1.    #1  
    Has anyone tried to "unmount" the cryptofs directory on the Pre and mount everything under a directory over the /media/internal filesystem?

I did it hoping to have better battery life and faster boot up, and well, I cut my boot times from 5 minutes to about 3, so it's a nice start.

Any implications that anyone know? I lost the pages where all my apps are installed, but at least they are there, on the first page.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    /media/internal is a DOS (FAT) file system, and does not have support for Linux file permissions without help from something like FUSE. The folks in the webos-internals sub-forum here are attacking this problem, since their Debian chroot environment (needed for X-windows support) is currently limited to running inside a loopback-mounted Linux EXT3 partition file.....
  3.    #3  
    I know about the permissions, but /media/internal is mounted with exec bit enabled, and the webOS apps, well, they aren't too picky about permissions

Either way, it has been working fine. I'll have to return everything anyway when (and if) I ever update to 1.4.1.x or later (with Telcel who knows, it's almost been a month and we are still at 1.4).
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Has anyone tried to "unmount" the cryptofs directory on the Pre and mount everything under a directory over the /media/internal filesystem?

I did it hoping to have better battery life and faster boot up, and well, I cut my boot times from 5 minutes to about 3, so it's a nice start.

Any implications that anyone know? I lost the pages where all my apps are installed, but at least they are there, on the first page.
    Not a good idea, it will cause wonkiness down the road (you've already seen it starting with apps disappearing).

A better fix, if you're willing to play, is to comment out /media/internal from the fstab, reboot, delete the LV for store-media, recreate it smaller, mkdosfs the LV, uncomment from fstab, reboot, and you have lots of space now in the store VG. Create a new LV for your use and mount appropriately (and add to fstab). You can also keep some space to hand in the VG to extend other LVs as you need (hint: resize2fs against the device name, not the mount point).

If you want to try just copying stuff across to dummy the system into using your new LV, something like:

Code:
    mount /dev/mapper/store-somelv /mnt
    (cd /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications && tar -cf - ./ ) | ( cd /mnt && tar -xvf - )
    umount /mnt
    Then edit your fstab to mount somelv on the applications directory after cryptofs and Robert should be your father's brother.

I say this without actually testing it myself, but you shouldn't lose any data (unless you don't back up /media/internal before deleting it ) as you're mounting your new LV on top of the cryptofs. If it fails you will just go back to your original cryptofs files (with the caveat that after a while, the files will be out of date and if you go back to cryptofs your pre will think it's gone back in time).

That said... I have been poking about in the cryptofs code thanks to a suggestion from someone else and it looks like there may be an optimisation possible to reduce the overhead. As the specific details are reasonably public knowledge (if you're willing to go grovelling through mailing lists) I would not be entirely surprised if there's an OTA update that has an update to the cryptofs code (hurrah for open source, and hurrah for Palm for taking that route).

Cheers, Steve
  5.    #5  
    mmm... Nah, too much hassle
    I guess I'll better return to cryptofs, I don't want to have an OTA update and get things messed up!

Thanks for the suggestion tho, maybe sometime down the road I'll try it.

Soooo great to have a so open phone! Palm, Thanks!!!
  6.    #6  
    Well, after some testing I stomped into a wall, App Catalog refused to install anything, my guess is that in this version it was looking for cryptofs in the mounted filesystems, and as it didn't find it, it reported the remaining space as 0, (it kept complaining about no space left).

I returned my data to the encrypted portion and App Catalog began working fine again!

Too bad it didn't work, anyway, it wasn't 2 minutes, it helped just about a minute for the boot time
    I figured the encrypted filesystem had a big impact in the increased boot times. Next hardware needs fast hardware encryption / decryption!
  8.    #8  
    Yeah, me too, that was the idea, and it almost worked

Too bad I couldn't find anything useful in the app catalog app, maybe it's hardcoded in some closed service