Page 35 of 53 FirstFirst ... 25303132333435363738394045 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm127 View Post
    How can i put the f102 kernel on my pixi?
    You cannot. Does the documentation for F102 state that it is Pre only?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Commando View Post
    I'm afraid that is impossible. The pixi uses a different CPU that does not support the same features the pre does.
    For overclocking, that statement is correct.

For compcache, we're at the beginning of looking at whether it can be implemented on the Pixi.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I got F102 installed.. so far, very nice.. I have brightness unlinked installed and like to keep the display at 1, but it seems it will only spool upto 800 if over 11? can that be changed?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The Universal Search problem is due to updating webOS past 1.4.0 before uninstalling the old 800 .sh kernel - by doing so you have caused it to put back the 1.4.0 version of LunaSysMgr which is causing this problem.

The only way to fix it is to webOS Doctor. This is why UberKernel is designed to be OTA safe, so this doesn't happen.

-- Rod
    Yeah, I did that I had the old kernel & my 1.4.1 update started on its own. I didn't know it would cause problems with this f102 kernel, my universal search worked fine up until I installed it.

Two questions:

1. Do I have to back up my usb portion of the Pre before doctoring? The last time I doctored i lost all my photos, music, etc. I thought I read somewhere that the newer version doesn't touch the user side of the partition.

2. Do I need to uninstall the f102 before doctoring?

Thanks again for pointing out the problem and the solution!!
    "There's a troll for every part of the interweb. Somewhere in a troll forum there's a troll suggesting they just follow the rules."

Palm needs to hire Jason Robitaille
    Quote Originally Posted by sratson View Post
    I got F102 installed.. so far, very nice.. I have brightness unlinked installed and like to keep the display at 1, but it seems it will only spool upto 800 if over 11? can that be changed?
    This should only be an issue with the screenstate governor. My workaround has been to use a different governor until this bug gets fixed.

Edit: You will need to switch to F104 to use this workaround.
    Quote Originally Posted by fryedchikin View Post
    This should only be an issue with the screenstate governor. My workaround has been to use a different governor until this bug gets fixed.
    It's not a bug. It's the only way to achieve this functionality that we know of.

-- Rod
    My Pre because extremely laggy the day after showing my nephew that I could have 4 games open at the same time while he couldn't even open 1 without getting the TMC. I noticed the only difference in the system was that today the memory usage was up to 239/65 on Govnah. All Settings in Govnah were stock and 0 other patches were instralled, Can someone explain why this may have happened?

EDIT 1: Could it have been a memory leak? I have not had a memory leak till today if so.
    EDIT 2: Also, since removing the kernel I have not had another incident with memory and have done exactly the same thing I showed my nephew.

Curiously stumped at this point.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    My Pre because extremely laggy the day after showing my nephew that I could have 4 games open at the same time while he couldn't even open 1 without getting the TMC. I noticed the only difference in the system was that today the memory usage was up to 239/65 on Govnah. All Settings in Govnah were stock and 0 other patches were instralled, Can someone explain why this may have happened?

EDIT 1: Could it have been a memory leak? I have not had a memory leak till today if so.
    EDIT 2: Also, since removing the kernel I have not had another incident with memory and have done exactly the same thing I showed my nephew.

Curiously stumped at this point.
    Which kernel were you actually running?

-- Rod
    Which kernel were you actually running?

-- Rod
    f104, sorry forgot to state that.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    It's not a bug. It's the only way to achieve this functionality that we know of.

-- Rod
    can you edit the value the governor uses?
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Thanks for the amazing work on these, unixpsycho. As far as cycling the screen after selecting a profile or setting the governor, that solved my "problem" of speed settings not appearing to save with f104. I could also change the screen brightness a degree or two and have the same effect.

Didn't see this in the documentation so trying to pad the thread with some good search terms.
    After running the f104 starfighter kernel for a few days I noticed a dramatic loss in battery life(Although never seen the TMC error) compared

to Uber Kernel, so I decided to switch back to UK. Thats where I'm stuck, I installed the stock pre kernel through preware, hit later on the

phone reboot. Then tried install to install UK everything went fine till I hit reboot. I watched the phone reboot it got to the point where the palm

logo should start glowing then the screen went black and it rebooted(endlessly) soo.. Tried the ole doctor which wouldnt detect the pre at all,

then I downloaded the WebOS Repair Utility(Thank you Jason) let that do its thing for awhile then rebooted and everything seemed to be

good. Till I tried installing UK one last time. Here's what it says in preware:

verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/extra/ramzswap.ko
    verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/extra/xvmalloc.ko

So I tried putting that into webos repair utility and it says no such file exists in the Doctor image. Any ideas what I did wrong? Do I just use the

cmd line to delete those files since they dont show up in the doctor? Are they just left over from starfighter? Sorry for the halp meh plox as a

first post..

P.S. Thanks to everyone that helped make an awsome phone so much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machine View Post
    After running the f104 starfighter kernel for a few days I noticed a dramatic loss in battery life(Although never seen the TMC error) compared to Uber Kernel, so I decided to switch back to UK. Thats where I'm stuck, I installed the stock pre kernel through preware, hit later on the phone reboot. Then tried install to install UK everything went fine till I hit reboot. I watched the phone reboot it got to the point where the palm logo should start glowing then the screen went black and it rebooted(endlessly) soo.. Tried the ole doctor which wouldnt detect the pre at all, then I downloaded the WebOS Repair Utility(Thank you Jason) let that do its thing for awhile then rebooted and everything seemed to be good. Till I tried installing UK one last time. Here's what it says in preware:

verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/extra/ramzswap.ko
    verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/extra/xvmalloc.ko

So I tried putting that into webos repair utility and it says no such file exists in the Doctor image. Any ideas what I did wrong? Do I just use the cmd line to delete those files since they dont show up in the doctor? Are they just left over from starfighter? Sorry for the halp meh plox as a first post..

P.S. Thanks to everyone that helped make an awsome phone so much better.
    Your mistake was forgetting to uninstall the F104 kernel.

Overwriting with the recovery palm kernel is a last-resort recovery method, and it seems that F104 installs an upstart file which does not get cleared but which causes infinite reboot problems when the stock kernel and then uber kernel are put back on (i.e. it violates one of the 7 principles at http://bit.ly/next-gen-kernels). This also means that anyone leaving F104 on when the next webOS update arrives may well have a very nasty surprise.

The kernel module files in extra/ are from UberKernel - they would do no harm by themselves. I believe your problem is another script left over from your incorrect F104 uninstall.

You probably want to remove the /etc/event.d/compcache file from F104 (which doesn't have the safety mechanism of disabling itself on a non-clean reboot - another of the 7 principles). I haven't verified this, but it's my first guess.

-- Rod
    Your mistake was forgetting to uninstall the F104 kernel.
    Ohman, I /facepalm

Well UK is back up and running, I just fired up the terminal app(sometimes I wish Internalz had an unlock feature for us lazy people) and deleted these 3 files:

/etc/event.d/compcache
    /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/extra/xvmalloc.ko
    /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/extra/ramzswap.ko

Thank you for your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machine View Post
    Ohman, I /facepalm

Well UK is back up and running, I just fired up the terminal app(sometimes I wish Internalz had an unlock feature for us lazy people) and deleted these 3 files:

/etc/event.d/compcache
    /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/extra/xvmalloc.ko
    /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/extra/ramzswap.ko

Thank you for your help.
    I've debugged this failure case by doing it on my device.

The /etc/event.d/compcache script that F104 installs is not removed if you don't uninstall F104 properly. And it executes on the next boot even though the F104 kernel itself is not there. Unfortunately, the F104 kernel modules (which are left in /media/cryptofs/apps/com.unixpsycho.kernel) *are* still there, and the script tries to load them (which fails, cause the kernel is different).

Basically, if you do the wrong thing with an experimental kernel which has not been designed to follow the 7 principles, then you have to expect that you're going to get burnt

Now, at this point it seems that you would still be able to boot the stock Palm kernel. So you don't know that you have a lurking fatal problem.

Now, what happens when you then install UberKernel -37 is you get an infinite reboot loop. I've verified that is the case. And it's caused by the stuff that's left over from your incorrect F104 uninstall, not by UberKernel.

To debug why it happens, I then used the WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor to boot the device into a recovery ramdisk kernel, mount the root partition, and delete the /etc/event.d/compcache file which F104 installed and which was not removed when you did not uninstall F104 correctly.

After doing that, the device booted fine.

So the moral of this story is to make sure you dutifully fulfil your responsibilities as an alpha tester as outlined in http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2511506 or else you're going to get burnt

Note that Govnah is designed to prevent this sort of thing happening to you, and if the compcache was enabled through Govnah's unclean-restart-safe startup scripts, you would not have got the reboot loop.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 06/17/2010 at 03:56 AM.
    I've debugged this failure case by doing it on my device.

The /etc/event.d/compcache script that F104 installs is not removed if you don't uninstall F104 properly. And it executes on the next boot even though the F104 kernel itself is not there. Unfortunately, the F104 kernel modules (which are left in /media/cryptofs/apps/com.unixpsycho.kernel) *are* still there, and the script tries to load them (which fails, cause the kernel is different).

Basically, if you do the wrong thing with an experimental kernel which has not been designed to follow the 7 principles, then you have to expect that you're going to get burnt

Now, at this point it seems that you would still be able to boot the stock Palm kernel. So you don't know that you have a lurking fatal problem.

Now, what happens when you then install UberKernel -37 is you get an infinite reboot loop. I've verified that is the case. And it's caused by the stuff that's left over from your incorrect F104 uninstall, not by UberKernel.

To debug why it happens, I then used the WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor to boot the device into a recovery ramdisk kernel, mount the root partition, and delete the /etc/event.d/compcache file which F104 installed and which was not removed when you did not uninstall F104 correctly.

After doing that, the device booted fine.

So the moral of this story is to make sure you dutifully fulfil your responsibilities as an alpha tester as outlined in http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2511506 or else you're going to get burnt

Note that Govnah is designed to prevent this sort of thing happening to you, and if the compcache was enabled through Govnah's unclean-restart-safe startup scripts, you would not have got the reboot loop.

-- Rod

thank you for this clarification Rod! outstanding!
    thanks rod! If this issue comes up can't we just visit the Doctor to cure all? Thanks
    I just installed the latest Uberkernel and Govnah and enabled compcache and 800mhz screenstate. It seems to run a lot hotter than the non-compcache stable uberkernel build. On the touchstone it idles ~39 degrees and with playing some NOVA I got it over 40 Degrees.

I don't know if those temps are considered safe or not but one time when it was at 42 degres then I put it on the touchstone it tripped out and restarted. I havn't seen any restarts with normal use so I think it must be temperature related.

Speed wise it seems on a par with the normal 800mhz uberkernel although the odd lag does appear with mass multitasking.

To conclude compcache support is AMAZING, no TMC errors, running 2 pdk apps and 10 normal apps and music still opens and scrolls super smooth on the normal pre! Thanks to all the legendary devs who are able to make this happen, this is another reason why webOS owns.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    This is the only info that I have been able to find for adding custom feeds in preware. Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals I couldn't find the name and url for the necessary feed for UK and alpha govnah.

In another thread I followed a link to this page Index of /feeds/webos-kernels/testing/1.4.1.1/ which has the kernel (do not see alpha govnah here) but when attempting to add the custom feed I get an error. Wrong feed "name"?

I'm not green to the pre and have been overclocking with UK and govnah. I would like to run this kernel, but only want to run the latest UK with govnah. Can someone please spell out how to add the custom feeds either through preware or wosqi?
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kdogokc View Post
    This is the only info that I have been able to find for adding custom feeds in preware. Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals I couldn't find the name and url for the necessary feed for UK and alpha govnah.

In another thread I followed a link to this page Index of /feeds/webos-kernels/testing/1.4.1.1/ which has the kernel (do not see alpha govnah here) but when attempting to add the custom feed I get an error. Wrong feed "name"?

I'm not green to the pre and have been overclocking with UK and govnah. I would like to run this kernel, but only want to run the latest UK with govnah. Can someone please spell out how to add the custom feeds either through preware or wosqi?
    Go here: Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals

There are 2 testing feeds to add. Should have the latest versions of UK and Govnah
    Palm V -->m505 -->Tungsten T3-->T5->Centro-->Pre!