1.    #1  
    Hey everybody. I have had my pre for about 4 months(but I have been lurking around this website since its inception.) and I have to say, this has been the only device that has truly encouraged me to start developing for it. The question is, where do I start? I am involved with FIRST robotics, and program for autonomous and teleoperated robot control using LabVIEW, and I also use Applescript for my own personal use, so I am not a beginner to all programming, just web programming. Are there any good books/websites that I should read first? What tools should I use(Ares vs. Eclipse, etc.)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mike
    I suggest you first go to developer.palm.com and check out all the info and download the Palm SDK on your PC/Mac/Linux machine to get started. You can also get the book by Mitch Allen for WebOS Programming which is very helpful. You might also get some basic books on HTML, Javascript, and CSS programming (all web-based languages and styles).

I use Eclipse for my Palm App development since it is free and there is a WebOS-specific plugin. The Ares tool by Palm is also useful for rapid construction of apps, but you still need to know WebOS to fill in the "guts" of your app. Good luck!
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    See my signature for my tutorials. I use Notepad++ with the SDK myself.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    Definitely start with developer.palm.com, great resource. This link http://bit.ly/dkBe4K will take you to their tutorial for a simple app. Then just keep reading the rest of their content.

Checkout the sample code in the SDK, LightWeightApplication does a bit more than HelloWorld, but both are good starters.

For Javascript check out "JavaScript: The Good Parts" by Douglas Crockford (I actually just bought it tonight).

Then when you get stuck, post your questions here.

Good Luck!

David
    --
    twitter: cybler
    Also, depending on what kind of understanding you have of classes/objects, I would encourage learning those concepts. Once you've learned the concepts, look at how they apply to javascript.
    Classes & Objects:
    Class & Obj Javascript:
    Once you've learned the programming side, get interested in the styling, that is CSS.
    Basics:
    More Advanced:
    Transitions (animation):
    I tried to post links to all of these topics but I could not because I don't have 10 posts yet!

It's a good base, and a lot of work. But programming never came easy!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    You can also get the book by Mitch Allen for WebOS Programming which is very helpful. You might also get some basic books on HTML, Javascript, and CSS programming (all web-based languages and styles).
    Anyone have a similar book suggestion for html?
  7.    #7  
    Just wanted to say thanks for everyone who gave me their suggestion. I'll be looking into this stuff and if I have any questions I'll be sure to post!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtopper View Post
    Actually, two very good ones:

HTML, XHTML, and CSS, by Elizabeth Castro

Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML

I prefer the first for the classes I teach, but I know a lot of students like the 2nd.

Also, if one is looking for WebOS programming:
    Practical Palm Pre WebOS Projects

I like this book over the Mitch Allen one, actually.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    Quote Originally Posted by mtopper View Post
    There actually isn't a lot of HTML programming, most of the work is done in the javascript code and CSS. Use this site for a good HTML and CSS reference: W3Schools Online Web Tutorials.

David
    --
    twitter: cybler
    Also, if one is looking for WebOS programming:
    Practical Palm Pre WebOS Projects

I like this book over the Mitch Allen one, actually.
    I agree with this completely. I own both books and the Practical Palm Pre one is quite a bit better. Especially since it covers several different projects instead of just one which will give you a broader view of developing for webOS in general. I'm about halfway through the book and I've just submitted my first app to Palm for inclusion in the app catalog. It gave me a really great jumpstart, no doubt.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Fantastic stuff folks!

Thanks for the help!