Page 14 of 53 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
    battery temp in device menu
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Any chances of newer versions of compcache? I think there is better garbage collection in version 0.6, and i do notice I seem to get the TMC error after the phone has been powered on for over a day. I'm guessing it might be stale pages in the zswap
  3.    #263  
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    Any chances of newer versions of compcache? I think there is better garbage collection in version 0.6, and i do notice I seem to get the TMC error after the phone has been powered on for over a day. I'm guessing it might be stale pages in the zswap
    What do you mean by better garbage collection? This version includes the swap notifier which is suppose to clean up compressed pages when freed from swap.

The only features I see in the new version is support for multiple backing stores and a control app. Also the new version doesnt support old kernels like what Palm is using.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    What do you mean by better garbage collection? This version includes the swap notifier which is suppose to clean up compressed pages when freed from swap.

The only features I see in the new version is support for multiple backing stores and a control app. Also the new version doesnt support old kernels like what Palm is using.
    "Also the new version doesnt support old kernels like what Palm is using"
    hi marco, r u reffering to 1.4.5.1 or to something else ur cooking ?
  5.    #265  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    "Also the new version doesnt support old kernels like what Palm is using"
    hi marco, r u reffering to 1.4.5.1 or to something else ur cooking ?
    The newer version of compcache 0.6.0.

I have only been rebuilding the kitchen for my testing feed and thinking about cooking KSM into the kernel.
    Live free or DIE!
    rebuilding and cooking sounds good when it comes to u. looking forward for future betas :-)
    Does Jason R's latest CPU Temp Warning patch work with the compache kernel 1.4.5.1?
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post

You answered my question. (And I was admittedly using bad terminology.) I thought it was in 0.6 that improved reclaiming pages. And I was afraid that the newer versions didn't support the rather old kernel Palm is using.
    I know Ive asked this before and Im almost sure I saw it somewhere on this thread but cant find it....but what is the linux command to check cpu speed? THANKS!
    Hi all,

I just noticed this new kind of kernel this evening (have backed off PreCentral for the past few days).

I would like to give it a try and just want to make sure I just downloaded the latest version, which came over as 1.4.5.1?

I have a Sprint Pre with version 1.4.1.1 of WebOS, just double checking if this will work?

I currently have install Super PreKernel.

If I read the thread correctly, all of that needs to come off first and then I can try to install it and give it a whirl.

And of course, not to sound like a newbie, but I figure I need to remove this before the next upgrade of WebOS, which according to everyone is coming in about 2 weeks?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Hi all,

I just noticed this new kind of kernel this evening (have backed off PreCentral for the past few days).

I would like to give it a try and just want to make sure I just downloaded the latest version, which came over as 1.4.5.1?

I have a Sprint Pre with version 1.4.1.1 of WebOS, just double checking if this will work?

I currently have install Super PreKernel.

If I read the thread correctly, all of that needs to come off first and then I can try to install it and give it a whirl.

And of course, not to sound like a newbie, but I figure I need to remove this before the next upgrade of WebOS, which according to everyone is coming in about 2 weeks?

Rob
    yep, you have the most current version.

Yes, you do need to remove the SPK BEFORE you install this kernel.

And yes, it is always recommended that you remove kernels before a new update. (we can always try and put it on afterwards to see if it works )

Other than that, i hope you enjoy it as much as i have!
    Quote Originally Posted by dtichanski View Post
    I know Ive asked this before and Im almost sure I saw it somewhere on this thread but cant find it....but what is the linux command to check cpu speed? THANKS!
    command for that is cat /proc/cpuinfo
  13.    #273  
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    Does Jason R's latest CPU Temp Warning patch work with the compache kernel 1.4.5.1?
    It should work.
    Live free or DIE!
    I've been trying 1.4.5.1 over the weekend. This is the first time I use this kernel with compcache. I was using UberKernel before with the performance governor set at 800Mhz.

Here are my observation (I haven't made any real measurement though).

Performance wise, it does seem a bit faster than UberK. This shows in the browser with less checkboard showing when browsing. Scrolling in the launcher seems a bit less smooth though (will have to go back to UberK to be sure).

Battery seems better too. After a complete day, the battery seem to have a higher charge left (more that 50%). Weekend day are less intensive... I do read my feeds and tweets, but rarely listen to music (from the Pre).

The big issue I have is that after aomething like a day and a half, I start getting TMC errors. This was an issue I rarely encountered with UberK. I know that if I keep Twee open for a long time, it start eating up memory, but there must be another issue as when I start getting TMCs, they keep coming more frequently up to a point where I cannot open any applications even with no card already open.

I also noticed that before TMCs, the system is slowing down a lot (garbage collection I guess), but once it settles, it's returns to spiffyness while still getting TMCs.

I'll try doing some measurement (especially for battery life) in the next few days and will get back with my results.
    Quote Originally Posted by ukabu View Post
    I've been trying 1.4.5.1 over the weekend. This is the first time I use this kernel with compcache. I was using UberKernel before with the performance governor set at 800Mhz.

Here are my observation (I haven't made any real measurement though).

Performance wise, it does seem a bit faster than UberK. This shows in the browser with less checkboard showing when browsing. Scrolling in the launcher seems a bit less smooth though (will have to go back to UberK to be sure).

Battery seems better too. After a complete day, the battery seem to have a higher charge left (more that 50%). Weekend day are less intensive... I do read my feeds and tweets, but rarely listen to music (from the Pre).

The big issue I have is that after aomething like a day and a half, I start getting TMC errors. This was an issue I rarely encountered with UberK. I know that if I keep Twee open for a long time, it start eating up memory, but there must be another issue as when I start getting TMCs, they keep coming more frequently up to a point where I cannot open any applications even with no card already open.

I also noticed that before TMCs, the system is slowing down a lot (garbage collection I guess), but once it settles, it's returns to spiffyness while still getting TMCs.

I'll try doing some measurement (especially for battery life) in the next few days and will get back with my results.
    do you use jstop by any chance? that will really cut down on your TMC errors.

also, as i have suggested to a couple of other people, there are patches that you can download here that were made by mamouton with sbromwich's code. It also aid's in bringing down the frequency of the TMC errors.

EDIT: about the patches referenced above. PLEASE read steve's first post. and i'd aslo suggest reading the first few pages to know what exactly the patches do, and also the risks that come with installing them. i can speak on behalf of myself only that these patches have cut down my TMC errors
    Just my 2 cents, but this kernel blows UberKernel away for me. The performance coupled with jstop is astounding compared to uberkernel. I am really digging this, PLUS my relatively new Pre seems to get along with the 125 - 800MHz scaling. NO issues as of yet after a day.

Also jstop seems to report generally much lower idle usage, with slightly *higher initial app loading usage but once they are up and running, it is again generally lower than it was prior to this kernel.

But performance wise this kernel is killer.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smknutson View Post
    Just my 2 cents, but this kernel blows UberKernel away for me. The performance coupled with jstop is astounding compared to uberkernel. I am really digging this, PLUS my relatively new Pre seems to get along with the 125 - 800MHz scaling. NO issues as of yet after a day.

Also jstop seems to report generally much lower idle usage, with slightly *higher initial app loading usage but once they are up and running, it is again generally lower than it was prior to this kernel.

But performance wise this kernel is killer.
    The biggest plus for me is that my phone rarely ever feels warn, let alone hot, with this kernel. And I have noticed that lower operating temperature seems to yield increased battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    The biggest plus for me is that my phone rarely ever feels warn, let alone hot, with this kernel. And I have noticed that lower operating temperature seems to yield increased battery.
    I always forget about that when working with battery life situations. I like to help people get the most out of their batteries. Definitely if heat is extreme I'd say 65C+ the hardware (cpu particular) won't be as efficient meaning increased power consumption for the task(s). Also the increased heat, as a result, on the battery may factor in addition to that. Plus the more heat and reduced efficiency can also cause stability issues. At least it does when overclocking PCs.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Works very very well, thanks a lot, 2 days of use, no issues to report.

Thanks again!!
    Up and running over a week now and I'm very pleased with the overall performance. I still wish we could have a method to have it auto select a lower CPU speed <500, esp when on the Touchstone and all it's doing is charging. Future kernel option with some new Touchstone app?