Page 23 of 53 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223242526272833 ... LastLast
    I tried F104 Starfighter, with screen state between 250 and 800, and my Pre could NOT deal with it. Frequently lost signal, freezes upon restart...refusal to turn on after shutdown sometimes (I thought my pre was a goner, but eventually, I did get it to turn on).

I went back to Uberkernel, w/ screen state between 250 and 800. It worked like a charm before and worked like a charm after. Although I await seeing further development of the compcache kernel.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    is there anyway to install this through the terminal on the pre itself while at work i cannot use quickinstall on my work computer ... didnt want to wait till 8 hours later to do it lol
  3.    #443  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Hi Marco, I think I've found the reason these screenstate kernels sometimes go to 500Mhz and stay there no matter what settings I use, it seems that after the 20% battery alarm, it goes down to 500Mhz, and even if I recharge the battery it won't go again to 800Mhz.

Has anyone else noticed this?
    There is nothing in this kernel that measures battery life or scales based on battery life.

There must be some other process running on your Pre doing this.
    Live free or DIE!
  4.    #444  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Are you sure about that? Reading through the code, I can't see anywhere which would cause screenstate to change it's behaviour in any way over time. There are only two factors that affect screenstate in any way: LCD brightness and charger current.

Marco, can you think of any reason why RRaburn would be observing something like this?

-- Rod
    I would think it's something that dont get setup properly during a warm boot due to a previous crash or whatever. Sometimes happens.

I usually recommend a battery pull after installing dev kernels to start clean. As you know, you may reboot or shutdown the phone but it's not really shutdown.
    Live free or DIE!
  5.    #445  
    Quote Originally Posted by subversiveasset View Post
    I tried F104 Starfighter, with screen state between 250 and 800, and my Pre could NOT deal with it. Frequently lost signal, freezes upon restart...refusal to turn on after shutdown sometimes (I thought my pre was a goner, but eventually, I did get it to turn on).

I went back to Uberkernel, w/ screen state between 250 and 800. It worked like a charm before and worked like a charm after. Although I await seeing further development of the compcache kernel.
    hmm. Last time I looked UberKernel screenstate version didnt handle <500MHz.

I could be wrong, since it's a compile time option now and i've been too busy to keep up.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    There is nothing in this kernel that measures battery life or scales based on battery life.

There must be some other process running on your Pre doing this.
    I know, but even if I don't use Govnah and I fiddle around with the /sys files, I can't get it to go over 500Mhz. I'll test again today, maybe it has to do with the fact that after 20% the Pre lowers the backlight intensity.

Will report later, in the meantime I'll drain my battery with a few 3D games @ 800 Mhz
    Last edited by NuttyBunny; 06/10/2010 at 09:41 AM.
    well after messing with F104 for maybe 12 hrs, I had a great run with it. Memory management was awesome but the only prblem was lagging when going through menus. Overall great kernal
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    well after messing with F104 for maybe 12 hrs, I had a great run with it. Memory management was awesome but the only prblem was lagging when going through menus. Overall great kernal
    I get that sometimes. Just restart Luna (not the OS, just Luna) and it'll be fine. I've been getting myself in the habit of restarting Luna in the morning, and my phone can stay glitch free for a week. I'm sure it can stay longer, but, Psycho releases revs just often enough where I don't know how long I can go. I just rebooted after 4 days of glitch-free uptime because I'm running another battery drain test. That came after 6 days of glitch-free uptime.

While counting in days isn't terribly impressive uptime for a Linux Box in general, it is impressive in relation to the phone totally freaking out every couple days and rebooting itself...

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by subversiveasset View Post

I think your Pre is simply not happy below 500MHz. Last I checked UK doesn't screen state below 500, no matter what you set Govnah to.

With F104 I can set my speeds anywhere between 125 to 800 in any combination and it works fine. I have a newer Verizon PrePlus and it's CPU seems to be happy anywhere. I settled on screenstate 250/720 for the moment. 125 on the low end sometimes resulted in a second of lag when waking up. 250 doesn't seem to suffer that as noticeably. I change between 720 or 800 for the top end as sometimes I don't see much improvement at 800 so I spare the CPU cycles.
    Well, I've tried all overclocking methods and this kernel is by far my favorite. I don't even have Govnah installed right now, just the F102 kernel and it works the best for me. Phone is fast, stable, and I've not seen a single Too Many Cards error since I installed it, which to me is actually more important than the speed boost.
    Marco, one thing I noticed that's likely an issue with any of these variable speed kernels is that when I set Govnah to 250/720 for example, and boot the phone, it seems the phone boots at 500 for a short period, then uses 250 for a good period of time, and 720 for some period. When set to 125/800 I noticed the boot process was pretty slow. Would it be possible to set the kernel to boot at 500 or greater only to speed up boot times, then let Govnah set the screen off lower?
    btw i just posted my reaction of how it went by video recording my nephew while having a bunch of a apps open on here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2502258
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

i know im gonna sound like a nub for asking but do f102 and f104 need lsdiff and gnupatch to work?
    My question to you guys that made these patches/kernels/apps is, where on earth you guys come up with these things for the phone. Damn! You guys are awesome.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    btw i just posted my reaction of how it went by video recording my nephew while having a bunch of a apps open on here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2502258
    maxima2k53, just got your tip over on the C40 thread. Thanks. Now for the "look how much I still don't know" question of the day.

I'm running the uberkernal 800mhz kernel w/Govnah app. How do I install the new F104 kernel? Do I go back to the original kernel via Preware, then install the F104 ipk I just downloaded via QuickInstall?

Thanks again... Let me know.
    Last edited by mjrei; 06/10/2010 at 04:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    For those that wanted Compcache support in the kernel, here you go!

Features from these kernels:

Common Features:
    • Westwood TCP Congestion algorithm.
    • Ported 2.6.24.7 kernel
    • Recompiled with newer compiler
    • Memory tweaks in kernel (no more TMC errors)
    • Initial Compcache 0.5.4 built in and activated.
    • CPU temp patches added

F102 Delta Dagger
    • Only with Screenstate governor. Scales from 500MHz

F104 Starfighter
    • All CPU governors compiled in
    • Screenstate scaling from 125MHz
    • Govnah is recommended

If all goes well some features *might* end up in Preware kernel feed. Don't ask when.

Send flames to /dev/null. Only worthwhile posts.
    So where do I go to find this kernel? Where in the feed it is?
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    So where do I go to find this kernel? Where in the feed it is?
    The first page of this message thread has the download link, as usual!

It is not available in Preware.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    The first page of this message thread has the download link, as usual!

It is not available in Preware.

Rob
    Question: I've downloaded the kernel ipk. Is it as simple as installing it with QuickInstall? What about installing it with or over the Uber kernel?

Thanks in advance.
    OK,thank you I saw the link but I guess when your using mobile it's a little different to get the right link page. Will check it out on my pc later on. Anything to get rid of the TMC errors.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjrei View Post
    Question: I've downloaded the kernel ipk. Is it as simple as installing it with QuickInstall? What about installing it with or over the Uber kernel?

Thanks in advance.
    Everyone is saying that it's much safe to remove any other (custom) kernels first, then do your install.

That way if you have to uninstall this new kernel, it does not accidentally put back a custom kernel and puts back the factory default kernel Palm.

So be safe, remove any custom kernel first and also before you upgrade to the new WebOS software whenever that comes out.

Then install your new custom kernel.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)