Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone else have take issue with the Ad Blocker[patch]? I know it blocks AdMob ads in your apps. This seems pretty disrespectful and an unethical thing to do to other programmers. I'm sure there are many reason a developer can't charge for their app.
    Last edited by gobanjoboy; 04/22/2010 at 10:11 PM.
    I have no issue with the patch. Not everyone has a carrier with an unlimited data plan; the bandwidth that some advertisements use is non-trivial for some people.

Cheers, Steve
    Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    I think it's awesome!!! Nobody likes ads and in my eyes it's disrespectful and unethical for developers to put them in.
    Are the developers getting paid either way? I am not familiar with how they work. If they are being blocked before they get to my Pre, why would I take issue?

No different then blocking ads on my w web browser.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    I think a dev has every right to try to get funded through ads. It is their own app, after all, and if it has ads, that probably means they developed and released it for free. Therefore, they have every right to put whatever they want in their app, just like the user has every right not to download it.

On the same note, I believe the user has every right to install this patch and not see the ads they don't ever plan on going to in the first place. It is, after all, the user's device, and they can do with it as they please.

Just my $0.02
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    Are the developers getting paid either way? I am not familiar with how they work. If they are being blocked before they get to my Pre, why would I take issue?

No different then blocking ads on my w web browser.

They get paid per click on an ad. Those who get paid pre view, don't get paid if its not loaded.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    personally, if there were some control of the type of ads that came through it would be one thing, but for a lot of folk 'adult type' ads are not OK when they have kids that want to play the games on their phones.

The ads taking away from an individuals data plan is another REALLY good point.

Finally providing a free version of an App alongside a pay version of the same App is more profitable than using Ads.

Furthermore these ads just perpetuate the larger problem of SPAM and unsolicited emails on the internet....which in turn is responsible for a lot of the malware and spyware that is out there.

With that in mind, I will do what ever it takes to defeat Ads.

You'll have to find a better way to make money.

Palm Pre Backup Utility...done!
    Locate Pre....done!
    Said from someone who's probably to cheap to pay for apps and doesn't think developers need to be rewareded for their efforts.
    Quote Originally Posted by orizzle View Post
    I think it's awesome!!! Nobody likes ads and in my eyes it's disrespectful and unethical for developers to put them in.
    If companies can track where the hits are coming from and they don't see any benefit of paying webos developers to use their ads because everyone is blocking them on their phones, then why would they continue to pay the developer? And in turn that would push the developer to develop a free but very limited trial and then the real paid app. Or a trial with an expiration.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Sorry. My device. I'll control what sites it is able to contact, thanks. I block ads just like I block malware. I consider them the same, actually. I prefer to use my bandwidth and cpu cycles for useful things.

That said, the patch you are talking about doesn't even get many of the admob ads, for example. I have my own that does, however.
    : (){:|:&};:
    If you don't want to view ads in a free app, then don't use it or pay for the full version. Otherwise, you are robbing devs of the only way they have to make money for their work. It is basically a form of theft.

Look at the following. Is it really so bad to have to look at a tiny banner ad for a few seconds?

Quit being selfish babies and think of the people that bust their ***** to make the apps you use. If devs can't make any money, they won't develop the apps you want, so you're just hurting yourselves.

11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    If you don't want to view ads in a free app, then don't use it or pay for the full version. Otherwise, you are robbing devs of the only way they have to make money for their work. It is basically a form of theft.

Look at the following. Is it really so bad to have to look at a tiny banner ad for a few seconds?

Quit being selfish babies and think of the people that bust their ***** to make the apps you use. If devs can't make any money, they won't develop the apps you want, so you're just hurting yourselves.

It is possible to detect adBlocking. What would happen when developers started disabling their apps when ads where block?

Possible Results:
    • People would stop using the free app(nothing lost here, revenue has been blocked anyways).
    • These people would buy the paid version IF there is one. Some apps canít be sold for legal reasons.
    • These people would pirate the paid versions.
    • These people would get mad and slander your app a bad review.
    yes, your device. your option to PAY for an app one way or the other. Have the little bar for an add or not supersizing your happy meal for a couple days. Amazing how little respect people have to devs who put in the time and effort to create apps people want to use. It's usually the same people that b*tch and moan when the app has a flaw or two and they expect the dev to fix it yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Sorry. My device. I'll control what sites it is able to contact, thanks. I block ads just like I block malware. I consider them the same, actually. I prefer to use my bandwidth and cpu cycles for useful things.

That said, the patch you are talking about doesn't even get many of the admob ads, for example. I have my own that does, however.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    that would be cool. the free app can detect an ad blocker and refuse to run or run with a big annoying banner across the app. Better yet would be if the developer of the ad blocker could get a case of the ethics and somehow build into the app a way to detect ads in free apps and not block them.
    Quote Originally Posted by gobanjoboy View Post
    It is possible to detect adBlocking. What would happen when developers started disabling their apps when ads where block?

Possible Results:
    • People would stop using the free app(nothing lost here, revenue has been blocked anyways).
    • These people would buy the paid version IF there is one. Some apps canít be sold for legal reasons.
    • These people would pirate the paid versions.
    • These people would get mad and slander your app a bad review.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post

Yes. That is why, as you recommend, I don't run any apps that use advertising. For preference, the software I run is all open source (preferably GPL), and free as in both liberty and beer. Like, for example... Linux.

I also don't want ads in my web browser. I have no problem with sites delivering whatever HTML they want in response to my request, but I believe it should be my choice what activity my device performs on the input it receives.

Preware Alpha has the option to only show free apps, FWIW.

Cheers, Steve
    I have no issue with this patch. My sole reason for using this patch is to block ads on websites. It's unfortunate this patch blocks ads in applications. Developers deserve to be compensated for their hard work. Especially when their work product is free to the community minus a few annoying ads.

However, I fail to see how this patch is any different than blocking ad sites on a pc. When individuals have the ability to control their device and their user experience they will. This is a big reason I bought a Pre+ instead of an iphone. Developers are smart. If this patch really affected them they would find a way around it.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    that would be cool. the free app can detect an ad blocker and refuse to run or run with a big annoying banner across the app. Better yet would be if the developer of the ad blocker could get a case of the ethics and somehow build into the app a way to detect ads in free apps and not block them.
    The problem with this Patch is; it blocks adServer address device wide. It's using Linux to redirect ad servers to localhost.
    I would not call using the Ad Blocker patch "unethical". I think using it is short-sighted in the sense that it will discourage developers from offering apps that are free to download. Perhaps people don't realize that developers need to put food on the table, just like the rest of us.

If I like an app that is funded by advertising, I'll periodically tap on the ad just to support the developer. It doesn't hurt me any and I hope that it helps the developer so he will make more WebOS apps.
    I think it really lies in what you consider unethical.

I personally have a problem with people trying to sell me things, trying to play off my greed, lust, or gluttony. There is a reason I consider Google a horrible company. So I would probably side with ad-blocker being totally fine, a good app should provide income of its own accord and not rely on ads.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    a good app should provide income of its own accord and not rely on ads.
    Really? How exactly is a free app supposed to generate income if it isn't through ads? I missed the economics class on how to magically generate revenue.

Relying on donations from a tiny fraction of users is not an acceptable solution.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    I think it really lies in what you consider unethical.

I personally have a problem with people trying to sell me things, trying to play off my greed, lust, or gluttony. There is a reason I consider Google a horrible company.
    Yea, I agree. Having a store front with a big sign by the road is also unethical. Malls are the worst. A mall brings all these store together in one convenient place making to super easy to feed our greed, lust, and gluttony. Okay, maybe pizza delivery or maybe even UPS, Fedex and the Internet are the worst. They make it so easy you don't even have to leave your house. They are even making us lazy. How can one reset that?
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast