Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    can someone make a patch/app to play .avi files?

i'v got a ton of them (yes, I know they can be converted to mp4).... thought coreplayer for webos was inthe works, but that was ages ago...

thanks
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
    video/audio codecs are done via gstreamer modules on webos. Webos internals is working on audio codecs and might be working on video as well. That said, a lot of videos downloaded from the internet are already in pre-useable codecs just wrapped in an avi container.
    to clarify. Avi,mp4,mov,etc. Are container formats. You don't have to reencode to change containers as you are just changing the information about the video, not the actual video. Xvid,x264,mpeg4 asp,etc are codecs. Most modern codecs are mpeg4-based which webos can play
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    ok, but i can't play avi files on my Pre....they still need to be converted to mp4....

or you saying there is an easier way??
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
    I'm saying that, in many cases, you don't have to spend an hour converting the video stream. A movie file consists of three parts. A container, a video stream, and an audio stream. Most avi files use an mpeg4 video stream, so all you need to change is the container. And maybe spend a mintute or two reencoding the audio to aac. I use avidemux. It lets you choose to just copy the video stream and then choose mp4(psp) as your container then save video as whateveryouwant.m4v
    use the m4v extension, not mp4. They both indicate mp4 however, mp4 can also indicate an audio file, so if you give your file a .mp4 extension it will pop up in the music player too.
    just a heads up though, this won't work on every file. Some xvid/divx videos use special settings that make them incompatible with generic mpeg4 video decoders.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    thanks very much....will give it a go this evening.
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Still forcing some form of conversion though. There must be a reason all the torrents come as .avi's. I get 3-4GB of .avi's and .mkv's per day and have well over a terabyte of them lying around. I just want to drag and drop. Please just give us TCMP again....please please pretty please with sugar on top!
    M100=> 180 => 270 => 600 => 650 => 680 => 680 => 680 => Pre(GSM Pre minus)=>Galaxy S2 32GB
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    exactly what are the spec for what a mp4 needs to be? I have some psp movies that when I open them in gspot they're are no different (aside from resolution) than ipod videos, but the ipod video play on my pre and the psp don't. i heard the files having spaces may have something to do with it, i tried renaming and still nothing. any help?