Page 31 of 53 FirstFirst ... 21262728293031323334353641 ... LastLast
    You can use the top command on the Linux command line to see how much CPU is being used for each process, though this is only at the Linux process level. I don't know how much visibility you get into the pseudo-processes running inside Luna so it may not be very useful. Among other things, it keeps running totals for things like cpu time spent in both user and system while it is running.
    Quote Originally Posted by meandmypre View Post
    You can use the top command on the ... I don't know how much visibility you get into the pseudo-processes running inside Luna so it may not be very useful.
    Yeah. You don't get any visibility inside Luna. At least not that I've seen. That's what JsTop is for. Although, IMHO, it's not as useful as linux top. E.g. you can't sort by cpu usage.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    After you download the compcache f102 kernel, is there an icon for it your launcher or is it just always running in the background.
    Quote Originally Posted by babowling View Post
    After you download the compcache f102 kernel, is there an icon for it your launcher or is it just always running in the background.

it runs in the backround, no icon
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    it runs in the backround, no icon
    The kernel doesn't "run" in the background. The kernel is the operating system itself -- the core of the system. Everything else runs on top of the kernel and is controlled by the kernel including the phone UI. The kernel is actually what constitutes "Linux".
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    The kernel doesn't "run" in the background. The kernel is the operating system itself -- the core of the system. Everything else runs on top of the kernel and is controlled by the kernel including the phone UI. The kernel is actually what constitutes "Linux".
    Yet the kernel packaging infrastructure and homebrew distribution ecosystem that WebOS Internals has designed and put in place makes it seem like just another homebrew app or patch

-- Rod
    I'm having a problem with F104 where plugging in USB power drops the CPU speed to the minimum in screenstate. Anyone else experiencing this?
    Quote Originally Posted by ekpyr View Post
    I'm having a problem with F104 where plugging in USB power drops the CPU speed to the minimum in screenstate. Anyone else experiencing this?
    yes it drops. According to unix, it was design that way (I had the same problem)

you MUST install govnah with f104 to set the min frequency
  9.    #609  
    Quote Originally Posted by ekpyr View Post
    That's not a "problem". It is suppose to do that.
    Live free or DIE!
    Lately when my screen has turned off and when I try to turn it back on by opening the slider/home button press/power button press, it doesn't turn on the screen. I have to wait a while until it finally comes back up. Today I was waiting for the screen to turn on, then I received a call and that made the screen turn on.

I've had this problem before, but when the screen came back on, my phone would Luna Restart.
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    Lately when my screen has turned off and when I try to turn it back on by opening the slider/home button press/power button press, it doesn't turn on the screen. I have to wait a while until it finally comes back up. Today I was waiting for the screen to turn on, then I received a call and that made the screen turn on.

I've had this problem before, but when the screen came back on, my phone would Luna Restart.
    That sounds like normal Luna restart behavior. Mine does the same thing occasionally.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You should use the Fixed Speed 800 profile, and then close Govnah and anything else which could be trying to use the Govnah service to read the CPU temperature (e.g. Battery Monitor or any patches that do so).

Reading the CPU temperature periodically will cause the CPU to wake up, run the govnah service, transfer data across dbus, etc - all of which will suck power.

-- Rod
    The amount is less than 1mA per hour. After dozens of consumption tests on each poll interval the average mA per hour for a 24 hour period of the device being idle has not changed from prior to adding the CPU temperature check to battery monitor. I personally use 15 second interval to do most consumption testing. I won't go into more detail here unless requested that I add the info.

Quote Originally Posted by meandmypre View Post
    To get a sense of the power consumption of those services, you can leave the screen off and the phone idle and either turn on Airplane mode or turn off WiFi and at least disable data. I suspect you will find that the power consumption from when Govnah and Battery Monitor poll the Govnah service is very minimal and probably not noticeable compared with apps/services that create network traffic.
    This matches my testing. Periodic background things like polling a service seem to have negligible impact on consumption. You would have to poll every second to worry about that. Which is why shortly after adding 1 second interval to battery monitor I removed it and also the 5 second interval it previously had before I began continued work. Both drastically increased the consumption compared to the 15 second interval which is almost negligible over 1 minute and longer interval.
    Last edited by StoneRyno; 06/15/2010 at 12:37 AM. Reason: removed mistaken info
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    The amount is less than 1mA per hour. After dozens of consumption tests on each poll interval the average mA per hour for a 24 hour period of the device being idle has not changed from prior to adding the CPU temperature check to battery monitor. I personally use 15 second interval to do most consumption testing. I won't go into more detail here unless requested that I add the info.
    This matches my testing. Periodic background things like polling a service seem to have negligible impact on consumption. You would have to poll every second to worry about that. Which is why shortly after adding 1 second interval to battery monitor I removed it and also the 5 second interval it previously had before I began continued work. Both drastically increased the consumption compared to the 15 second interval which is almost negligible over 1 minute and longer interval.
    Thanks - that's great concrete data to work from. So as long as someone doesn't have an app or patch which polls more frequently than 15 seconds we can ignore the effect of that.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Thanks - that's great concrete data to work from. So as long as someone doesn't have an app or patch which polls more frequently than 15 seconds we can ignore the effect of that.

-- Rod
    Speaking of which, does anyone know how often do the top bar battery meter patches poll the batt info?

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Speaking of which, does anyone know how often do the top bar battery meter patches poll the batt info?
    I see no reason to think other apps and patches would be any different. However I am more than willing to test out any patches or apps in the same manner I am quantifying other consumptions. So far I am testing screen brightness at min and max to get a range, idle in airplane mode for baseline, idle out of airplane with each radio turned on etc. Eventually I will have raw data for mA consumed for just about everything. This is the next phase from my original research which established a typical users consumption rate of 2% to 8% per hour drain rate on the stock 1150mAh battery. Previously I used quantified time stats, like rated talk time and the streaming music thing that was done to gauge how long a full battery could do that until it auto shut down (can't recall which blog did that), to figure out usage cases.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    I'm trying to install this but with no success..I had previously UK, unnistalled, now when installing via WOQI i get a message: An error occured while attempting to run /tmp/ipkgScript.sh Cannot install kernel!.
    Any help?
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I see no reason to think other apps and patches would be any different. However I am more than willing to test out any patches or apps in the same manner I am quantifying other consumptions. ... Eventually I will have raw data for mA consumed for just about everything.
    Do you think you'll also quantify the impact that an app which periodically polls the network has on battery consumption? E.g. 15s is optimal for apps that don't poll the network. What is the optimal battery saving amount for apps that do poll the network?

I run Battery Monitor every day - mostly all day. IMHO the single biggest thing that impacts my battery is CDMA network usage. The stronger the signal the better. If I use wifi, even better.

BTW, one tweak to Battery Monitor that would be nice is the ability for it to automatically reset the starttime when the device goes off charger, so that I don't have to stop & restart the app in order to get an accurate dph% for discharge.
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 06/15/2010 at 06:01 AM.
    I use preset reset to reboot my phone at 4am every day. Over the last several days, I've been using F102, and when I wake up, I notice that it's stuck on 500MHz frequency. A manual reboot usually fixes it.

Just an FYI.
    Note that Marco and I are currently working on graduating the compcache kernel modules from the F102 and F104 experimental kernel stream to the stable UberKernel stream.

UberKernel 1.4.x-37 and Govnah 0.4.3 (both in alpha testing) are the initial steps. There is more tuning to be done, and we need better error handling at the extreme top end of memory usage (so that your kernel doesn't hard crash when you fill both your memory and your compcache swap area), but what's there should be a good start for alpha testing on the path to full compcache support in UberKernel and Govnah.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! F102

History
    Day One Sprint Pre user

Originally started with 800mhz .sh - worked great
    Changed to UberKernal and Govnah - eh... ok
    Now on F102 - Super Fantabuloso Awesome!

After installing F102 I was able to open 5 cards, then opened World Series of Poker (use to almost always give me TMC error), then opened another 5 cards, and then opened Deer Hunter (mind you slowed down considerably at this point)
    Never got a TMC error and after closing everything out phone was just as fast as before.

Since then:
    I have set Auto GC (Garbage Cleanup) in JStop and Disable Notifications.
    I have also "Set Logging to Minimal"
    - 1. Open the phone dialer.
    - 2. For Sprint/Verizon/CDMA: Dial ##5647 (##LOGS) and press SEND. For AT&T/O2/GSM: Dial #*5647# and press SEND.
    - 3. Tap "Change logging levels."
    - 4. Tap "Set logging to minimal."
    - 5. Tap OK to confirm.
    - 6. Tap OK again after it finishes.
    - 7. Reboot your Pre.
    - 8. Enjoy the performance boost!

I can't thank the Homebrew community enough for all they do! As others have said, you have made my wait for new hardware so much easier.

THANK YOU!