Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
    Any tips for those of us who get constant freezes at 125-250mhz?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    Any tips for those of us who get constant freezes at 125-250mhz?
    are you using an app to set the frequency?
    Yes, I tried CPUScalerUltimate, but no matter what settings I try, they won't stick after a reboot. It always defaults back to screenstate 125-800mhz.
    if you just use the default kernel with no app to control the frequency does it do the same thing?
    Nope, no freezes or anything unless I manually try to scale the CPU down to 125 or 250mhz.
    Psycho,

Is it possible to build the "Yeah" TCP congestion control into your next rev? Generally I use the "westwood" control because it specificly mentions it's better for wireless connections, but, the "Yeah" control specificly says it's better for (to paraphrase) "flaky" connections which (to me) is a category a cell phone would certainly fall into. I'd like to play with the two and see which gives a "smoother" signal.

I've switched my home home wireless machines (Gentoo!) over to Yeah from Westwood and I have seen no adverse effects. If anything the connections do "feel" a bit "smoother". Perhaps "consistantly available" might be a better way to say it.

Thanks!
    M.
  7.    #207  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Psycho,

Is it possible to build the "Yeah" TCP congestion control into your next rev? Generally I use the "westwood" control because it specificly mentions it's better for wireless connections, but, the "Yeah" control specificly says it's better for (to paraphrase) "flaky" connections which (to me) is a category a cell phone would certainly fall into. I'd like to play with the two and see which gives a "smoother" signal.

I've switched my home home wireless machines (Gentoo!) over to Yeah from Westwood and I have seen no adverse effects. If anything the connections do "feel" a bit "smoother". Perhaps "consistantly available" might be a better way to say it.
    Compile with YeAH TCP and default to Vegas?
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Compile with YeAH TCP and default to Vegas?

That would be cool. I've just been setting that stuff in /etc/sysctl.conf rather than slap it into an upstart script. It's all easily changeable!

Thank you.

M.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Compcache kernal adopters should not be too hasty to install a separate scaling app.

I installed 1.44 kernel and verified the 125-800 MHz speed with screen off-on. Performance of RadioTime, Broadcast Radio, and MLB Gameday Audio initially died at 125MHz. When I turned off WiFi, the EV-only audio was erratic at first. After about an hour of continued trials the Pre's screen transition evolved toward stablily with reduced impact on the audio output. This almost uninterrupted audio continued after switching WiFi back on. Awesome work Unixpsycho!

I also observed much lower battery drain with MLB Gameday running at 125MHz. This app is a notorious energy pig. With the audio running into small speakers, the battery discharges even while plugged into the USB port. The Pre steadily increased charge and battery temp remained below 40C. Perhaps the Pre will not wilt during 9 innings at the ballpark?
    Any chance of firing up that custom Preware feed?
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Oh my.
    Every time I reboot, my Pre freezes when the screen comes on.
    I know it's working before that, because the clock is correct.
    I was using the uberkernel with Govnah, but it wasn't working for me.
    I used your other 800mhz kernel (that I can't find anymore) with no issues.
    Any help appreciated. [while I sit here and panic]
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Oh my.
    Every time I reboot, my Pre freezes when the screen comes on.
    I know it's working before that, because the clock is correct.
    I was using the uberkernel with Govnah, but it wasn't working for me.
    I used your other 800mhz kernel (that I can't find anymore) with no issues.
    Any help appreciated. [while I sit here and panic]
    I have the same problem. With mine, the Pre would boot, once up the screen would turn off. When I would wake it up, the screen turns on and would freeze. I think the phone is dropping to 125mhz and locking up.

I watched the boot up and when the Pre was fully booted and before the screen turns off, I went into Govnah and changed the screenstate settings from 125mhz min to 500mhz min.

It works fine now. I ended up installing a script that sets the min setting at boot.

Hope it helps.

K
    Quote Originally Posted by kevank View Post
    I have the same problem. With mine, the Pre would boot, once up the screen would turn off. When I would wake it up, the screen turns on and would freeze. I think the phone is dropping to 125mhz and locking up.

I watched the boot up and when the Pre was fully booted and before the screen turns off, I went into Govnah and changed the screenstate settings from 125mhz min to 500mhz min.

It works fine now. I ended up installing a script that sets the min setting at boot.

Hope it helps.

K
    Same here, my phone doesn't like 125mhz either, along with 250. I have yet to try a script, though. I'm not sure where to start with a screenstate script, could you point me to where to begin?
    My Pre (Sprint) has some issues with 125. It doesn't lock up or dump or anything, but it just doesn't like coming out of it too much. 250 isn't as bad. I just Govnah and set the min to 500. I'll probably just put a upstart script in, but, with the Palm update looming, I don't know what their kernel wil do when told to scale to 800.

Yes, the obvious "fix" is delete the script before the update reboots my phone. That reqires a short-term memory which is something I routinely forget to change the batteries in...

M.
    Anyone else experience their Data connection (EV icon) disappears when going into lower frequencies (125 and 250)? I lose all ability to transfer data.

My data won't return unless i restart the phone. Resetting data connection does not fix it. On my pre before my current one these lower frequencies worked great.

This is not exclusive to this compache kernel as it occurs with Uber as well.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    Same here, my phone doesn't like 125mhz either, along with 250. I have yet to try a script, though. I'm not sure where to start with a screenstate script, could you point me to where to begin?
    I have zipped my script and attached it to the email. Just use wosqi and send the file to /etc/event.d

Here is the text of the script if you don't want to d/l the attachment:

start on stopped finish

console none

script
    # Set governor
    echo "screenstate" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

# Set min frequency
    echo 500000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
    # Set max frequency
    echo 800000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq

end script
    Attached Files Attached Files
    so is it my understanding that everyone who is having the "freezing" issue is using/or has govnah installed?
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I don't believe the issue is govnah. Most/many Pres don't handle anything below 500mhz.
    Psycho,

Like many others, my phone and my GF's don't care for the default of 125MHz too much either. Her's has dumped after closing the Camera app and trying to wake it up (turn scren on). Mine hasn't dump when running at 125, but the screen didn't always want to come on. I would have to open and close the slider a few times to wake it up.

I've been running my min at 500 (via Govnah - I haven't actually copied my upstart script over yet). I just walked her through doing the same. I've also asked to leave BattMon running all day tomorrow to check that.

I had mine running most of the weekend and today. I've been averaging around 2.5% per hour. I don't know what her's did today running at 125 because I forgot to remind her to leave it running today.

I have had zero issues with Too Many Cards. Since you bumped CompCadh up to 20M, I thought I might, but haven't. I also lowerd my /var/run mount to 7M because I've never seen mor than 48K there, so I have a bit more unallocated RAM than the "normal" Pre. I did not do that to my GF's Pre, and she has not ran into "Too Many Cards". I opened up 15 cards with no issues (including the camera!).

Overall, this kernel is a winner. I don't know If I agree with the 125MHz default, but that's not my choice to make.

BTW, Linus release '34 today. There's a good number of Arm updates. There's one to enable the L2 cache on OMAP. I don't know if that's a next step for you or not!

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevank View Post
    I don't believe the issue is govnah. Most/many Pres don't handle anything below 500mhz.
    well as far as i've collected. everyone who is having the freeze issue is using govnah. i just have this kernel installed w/o govnah and it clocks down to 125 as it should and wakes up to 800 without any lag or freeze. Which leads me to believe that it is in fact govnah thats causing the issue when scaling down to 125