View Poll Results: Would you be interesting new text input method!

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, if it's faster and easier than a regular virtual keyboard!

11 73.33%
  • No, I just refuse to use any kind of virtual keyboard no matter how easy they make it!

4 26.67%
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I've read recently and article about to features on Android phones and I have been watching a TV commercial with a Samsung phone that uses this feature.

It's a virtual keyboard that uses a swiping motion to input the keystrokes on a keyboard.

Has anyone seen this TV commercial.

It seems that feature is called Swype and SlideIT.

You just run you finger along a path on the keyboard, so there is no need to hit a certain spot on the screen to aim at a particular key.

As I said, you slide your finger from key to key to type out your words. And the software figures out what letter you are trying to type.

Is this something that WebOS should be considering to implement?

It implied that it a very fast and accurate way of using a Virtual Keyboard!

EDIT UPDATE:

Here is link to a demo of it from the two companies that makes it for various mobile phones (WebOS not on their list):

SlideIT:
    http://www.dasur.co.il/Product/SlideIT/SlideIT.php

Swype:
    http://www.swypeinc.com/index.html

Any comments or opinions on this feature?

Rob
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 04/23/2010 at 01:49 PM.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

i definitely saw this commercial, but i don't know if i'd agree that it is faster. i think typing quake with two thumbs is much quick than swiping all the way across the keyboard 4 times. now the fact that i have to reposition my hands - from holding with one hand and using the touchscreen with the other to holding the keyboard with both hands - may save some time. i don't think it's going to catch on, though. i was thinking about developing a quick little virtual keyboard that did this just to see how efficient i could make it, but i really don't think it would be worth the time.
    My site: Shanerooni, LLC
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
    I've always considered myself VERY keyboard dependent, which is one of the reasons I've stuck with Palm as long as I have... I have long nails and it makes capacitive touchscreen keyboards quite a challenge.

BUT... the other day my friend was showing off his HTC HD2 (sweet!) and showing me the Swype keyboard. I have to tell you, I was flying on that keyboard in no time! Still not as fast as I can two-handed type on a BB or my Pre... but fast enough that dreams of an Evo have been creeping in ever since! I didn't think I would ever consider a virtual keyboard... but try it before you decide... it may change your mind.
    Tina T
    MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, VCP

Sharp Zaurus > Cassiopeia A-20 > Casio E-115 > Psion 3 > Phillips VELO 1 > Palm V > Treo 90 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G > Samsung Epic 4G > HTC EVO 4G Shift & a rooted Nook Color!! (But still have nothing but love and hope for Palm)
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I have an Droid Eris and was able to get in on the beta for Swype and I'm telling you it IS FASTER! I love my Pre, but having Swype on my Droid has made me a believer in not wanting a physical keyboard on my phone anymore! In fact, since I do all my texting on my Pre, it bugs me that I can't use Swype for all the input!

I don't know about SlideIT, but the tests for Swype show a possible typing speed of up to 45wpm -and it is true! When I show people how it works, they are amazed at the speed with which i can type. The best part is, I don't have to use 2 fingers -I can type with one hand again!!! Plus, I don't have to look at the screen as much since...it also doesn't require you to be completely precise on hitting buttons -it has a very smart T9-like service it uses.
    I would love to see a developer make a virtual keyboard with that fearure. I think it would be a nice "bonus" on top of my physical keyboard. I love the keyboard, but there are times where I'd rather use my virtual leyboard for a quick input and don't have to worry about sliding my keyboard out and kick off my case (Seidio case is on its last leg).

I think I'd like Swype, but it's not enough to make me leave WebOS.
    I really want to try this.
  7.    #7  
    Well, I'm glad then that I started this thread.

Maybe we can draw some attention to this feature from one of the developers, at least to discuss the feasibility of getting it programmed for the Pre.

I never created this thread as a 'Application' request or 'Feature' request.

Maybe I should add voting to this thread, if I do, how should I word it?

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Looks very very interesting.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Swype is THE best for input. Used it on my touch pro before pre what was great was it's word recognition. Now that was with a stylus so hard to say how cap screens do but I'm interested
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I finally managed to get SlideIT on my phone, I also must say it's a great application... you can actually type much, much, faster if you know where the letters are located. you get used to it after a few text messages.
    Two of the main reason I like SlideIT are that it allows the qwerty to be displayed in portrait mode (instead of the T-9) and that it supports Spanish wonderfully. Half of my texts are sent in Spanish, and it has performed beautifully so far.

There is one major factor that I have noticed with both Swype and SlideIT It's the memory usage.
    Swype 9.19 MB
    SlideIT 1.85 MB
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin1 View Post
    I finally managed to get SlideIT on my phone
    What phone did you get this on?

It was not a WebOS phone was it?

As far as I know, they don't have it for WebOS and I'm am trying to see if we WebOS users would like to get those companies interested in Palm WebOS.

I went to each of their websites and wrote a message asking them to consider developing for WebOS.

If were are to ever get the chance to try this on our Pre's or Pixi's we need to let them know we want this.

I left links in the original message to help everyone understand what this is and also to provide a way to communicate to them our interest.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3