Page 22 of 53 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    While the optimization increases the amount of memory, it also takes a performance hit. It has to pack it up and compress it which accounts for the performance degrade. This only occurs (I believe) once you start to run low on memory so it starts packing it.
    yeah i had 31 if i believe apps running, i used to have 20 something max running, but at 31 i didnt have any TMC errors but it froze a lot but still allowed me to throw away cards sllloowwwly lol
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

now like i need 31 open apps at the same time, but at least this kernal works ok for now (memory wise) ima keep on testing it see if it freezes or crashes on me
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Hi Marco, I think I've found the reason these screenstate kernels sometimes go to 500Mhz and stay there no matter what settings I use, it seems that after the 20% battery alarm, it goes down to 500Mhz, and even if I recharge the battery it won't go again to 800Mhz.

Has anyone else noticed this?
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Hi Marco, I think I've found the reason these screenstate kernels sometimes go to 500Mhz and stay there no matter what settings I use, it seems that after the 20% battery alarm, it goes down to 500Mhz, and even if I recharge the battery it won't go again to 800Mhz.

Same here.
    Here are my observations. I've only had the kernal installed for 2 hours and will continue observation and testing.

The cards open up, BLAZING fast! The messaging, email and calendar app all opened up before the card had time to flash. To me, that is a huge improvement. I wouldn't have time to swipe the card off if I mistakenly chose the wrong app. This is sweet.

Next, I had 18 cards open and then opened HAWX. As we all know, HAWX is a frakking memory HOG! With 18 cards open, HAWX managed to open, albeit very very slow like. The Pre then became very sluggish. After swiping HAWX off the screen, all returned to normal.

I do notice that immediately after "waking" my Pre, that it is sluggish for about 1-2 seconds. I attribute this to the 250MHz state of the processor. Once that 1-2 seconds passes, the Pre is back and ready to kick some ***** and take names.

One thing I noticed on Govnah is that I couldn't save any profile names of the process I wanted to create. Basically I have to just select the governor I want, screenstate in my case, then select the High and Low speeds of the processor.

I'll continue to test the Pre and allow for the new governor and my Pre to become acquainted with each other. I'll post any screweyness here.
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post

So what happens after you recharge and try to change the setting again? Will it go to the settings you set or stay at 500Mhz? Have you tried to reset and see if that helps?
    Quote Originally Posted by comiken205 View Post
    So what happens after you recharge and try to change the setting again? Will it go to the settings you set or stay at 500Mhz? Have you tried to reset and see if that helps?
    Of course a reset fixes things, after charging to more than 20% (but a full restart, not just Luna), but that isn't practical

There's a problem somewhere, something is sticking the kernel speed to 500Mhz after the battery passes the 20% mark and leaves the speed there
    this isnt OTA safe is it?
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    this isnt OTA safe is it?
    Not exactly. An update will just overwrite whatever this kernel implements most likely. It would be best to uninstall this before updating. I generally WebOS Doctor my Pre to every update instead of updating OTA. Provides a clean install.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Not exactly. An update will just overwrite whatever this kernel implements most likely. It would be best to uninstall this before updating. I generally WebOS Doctor my Pre to every update instead of updating OTA. Provides a clean install.
    im guessing this kernal will be implemented into the UK soon?
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

im guessing this kernal will be implemented into the UK soon?
    That took me awhile since I thought you were referring to United Kingdom. Rwhitby has expressed interest in compcache and is letting Unixpsycho experiment with it before he reaches any conclusions with implementing it into Uber-Kernel.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    That took me awhile since I thought you were referring to United Kingdom. Rwhitby has expressed interest in compcache and is letting Unixpsycho experiment with it before he reaches any conclusions with implementing it into Uber-Kernel.
    alright thanks for the info, i do hope it does get integrated, makes my phone so much more usable and dont have to worry about the TMC error anymore, anyways ill be sure to uninstall compcache 104 when the next webOS update comes out!
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

I'm glad to hear this.

alright thanks for the info, i do hope it does get integrated, makes my phone so much more usable and dont have to worry about the TMC error anymore, anyways ill be sure to uninstall compcache 104 when the next webOS update comes out!
    I do hope so too. I only have too many cards with a few apps. The browser, preware and assasin's creed even when open by itself and even after a fresh reboot. Typically the too many cards error will appear a short time after the has been opened and is still open. Basically at that point webOS does some sort of massive cleanup and empties any memory that isn't part of the OS and the running app. At least I assume this is what is happening because mode switchers background task gets relaunched and attempts to generate the default profile again resulting in too many card error again when it tries to launch the apps I load by default. WebOS by itself seems to be a memory hog in these cases since one expects not to get the error in such a manner as I described. JStop always shows less than 20MB in the bar at the top which I assume means I always have less than 20MB of free memory out of the 256MB even when nothing but the webOS background apps stuff is running.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Actually, the way it works is that all the WebOS Internals kernel hackers get together and collectively decide what is stable and repeatable enough for Uber.

We all have input into each of the kernels in play (uber-kernel-pre, psycho-kernel-pre and sbromwich-kernel-pre) - all three are part of a continuum of various stages of kernel experimentation and deployment inside WebOS Internals.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Marco's F104 enhances performance and efficiency!

F104 w/o Govnah figures out what speed is needed in screensaver after about a day of stablization. My Sprint Pre can now run radio apps w/o interruption when the screensaver shifts the freq to 125MHz. It is interesting that the screensaver mode with an app running on the first day of F104 operation almost always dropped from 800 to 500MHz. Also, a battery temp of 36C suggests nothing is being stressed and battery life should benefit.

The following freq table shows that the Pre has stabilized and to shift mostly between 800 & 125 since a recent restart.
    root@palm-webos-device: cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/trans_table
    : 800000 720000 600000 550000 500000 250000 125000
    800000: 0 0 0 0 0 0 6
    720000: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    600000: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    550000: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    500000: 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
    250000: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    125000: 7 0 0 0 0 0 0
    root@palm-webos-device: cat /proc/cpuinfo
    Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 3 (v7l)
    BogoMIPS : 124.51
    ill be testing this kernal tomorrow, but anyways, i've been using it tonight and the memory management is awesome and hasn't froze on me yet (only on opening 31 apps it lagged lol)
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by RRaburn View Post
    F104 w/o Govnah figures out what speed is needed in screensaver after about a day of stablization.
    Are you sure about that? Reading through the code, I can't see anywhere which would cause screenstate to change it's behaviour in any way over time. There are only two factors that affect screenstate in any way: LCD brightness and charger current.

Marco, can you think of any reason why RRaburn would be observing something like this?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    BogoMIPS : 124.51
    I am wondering y mine says

BogoMIPS : 796.91
    Quote Originally Posted by zeushunt View Post
    I am wondering y mine says

BogoMIPS : 796.91
    because yours is running at 800mhz while rraburn is running at 125
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by amateurhack View Post
    Lol! Okay, Rob, since you dropped the "current" designation from your other post, I'll have you know that my Sprint Motorola MotoQ9c does about a week on standby and will last 2 days of regular use. But it sure as heck can't do everything my Pre can do...except document editing. It does that waaayyyyy better than my Pre! ;-)
    I give in! Uncle!

Rob LOL!

PS Actually, I guess I was thinking of the newer phones. But if I remember correctly, my Treo 650 could run for a few days (at least on standby).
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)