Page 25 of 53 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728293035 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    I don't think it's cause by the kernel,normally the batt drops percentage from 100 to 95 within two to three mins. Don't worry about it too much.

note. Batt almost never charge to it's fullest capacity,so when sometime it say 100percent it's really 97percent full.
    Would that explain why my phone said 82% when I was installing this, but yet when I was on webOSQI under device management it said 78%?

Why does it do that?
    I don't think it's cause by the kernel,normally the batt drops percentage from 100 to 95 within two to three mins. Don't worry about it too much.

note. Batt almost never charge to it's fullest capacity,so when sometime it say 100percent it's really 97percent full.
    I'll try it again for a bit. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    Would that explain why my phone said 82% when I was installing this, but yet when I was on webOSQI under device management it said 78%?

Why does it do that?

Because, for whatever reason, Palm has the UI display a different % than the *actual* number the battery is reporting itself at. Why? Who knows. Palm (that I'm aware of) hasn't said.

M.
    I've always wondered myself why the % always drops from 81% to 78% for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    hmm. Last time I looked UberKernel screenstate version didnt handle <500MHz.

I could be wrong, since it's a compile time option now and i've been too busy to keep up.
    Govnah certainly let me *set* that. But then again, since I haven't manually checked that I haven't checked to see whether it actually went under there. I've seen others setting minimum as <500 for UK, so if it doesn't go below 500 Mhz, I don't think that's common knowledge.

That would explain a lot then. I may try F102
    Last edited by subversiveasset; 06/10/2010 at 10:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmihalek View Post
    I'll try it again for a bit. Thanks!
    Went from 84% down to 63% in less than 15 minutes.

Love the speed, but no way I can live with that kind of battery draw.
    Maybe one day we will have a batt that actually do the job it was meant to do... Goodnight mobile accomplishers. You know we will be doing this **** tomorrow again. Lmao!

Trust me even if you go down to stock speed,you're going to experience the same drop in percentage. My phone does the same thing in 15mins drop from 95 to 82percent. This will happen regardless,then when it reach in the 60-75percent it slows down a little,then after 50percent it goes down 5percent every 10mins. This happen with are without a overclocking kernel. You won't get any better usage than that,only thing you can get is worse. The batt is the culprit not the kernel. Goodnight.
    Palms needs to add your kernel to WebOS right now. It rocks. I can open almost ALL of the 3D games I have AT ONCE! And I can still play them too... Amazing!
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    under the govnah settings for screen state, it says touchstone is "0" - what does that mean?

The pre sits at 500mhz while on touchstone right?
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    Palms needs to add your kernel to WebOS right now. It rocks. I can open almost ALL of the 3D games I have AT ONCE! And I can still play them too... Amazing!
    it is quite impressive
    I had 20 cards open and honestly, it barely slowed down
    not bad, must say lol
    This kernel is absolutely amazing. Props to the author. If Palm is smart they will include your performance tweaks in webOS 1.5.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    BTW with this kernel the Pre is officially faster than the iPhone 3GS (OS3) in the sun spider benchmark. iPhone scores 16.5 seconds and my Pre just scored 14.2.

Amazing work! Donation coming.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I posted about CPU temperature recently without considering battery temperature not knowing that it's own maximum temperature. I posted about it in this post in the uber kernel thread. I figure it would be of interest to those in this thread and using this kernel but instead of duplicating any discussion about it I thought it best to link to it.

I was really talking about uber-kernel. So the question still stands...
    If the kernel has a memory leak, which I doubt, it would be present in all kernels including palms. I'm fairly certain all the memory leaks known are app related. For example I know some web pages cause memory leakage with the browser. And I suspect is the most common cause of the too many cards error since most everyone uses the browser to visit all sorts of places. The process to identify what the cause of a memory leak is not pleasant but it really does help everyone when they can be identified. In the recent past facebooks website was causing memory leak, as a result of user reports it would appear they identified the cause as recently I can visit the facebook website on any of my devices (PC and mobiles) without worry that any second it will lock up and require unsafe removal of power rather than proper shutdown or reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Because, for whatever reason, Palm has the UI display a different % than the *actual* number the battery is reporting itself at. Why? Who knows. Palm (that I'm aware of) hasn't said.

M.
    The reason for this is simple. The average user thinks something is wrong if they see their battery drain and charge and drain and charge over and over between 95% and 100%. So developers design a modified reporting method which reports 100% for anything over 95%. Initially some will observe what appears to be a rapid discharge but it is just the reporting method catching up to the actual percent. Also to prevent premature auto power off, at least I assume because of this, they also have it report the percentage slightly higher than the true percent. I have noted using the show actual battery percent that my pre with 2600 battery will run for another 20 minutes when the actual percent is zero. Obviously it makes sense then to report say 2% or so to the user in cases like that. Hope this makes sense and explains things without being too wordy.

First short term analysis isn't the best way to determine battery consumption. Ideally one should monitor, using battery monitor , it over 24 hours and repeat for a week. Then compare the results to doing the same at stock speeds and palm kernel if you want to. Going back from a custom kernel may not be necessary for testing but going back to palms kernel would be more scientific like for result comparisons.

Second one usage patterns and daily routine play a large part in how fast the battery is consumed at any moment and also over the whole day. Just the screen on alone without doing any significant CPU and cell, data, wifi radio use will consume at least 100mA per hour at minimum (10%) brightness. So the screen on for 15 minutes will use about 2% of an 1150mAh battery. Add in all the other factors for use etc that occur in that 15 minutes one can easily use 20% of the 1150mAh battery. If you like I can do a run down of how much most of the stuff you do on your device consumes. But it would be best if we did that privately as to not clutter the thread with posts for that. So to finalize the second point depending on your activities and background tasks overclocking may have significant increase in battery consumption. The good news on that front is the user can have the option to control the speed and only overclock when really needed and stick to stock speeds when not to reduce consumption.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    There are only two factors that affect screenstate in any way: LCD brightness and charger current.

-- Rod

So I have a home charger that is maybe pumping out too much current? Anyhow, screenstate compache works for me, and works well...but when I plug in the home charger (1000mah), it will stick at 125.

Only until I remove the charger it will go back to 800..

**plugging in to charge via USB port works fine though

Anyway to get around this?
    @StoneRyno,you seem to have mistakenly read my statement. My question was asking if there would be a fix to tweak the memory leak in some application,that seem to cause the TMC on the Sprint palm pres'. Compcache have that tweak built into it,so I was wondering if that is possible to also have it in Uber-Kernel. :-)
    Hmmm... getting error--package not found.
    what does touchstone 0 mean in the govnah settings? Someone asked above as well. I am curious. Thanks!
    how do i subscribe to a thread with out posting?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    how do i subscribe to a thread with out posting?
    On the full site, at the top of the thread: Click "Thread Tools", then "Subscribe".