data (music, videos) just in case.

And it is always recommended that you uninstall a custom kernel before you begin a doctor/install a different kernel
    Quote Originally Posted by ludvball View Post

Thanks for any help!
    The WebOS doctor does not erase your data on the USB partition as of like 1.3.1 or something like that. Pics and music should be alright.

I'd uninstall the kernal, only because it takes 2secs and its better to be safe than sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhp View Post
    Looking for any testers :^)
    It's an identical kernel temporarily marked as compatible with the rumoured next webOS version.

We won't have kernel source code for the next webOS version until some time (perhaps weeks) after it is released to phones.

We can either choose to have no overclocking kernels available during that period, or we can temporarily use a webOS 1.4.1 kernel until the real kernel source code is released.

So there is no secret information or code here ...

-- Rod
    I loaded the F104 on my Pre the other day. It worked at 800Mhz until I turned off the screen, at that point it switched to 125. When I turned the screen on again it was sooo slow, I checked govnah and it was still running at 125. I rebooted and got the same result. The F102 seems to work much better, anyone else experience this?
  8.    #728  
    For those n00bs who don't read:

PLEASE UNINSTALL BEFORE WEBOS UPDATE!!!!

Remember, you have a test kernel on your phone!

I take no responsibility for h0s3d and pwn3d Pre's for not uninstalling!!

Experienced users ignore this post.
    Live free or DIE!
    Just want to confirm. WOSQI is the proper way to uninstall F102/104?
    Quote Originally Posted by Croathlete View Post
    Just want to confirm. WOSQI is the proper way to uninstall F102/104?

Preware works fine for removal of 'Psycho's kernels.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Preware works fine for removal of 'Psycho's kernels.
    Yeah, both Preware and WOSQI are fine for advanced homebrew with pre-remove scripts that need to be executed.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Installed f104 on my Pre two days ago; I'm on conservation 500/800 with 20% freq.. So far, it's been snappier, although speed looks very similar with UK, just like the battery life.. However, now I'm able to open several cards without any hint of lagging.. I used the original set (screenstate 500/800) at beginning but the battery life is shorter, so I went on conservation and it seems to help the battery life.. I experimented and tried 800 performance and man, it was blazing! Wish I could keep it on that way, but I would need an extra battery..

Unixpsycho; I probably wouldn't still have my Pre, if it wasn't for you and your team..
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Yeah, both Preware and WOSQI are fine for advanced homebrew with pre-remove scripts that need to be executed.

-- Rod

Thanks, Rod. I should've answered dude's question more fully as you did.

:-)

M.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    phone is now usable with f104. Don't get tmc errors anymore like I did with uk . Thanks alot. I had 30 apps open and could still open a 3d game , before I couldn't have any open or have to restart my phone
  15. jhp
    It's an identical kernel temporarily marked as compatible with the rumoured next webOS version.

We won't have kernel source code for the next webOS version until some time (perhaps weeks) after it is released to phones.

We can either choose to have no overclocking kernels available during that period, or we can temporarily use a webOS 1.4.1 kernel until the real kernel source code is released.

So there is no secret information or code here ...

-- Rod
    I figured that it was a long shot; nothing ventured, nothing gained :^)

Of course, when the time comes my offer still stands.

jhp
    Quote Originally Posted by jhp View Post
    I figured that it was a long shot; nothing ventured, nothing gained :^)

Of course, when the time comes my offer still stands.

jhp
    When the time comes it will be available in the alpha testing feeds on an equal basis for everyone. We don't have secret alpha testing "clubs".

And even before it gets to the alpha testing feed, anyone who knows how to can build the latest kernel from our git source repositories ...

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    And even before it gets to the alpha testing feed, anyone who knows how to can build the latest kernel from our git source repositories ...

-- Rod

Are there actual direcrions on how to do it for the Pre? I'm no stranger to building kernels, and I'm fixing to get gcc on my machine to cross-comile for armv7. Allz Iz needz is how to do it for an embedded device like the Pre.

M.
    Are there actual direcrions on how to do it for the Pre? I'm no stranger to building kernels, and I'm fixing to get gcc on my machine to cross-comile for armv7. Allz Iz needz is how to do it for an embedded device like the Pre.
    Assuming you're running Ubuntu 10.4, and have all the right dependencies installed:

Code:
    git clone git://git.webos-internals.org/preware/build.git
    cd build
    make toolchain
    cd kernels/uber-kernel-pre
    make
    Marco and I are currently moving F102 and F104 into the same autobuild area, so you'll be able to do the same for them soon too.

-- Rod
    Assuming you're running Ubuntu 10.4, and have all the right dependencies installed:

Code:
    git clone git://git.webos-internals.org/preware/build.git
    cd build
    make toolchain
    cd kernels/uber-kernel-pre
    make
    Marco and I are currently moving F102 and F104 into the same autobuild area, so you'll be able to do the same for them soon too.

-- Rod
    You have a finely honed talent of making me feel very dumb from time to time, Rod. I don't know if you're aware of that or not...

Thank you, man! I will play some the next day or two then. I'll be away all next week (Summer Camp with my Son) so my Internet Access will be minimal. I have one of them solar charger things for my phone. We'll see how well it works!

M.

P.S.
    And, no, I don't use them "Hold Your Hand" binary distros... Gentoo for life! (since mid-2002!).
    You have a finely honed talent of making me feel very dumb from time to time, Rod. I don't know if you're aware of that or not...
    I assure you, it's not intentional. And not deserved in your case either.

I make the build instructions simple specifically so that I can remember them and so that they can be repeatable (especially by the autobuilder). It also means that everything is precisely documented and the documentation is always up to date, cause it's all encoded in the Makefiles.

P.S.
    And, no, I don't use them "Hold Your Hand" binary distros... Gentoo for life! (since mid-2002!).
    Hmm - that's going to fly in the face of the "repeatable" goal.

As long as you deal with the distro differences, no probs. If you come asking how to build it on Gentoo, you know what I'm gonna say ...

-- Rod