Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast
    Nice, really nice!
    No video flickering cause we're not scaling, standard speed while screen is off so all current background apps should work as intended, less speed means less heat so can tether at 500Mhz...

Thanks unixpsycho!

Testing this right now!

Update:
    Well, it's feeling great, it charges faster and cooler than using 800Mhz, excellent!
    I was using the 800Mhz kernel (last .sh version), for 1.4, but let me tell you, this is even better!!
    Last edited by NuttyBunny; 04/27/2010 at 11:59 AM.
    Awesome work. I left my usb cable at home, but I'll try this when I get home tonight.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Question: Why even have it running at 500Mhz when the LCD is off? Why not drop it to 250Mhz or something low like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by wicketr View Post
    Question: Why even have it running at 500Mhz when the LCD is off? Why not drop it to 250Mhz or something low like that?
    Because if you have several apps running in the background maybe they can get slow?

Thinking about the music player, or Pandora or Grooveshark...

Working at 500Mhz you can rest assured that your apps will work at least the way they were tested originally
    installed w/o any problems using WebOS Quick Install (latest version). this is my new favorite overclocking kernel mod! tested it on and off and the speed drops to 500mhz the INSTANT the phone is turned off. goes back to 800mhz the INSTANT it is turned on. very nice! thanks unixpsycho!
    donation on the way....where do i send it?
    Last edited by rogerkang; 04/27/2010 at 01:39 PM. Reason: update
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wicketr View Post
    Quite a few Pre-s don't wake-up from 250mhz very well...

K
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Over the last 2 hours I've been playing with it, performance has been quite good with normal use, but battery life isn't good at all. I've got 15% drain per hour. Part of that was spent in a basement classroom with poor reception, however, so take it with a grain of salt. I'll play with it more in a normal area and see how it behaves.

From my (meager) understanding of compcache, we should see the greatest benefits when running more apps at once, right? Since the normal system + 2-3 apps fit just fine in RAM, having potentially faster swap wouldn't make too much of a difference.

A question: with compcache enabled, is normal swap disabled entirely, or is it only used after the virtual ram disk, or is there a way to do so?

Thanks Marco!

John
    Unix once again coming thru for us. Just threw this on my pre, i'll test it over the next couple of hours and come back with some (hopefully) good results. Thanks Again!
    So this came a little quicker than expected...

I installed the kernel, and went to browse the app catalog and also preware to get the Battery Monitor app... When i brought preware to the front i noticed my screen started to get some blotches and i noticed that scrolling became veeeeery laggy and choppy.

Also, i felt the screen and it became VERY hot to the touch.

Im not sure if this is just a random problem that will only affect my phone, but i just wanted to put this out there and let everyone know my experience.

I installed the kernel, and went to browse the app catalog and also preware to get the Battery Monitor app... When i brought preware to the front i noticed my screen started to get some blotches and i noticed that scrolling became veeeeery laggy and choppy.

Im not sure if this is just a random problem that will only affect my phone, but i just wanted to put this out there and let everyone know my experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post

Maybe your Pre was doing some background activity.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    Over the last 2 hours I've been playing with it, performance has been quite good with normal use, but battery life isn't good at all. I've got 15% drain per hour. Part of that was spent in a basement classroom with poor reception, however, so take it with a grain of salt. I'll play with it more in a normal area and see how it behaves.

From my (meager) understanding of compcache, we should see the greatest benefits when running more apps at once, right? Since the normal system + 2-3 apps fit just fine in RAM, having potentially faster swap wouldn't make too much of a difference.

A question: with compcache enabled, is normal swap disabled entirely, or is it only used after the virtual ram disk, or is there a way to do so?
    The normal swap is removed and the ramzswap device added as swap.

So if you dont use alot of apps you will never see it use compcache.
    Live free or DIE!
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post

Do a battery pull. This kernel is no where close to the other kernel so artefacts may be left on the DSP and such.
    Live free or DIE!
    hi marco. what do u mean by "This kernel is no where close to the other kernel "
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    HELP! My pre wont boot up, any way I can still remove the .ipk?
    P.S. I keep getting to the "glowing" palm logo, then it reverts back to the regular "palm" screen....endless loop.....I tried battery pulls and everything.

EDIT: I let it run its course of looping, and it finally booted up....False alarm.
    Excuse me. Is there a binary image of the kernel available, to test it by using remote kernel load? Thanks.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokafondo View Post
    Excuse me. Is there a binary image of the kernel available, to test it by using remote kernel load? Thanks.
    the ipkg package format is easily extractable from a linux workstation.
    Live free or DIE!
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    hi marco. what do u mean by "This kernel is no where close to the other kernel "
    Alot has been stripped out, schedulers changed, new governor, quite a bit of custom code added to kernel, etc... This is far from stock as you can get... only sbromwich's kernels are further from stock than mine .
    Live free or DIE!
    Unix I installed and didn't see the scaling down with screen off I tried cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq
    cat /proc/cpuinfo
    and they all showed the 800mhz i am restarting to see if that fixes
    got it,thank you. Also, when on touchstone, I still see the clock after the screen goes off. Is it on 500 or 800?
Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast