1.    #1  
    So, yesterday, I had to go out and replace my first Pre. It was my first and it served me well for quite a while. It behaved consistently while overclocked, worked beautifully with CPUScalerUltimate, and in general never gave me any problems I didn't cause by myself.

Anyhow, there is a specific combination of patches, hacks, and circumstances that I believe caused my phone to suddenly fry it's 1xRTT modem out of the blue when I hadn't seen any indication of hardware failure at all up until that point. I can confirm this problem by running the quick diagnostic tests from the Device Info app. It reports a "modem" failure with a code of 20 (not sure what that means)... But at any rate, the phone appears to disable the data connection as soon as it encounters the hardware failure. If I reboot it, I can get 3G coverage for a period of time until I am in an area where it is unavailable, at which point it will try to switch to 1x, and from that point forward, no data connection works until I reboot again (or at least restart Luna, which occasionally works as well).

Before I list the various modifications that I believe led to this hardware failure, I want to point out that I don't consider this to be the "fault" of anyone but myself. I could have prevented this, and I spaced it. With that said, here's the scenario:

(Oh, and I'm not going to list every modification I had installed-- just the ones I consider to be relevant.)

Carrier/Phone: Sprint Pre
    Kernel: Original .sh installation of 800MHz (by caj2008 and unixpsycho)
    Software: CPUScalerUltimate (by number1pete) (scaling from 250MHz to 800MHz)
    Patch: Unthrottle Download Manager
    Activity: Overnight charging on Touchstone-- WiFi on, Roam Only on
    Notes: My reception is mediocre at my home, so roam only is necessary to prevent the phone from constantly switching back and forth.

Just to flesh out my story and the theory behind it-- I initially had observed my phone with just the 800Mhz kernel and found that it did show signs of potential overheating (only while on a touchstone)... so at first I switched it to 720MHz, which seemed to help a little (maybe).

Then, once CPUScalerUltimate surfaced on the scene, I tried that out and found that it drastically improved the overall temperature of the phone all around... So much that I believe I must have become a bit complacent about monitoring the temperature.

Anyhow, a day or so later I installed the Unthrottle Download Manager patch, which I had previously removed from my phone because I felt it was killing my battery life, which CPUScalerUltimate also greatly improved, so I wanted to give it another shot.

Well, transferring data at high speeds seems to make the phone pretty hot. My phone had been behaving so well as of late that I guess I just didn't consider the possibility that the unthrottle patch would make such a difference. Anyhow, when I woke up the next morning, my phone was sitting on the touchstone, beeping frantically about temperature warnings, with a garbled image on the screen and totally unresponsive.

I did a battery pull, and the phone booted, but much slower than normal. When it finally came up, there was no data connection (abnormal), and I haven't seen that little "1x" icon since.

Anyhow, I just got a new Pre, and I'm enjoying the very obvious improvements in build quality... but I certainly learned my lesson here. I should have taken the time to observe the temperature of the device after installing the unthrottle patch before leaving it on the touchstone all night in my house of crappy reception. Or just charged it with a cable to be safe until I had a chance to do so.

I've been pretty good about not being lazy when it comes to these things-- just goes to show that if you get complacent about these things you might end up frying your phone out of the blue.

Hopefully my story can potentially help others avoid the same problem!

Xenoc
    :: Palm III -> Palm IIIc -> Palm Vx -> Samsung SPH-i330 -> Treo 600 -> 650 -> 755p -> Palm Pre (2nd) -> Verizon Pre2::

If you like electronic music... check me out:
    http://www.xenocmusic.com (needs updates ...)
    I charge my phone on a touchstone with the 800 mhz IPK installed with cpuscaler and unthrottle download as well. never ran into a heat problem. Must have been more tied into your poor service with all of that combined than anything else if at all.
    I've also had the unthrottle download patch on for a while. I have yet to experience these issue, but I thank you for both the post and the warnings
    I have been using unthrottle patch for a very long time with no issues
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I have had mine overheat once when charging through the USB port (AC wall adapter) overnight. Slow as molasses in January. Had to pull the battery and let the unit cool for it to become reasonably responsive.

The pre also doesn't do well sitting in the sun (in my car), charging while navigating. .

Mine still works, but running 800 MHz is just another reason to be cautious in environments where overheating can be an issue, especially touchstone charging.

Beware.
    Dan
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    I charge my phone on a touchstone with the 800 mhz IPK installed with cpuscaler and unthrottle download as well. never ran into a heat problem. Must have been more tied into your poor service with all of that combined than anything else if at all.
    Interesting... good to know. I figured that the mediocre reception was a definite factor, but maybe a greater one than I had thought. It's definitely one of the less obvious variables.

People should be wary of how their phone is behaving when they take it somewhere with atypical reception, however... I'd wager the same thing could have happened if I had just spent the night in a hotel room with bad reception... That would have caught me off guard even more.
    Xenoc
    :: Palm III -> Palm IIIc -> Palm Vx -> Samsung SPH-i330 -> Treo 600 -> 650 -> 755p -> Palm Pre (2nd) -> Verizon Pre2::

i thought "unthrottle download manager" is no longer needed in the latest OS updates. How can you tell if this patch is still required? What tests can we do to confirm speed improvements with this patch? TIA.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Nice analysis, good job. The modem is put to sleep and woken repeatedly from my observations, which might be part of the cause. tail -f /var/log/updated.log in a terminal or novacom will show you how frequently various bits of the device are put to sleep - sometimes repeatedly.

Cheers, Steve
    I can second that exact issue, but I am getting a Code 1000 Modem error. I have the following installed:

1. 800 mhz ipk (not the .sh)
    2. CPU scaler (non-paid)
    3. Unthrottle download patch
    4. Roam-only in preferences
    5. Wifi on constantly

I happened to notice this evening that I had the no signal RSSI icon in the top bar (yes, I check Alpha Preware and Precentral more than someone really should...). After uninstalling and reinstalling the overclocking .ipks, the super kernel and service and the UberKernel, I finally went back to the original 800 mhz ipk.

After installing, I went into the quick tests and got the same modem 1000 error. This prompted me to go into the scaling app, and remove the speed and scaling, changing it back to 500. I then went in and changed the preferences to roam only, and it worked. I then changed the speed to 600 with no scaling, and it still works.

What this tells me is that throughout the process of installing and reinstalling different kernels, I have something stuck somewhere, that is causing the 1x modem to shut off. Anyone know where to check?

This may or may not have been the same issue, but I thought it strange to have happened with 2 identical Sprint Pre's with the same tweaks applied, as well the same extremely spotty coverage.

If I set the scaling app to actually scale, it turns off the modem. If I close scaling and just set up to 800 mhz, all good.
    Last edited by arkieboy; 04/24/2010 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Edit:
    I also encountered the modem error with my device displaying "Phone Offline". I freaked the hell out.

I fixed it by enabling and then disabling Airplane Mode, which restarted the modem.
    Wish I would've thought of that.
    I think we all see how hot it gets when using the touchstone. However, all the battery alarms I've seen are looking at battery temp. Does anyone know if we can check actual CPU temp? Also, do we know where each radio is located? If the phone or wifi radios would be more affected by a hot battery or a hot cpu (and if the battery and CPU would heat up at different rates?

I've made it a habit to open the slider on my phone when it is on the touchstone to provide some additional surface area for air movement. That seems to provide some minor help.

I know that it is always best to be in airplane mode overnight (there is a patch for that). I've fallen asleep playing on-line games and that kills the battery while driving the temp way up. Something about the constant request from the game to see if I want to re-join seems to really harm the battery and run up temps. Even if it switches to airplane mode, the game seems as if it keeps trying to access the radio. the lesson there is to stop playing with my phone after dinner and let the poor thing have a break...
    I have had a problem with just the unthrotle patch and the phone going off line. I had to call sprint and do the whole mls number reset thingy.
    I took the Unthrottle Download Manager patch off my Pre. It was getting too hot.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I think we all see how hot it gets when using the touchstone. However, all the battery alarms I've seen are looking at battery temp. Does anyone know if we can check actual CPU temp?
    The stock kernel does not include support for the CPU temperature. I believe the Preware patched kernel(s) do, but I'm not sure if they're out of the testing feed yet.

Cheers, Steve
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by arkieboy View Post
    I can second that exact issue, but I am getting a Code 1000 Modem error. I have the following installed:

1. 800 mhz ipk (not the .sh)
    2. CPU scaler (non-paid)
    3. Unthrottle download patch
    4. Roam-only in preferences
    5. Wifi on constantly

I happened to notice this evening that I had the no signal RSSI icon in the top bar (yes, I check Alpha Preware and Precentral more than someone really should...). After uninstalling and reinstalling the overclocking .ipks, the super kernel and service and the UberKernel, I finally went back to the original 800 mhz ipk.

After installing, I went into the quick tests and got the same modem 1000 error. This prompted me to go into the scaling app, and remove the speed and scaling, changing it back to 500. I then went in and changed the preferences to roam only, and it worked. I then changed the speed to 600 with no scaling, and it still works.

What this tells me is that throughout the process of installing and reinstalling different kernels, I have something stuck somewhere, that is causing the 1x modem to shut off. Anyone know where to check?

This may or may not have been the same issue, but I thought it strange to have happened with 2 identical Sprint Pre's with the same tweaks applied, as well the same extremely spotty coverage.

If I set the scaling app to actually scale, it turns off the modem. If I close scaling and just set up to 800 mhz, all good.
    Very interesting... Did you reset the phone anywhere in there, or did it just start working immediately upon changing the scaling settings?

I just tried this (without a device reset) on my broken Pre and the issue is still present... but as you noted it's hard to say how related our two issues are, despite how similar the circumstances that led to them happen to be..

All of my problems followed a very obvious device hardware failure due to heat, while yours seem to have surfaced due to changes in your device software, right?

I wonder what the difference between the code "20" and code "1000" in the diagnostic tests represents...
    Xenoc

17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I think we all see how hot it gets when using the touchstone. However, all the battery alarms I've seen are looking at battery temp. Does anyone know if we can check actual CPU temp? Also, do we know where each radio is located? If the phone or wifi radios would be more affected by a hot battery or a hot cpu (and if the battery and CPU would heat up at different rates?

I've made it a habit to open the slider on my phone when it is on the touchstone to provide some additional surface area for air movement. That seems to provide some minor help.

I know that it is always best to be in airplane mode overnight (there is a patch for that). I've fallen asleep playing on-line games and that kills the battery while driving the temp way up. Something about the constant request from the game to see if I want to re-join seems to really harm the battery and run up temps. Even if it switches to airplane mode, the game seems as if it keeps trying to access the radio. the lesson there is to stop playing with my phone after dinner and let the poor thing have a break...
    That's true, all of the temperature warning patches that I'm aware of at the moment are based on Battery temperature. With the WebOS Internals Uber-Kernel that was recently released, the actual CPU temperature can be read. Using that plus the new Govnah app they are working on (great!) gives you a very nice graph of the actual CPU temp, plus a dynamic app-icon that you can place on your quick launch bar if you want to be able to quickly check the temp. Last I checked, all of this stuff is available through their testing feed only, so you have to add that as a new feed manually to see them in Preware.

It seems to me that the touchstone really starts to get hot when the battery reaches 100% and it starts doing that drain-charge-drain-charge cycle. I don't know much about how it works, but it would be interesting to know if the settings for how the Pre handles "topping off" the battery while on the touchstone could be tweaked to give the phone more time to drain (and cool) before it starts charging again.
    Xenoc

Surely SOMEone's taken their pre apart to see where stuff goes?