Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1.    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Just downloaded the latest update to 'People at WalleyWorld'. Guess what... it checks for adblocking and displays a nice notice if it detects an adblocker.

Kudos to the developer. This is a good compromise to make both sides happy.
    I chose not to be harsh.
    Every time I fly in a plane I don't have a data connection for hours at a time. If I were to theoretically use an app with advertising while in that situation, then the advertisements would not load for those hours that I used the app. Am I cheating the developer out of their ad payments? Is it "unethical" for me to use the app if it is dependent on a data connection that I knowingly don't have?
  3.    #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by webfellow View Post
    Every time I fly in a plane I don't have a data connection for hours at a time. If I were to theoretically use an app with advertising while in that situation, then the advertisements would not load for those hours that I used the app. Am I cheating the developer out of their ad payments? Is it "unethical" for me to use the app if it is dependent on a data connection that I knowingly don't have?
    I would say no. I would say this is by design. The developer designed the app to show you ads when there was a data connection. I personally would not put ads on an app that worked offline.
    now that would be interesting...if the program senses an ad blocker then in the ad's place is a constant reminder:
    "Blocking this ad can rob me of revenue that allows me to continue develoment of this program and keep it free, to you, the user."

No way to block that.
    I like to support developers (of GOOD apps), but if a developer puts ads in their app at all then I instantly hate them. It's nothing personal, but I'll spit on your grave. I hate ads. I grew up in America, so 1/4th of my life is spent looking at ads for things I will never even consider buying. Ads simply don't work with me.

If ads were deemed illegal and/ or banished to a netherworld by Thor himself, I would sleep ever more soundly at night. If the world economy collapsed because of it, oh well. The world turned before ads and it will turn after such things have long since past.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Just downloaded the latest update to 'People at WalleyWorld'. Guess what... it checks for adblocking and displays a nice notice if it detects an adblocker.

Kudos to the developer. This is a good compromise to make both sides happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by gobanjoboy View Post
    I chose not to be harsh.
    I just downloaded the latest update to 'People at WallyWorld' as well, pretty annoying now but could be worse. Looks like I might be making my own version of this app now that doesn't have this "feature" (glad I've learned enough to do so) or I may just delete the app all together, I've only used it about 5-10 times since it initially came out so I'm sure I'll live without it. Either way, I respect gobanjoboy's decision because it's his app.

I understand both sides of this debate, but prefer to not get too involved as I think that it's a never ending argument. Just kind of blows my mind though. The developer who created this patch in question has contributed more to the webOS/precentral community than some of these developers ever could/will. He doesn't fill his apps and utilities with ads, doesn't charge a dime for them either. Instead offers a nice, often clicked donation button. I do believe that a good quality and useful application will practically sell itself. These types of developers should be supported.

I love webOS, open source, and the great developers that actually have a passion developing for it.
    Last edited by mjkjr; 04/27/2010 at 11:28 AM.
    The question is, how often are those donate buttons pressed. People keep clamoring for free apps. People get annoyed when they have to pay for apps. I don't understand the philosophy. If someone develops an app, they should be paid for their efforts. They respond to people's complaints, keep it updated and so on. If people don't want to pay for it yet continue to use it on a regular basis, there's something fundamentally wrong with their thought process.

If people want it to be free and the developer would like to see some return on his investment, then the user should have to deal with an advertisement, or in case when using an ad blocker, I nice but somewhat obtrusive message stating something about the issue.

If you don't like seeing ads in a program and don't want to pay for an app, then you really have zero right to complain in any way shape or form.

Some guys just consider payment a nicety and are fine with a donate button and just hope enough people are considerate enough to donate. But not everyone feels some sort of ethical responsibility to donate for an app they use on a regular basis.

So if you don't want to pay and don't want ads, then get off your **** and develop your own app and put it on the market.

Personally I think there should always be two options, a free one and a paid one. I'd personally keep the free one limited or have an expiration date on it and forgo the advertising. If they long for it after the expiration date, they'll pony up for it. That's if I'm a developer looking to get paid for my efforts. We're talking a few bucks here. Not like PalmOS days when apps were $20+ dollars. Even DTG on Android can be had for $10.

Some might think the Donate button is "often" clicked, but I bet the percentage that take the small effort to click on that button is a bit on the low side.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    i would never use admob in an app. i would pay the $50 to submit a free version, and another $50 for the cheap paid version. that said, i DO believe that using the patch to block adds is (imo) theft. why is that any different than taking a trial version that's dated and removing the few lines of code to continue using it? it's not, so don't try to justify it.

my favorite games on the pre (other than the ones i make ) are A Solitare Suite and Air Traffic Lite. they both have adds. i deal with it. sometimes the dev gets lucky and i accidentally hit the add! 99% of the time i'm playing a free app.

if the adds are not suitable for children, remove the app. there are plenty out there that are for kids and don't have adds.
    My site: Shanerooni, LLC
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
    Quote Originally Posted by shanerooni View Post
    i would never use admob in an app. i would pay the $50 to submit a free version, and another $50 for the cheap paid version. that said, i DO believe that using the patch to block adds is (imo) theft. why is that any different than taking a trial version that's dated and removing the few lines of code to continue using it? it's not, so don't try to justify it.
    Controlling what one's device connects to on an untrusted network is theft? Interesting. Also, not to be petty, but it's spelled 'advertisements' so the shorthand would be 'ads' not 'adds'. That makes my head hurt every time I see it.
    : (){:|:&};:
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    You subtly imply that it's somehow less noble to want to make money from the software we develop. Do you give away your security services away to anyone and everyone "out of love"?

Despite your hyperbole, an app serving a tiny ad every few minutes is hardly "running rampant". If you don't want an app to serve a few kb of data, then simply don't use it.
    I've written thousands of lines of code for both non-technical communities I am a member of, as well as some more technical stuff for Internet users at large. I didn't get paid for it, or for the bandwidth on my own network these used, or the systems administration needed to put it up.

But that has nothing to do with this conversation, other than if I wanted money for my work, I would have asked. Maybe I would have put up some advertisements. I certainly wouldn't have whined and cried when people didn't load the advertisements on *THEIR* devices. I don't have any more right to force them to download content from *THIRD PARTIES* than they do to put someone else's content into the programs that I write (unless, of course, that's part of the license and they host it themselves).

Ok, if you want to put advertisements in the application, how about you put them *in* the application? That way it's a part of the program. You don't like that, but it's the only way your arguments make any sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    ...so the shorthand would be 'ads' not 'adds'...
    thanks - that was a test just too see if anyone was checking.

Controlling what one's device connects to on an untrusted network is theft?
    so you are claiming that you are not reducing the revenue of the developer? that, to (i did it again), is interesting. you never find anyone who just taps the **** out of the ads just to help a brother out. crazy.
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
  12.    #92  
    you never find anyone who just taps the **** out of the ads just to help a brother out.
    This would be bad anyways. For those who don't know, that's called Click fraud - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpmypre View Post
    In my opinion, ad blocking is the same as pirating or hacking an app.
    Wow.

A bit backwards, methinks. An app that uses ads, by definition, is a trojan. Can't wait till the malicious admob stuff begins to hit our phone. Thanks for being part of the problem.
    This would be bad anyways. For those who don't know, that's called Click fraud - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
    of course i meant because you are so intrigued by the ad titles, and want to see what they have to offer... i'd never condone this "click fraud"... i do go out of my way to click on the paid link when i do a google search even if the same unpaid link is right below it. google loves me.
    Follow me on Twitter
    Cubix
  15.    #95  
    An app that uses ads, by definition, is a trojan. Can't wait till the malicious admob stuff begins to hit our phone. Thanks for being part of the problem.
    Could you please enlighten everyone on what that definition is and how it applies? You made a pretty bold statement.
  16.    #96  
    of course i meant because you are so intrigued by the ad titles, and want to see what they have to offer... i'd never condone this "click fraud"... i do go out of my way to click on the paid link when i do a google search even if the same unpaid link is right below it. google loves me.
    I know you weren't. I was just riding your train of thought.. to inform others..
    I use a dnsmasq on my router to block ads on anything connected to my network. Is that theft?
    This is a stock feature in the device. By fast forwarding you have not altered the natural functionality of the product.
    Um, /etc/hosts is a 'stock feature' of our devices. Or are you saying that we can never change data or configuration files on our phones? Sure would be hard to add contacts, or even connect to the home wifi with that line of thinking. For example, at home when connecting to Wifi, the phone uses a resolv.conf that points at my name server. This is how things work. Yup, that server also has some features that stop resolution of names to malicious and advertising sites. I did that without even touching my /etc/hosts file on the device itself. Heck, your own phone wouldn't see the ads either, if it was on *MY* network. Would you then be mad at yourself? No content is being changed. Nothing is being hacked. We simply aren't allowing the device to resolve hostnames that point to crap we don't want to see.

See how that works? Do you work in an office somewhere? What is your stance on the blocking that likely goes on there? How about the fact that your ISP likely filters the SMB protocols, at the very least? What if the ads you want for your revenue were hosted on SMB shares on the Internet? (silly example, but it's somewhat the same thing).
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Two things were surprising about a webOS ad blocker:
    A. Why did it take so long?
    B. Why is there only one?

- Craig
    Well, same method, but there are certainly more than one

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post2295831
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyb81 View Post
    If I own a Palm Pre, by itself I cannot block ads, I download a piece of software to alter the functionality of the Pre to let me block ads.
    No you didn't. No functionality was altered whatsoever. You just put a bunch of hostnames in a standard /etc/hosts file.

That's like saying "I altered the functionality of my word processor by typing a letter to my grandma". uh, what?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast