Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    just recently i have started having problems when i use my pre phone app... all i hear is static tech suppport had me do partial wipe. prob fixed then after enabling developer mode prob returned, turned dev mode off prob fixed... i do have the 800mhz and some other patches btw. should i doctor or what?
    Awsome username. That was my first computer. Thought it was badass cuz I could run windows 3.1 on it. Anyhow, Turning dev mode on/off shouldn't affect your phone call quality. All it does is open up services so novacom can push/pull data to and from your device. If it is consistently causing the problem then it's likely that there is something running on your phone that is firing up when dev mode is activated. Personally, I'd backup/doctor/wipe and then start reinstalling all my stuff checking it in dev mode every step. But before that, I might try removing the 800mhz patch and any others that affect the phone app. Just to see. Also, are you just using the 800mhz or are you using it in conjunction with a CPU Scaler and a Heat Monitor. If not, you might want to try putting those on. It could be that your phone is heating up excessively with the phone active(the voice and 3g radios actually can generate a fair amount of heat) or for some reason your cpu is scaling up and the excess EM is interfering with your speaker.
    Overclocking the phone (especially with an ondemand governor) can cause the problems you mention. I would recommend stepping back to the stock kernel with the userspace (standard) governor, and testing again.

Cheers, Steve
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    ok so I feel like an *****! Spoke to palm rep about a different problem I hsd along with the phone prob... The restore seemed to fix the phone issue so I thought it was a software problem. Now I have properly diagnosed the prob OREO! My pre makes the noise during calls but if I pinch the top left corner of the phone the compression fixes it. So my question now is how do I get the hardware fixed. I bought the phone from a friend and do not have the insurance plan. Doesn't palm give a 1yr warranty though? Should I contact palm or sprint? Obviosly I'll change the cpu back to stock but do I need to remove all patches and doctor too?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I actually have the exact same problem. On calls, all I get is a crackling static noise...was actually thinking of going back to the Sprint store and getting them to replace the phone. In my case I don't think it's dev mode that's the culprit. Although I am going to confirm that later.... but... if while on a call I wiggle the phone [with the keyboard out wiggle the bottom half independantly from the top half] then I am able to have a conversation with the person calling.

This is the 'oreo' affect that folks used to talk alot about.

That shouldn't be fixed by a partial reset tho. So maybe your problem is different. Gonna try that also on my phone just to be sure.

Palm Pre Backup Utility...done!
    Locate Pre....done!