Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My goodness, I submitted my little app early Thursday morning and I haven't heard a thing. Now if this was a free service, that would be different. Why can't they hire some people with the $50 I paid them, if they have such a backlog?

Do they think that developers want to pay $50 to get a free app in their catalog, and then wait a week or more to get it published? How long does it typically take? I think 24 hours would be plenty long enough. I bet they don't spend more than 10 minutes reviewing my little app. Maybe they will surprise me, but I'm not expecting any activity over the weekend.

This is very discouraging to me. They need to get their act together. Do they want people to develop for this platform or not?

Sorry for the rant, but I expect a little service when I'm paying $50 to get a free app published. I think I should be able to get a free app in their catalog for free. Nevertheless, I'm willing to pay, but come on, I don't see any reason for such a long wait. Unless they are just banking the money and not hiring enough people to deliver the service.

Some people who have apps in the catalog, how long did it take for you?
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Palm is a small company and their review team works pretty hard. It usually takes a week to get reviewed. Be patient.
  3.    #3  
    A week? Now, why would it take a week, other than just not hiring enough people? And if they don't hire enough people, I would imagine it will only get worse as (hopefully) more apps are developed.

Do they want to grow, or stay a small company forever?
    If you submit it on a Thursday, then expect it to arrive next week. If you submitted it earlier in the week, then it would probably arrive that week.

Given Palm's current financial status, I wouldn't expect them to be hiring any new app reviewers, so I would expect the app review time to stay the same or possibly increase in the near future if the number of app submissions increase.. The company I work for went through a similar financial crisis a few years ago (actually it was probably worse) and when that happens, management's number one priority is controlling costs. This will lead to salary freezes (or possible drops), hiring freezes, and it could lead to layoffs.
    Last edited by DanPLC; 04/17/2010 at 08:57 AM.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Dude, Apple was having apps for a MONTH before approving...BE PATIENT!!! It's one thing to rant, it's entirely different to whine about it. You CAN submit a free app for FREE -keep it open source and you can! Besides, your $50 doesn't JUST pay for ONE person to review YOUR app.

While I greatly appreciate your efforts in developing for webOS, I'm also quite disappointed in your obvious lack of patience as well as your respect for a system that has worked MUCH better than other company's processes AND has kept an open mind regarding developers.

Instead of raging on about your frustration, why not just enjoy your victory of completing an app????
    Turn around time for Apple is typically two weeks right now. With webOS I have seen 3-4 days for a new app and 2-3 for an update.
    remember, your $50 includes a thorough review of the app, plus reviews for any subsequent updates. palm, even though they are a small company, probably has some pretty good overhead rates being in sunnyvale, ca (my company has an office on the same block). so, the loaded rate for the employee(s) reviewing the app times the number of potential hours they could spend on your app, makes the $50 look like a pretty good deal. you get used to the wait, and try to plan on getting submissions in on monday and hope they post by friday (no updates on the weekend, so you are at the top of the recent list all weekend).

i'm sure they are also bogged down like hell with these updates so that people can stay fresh and on the top of the hot apps competition. look at all the recent updates, there area lot of folks that are looking to stay in the top 21 especially, but still a lot just in the top 221.
    My site: Shanerooni, LLC
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Unless they are just banking the money and not hiring enough people to deliver the service.
    have you seen palm's financials? i doubt banking your app fee money is at the top of their list. they'd really be in trouble if they were looking for app submission fee money to get them through these financial woes.
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
  9.    #9  
    See, I think Palm should not settle for a week turn around time. I see no reason why it should take a week. I don't care if Apple takes a month.

Mediocrity will run them out of business. Do they want their app catalog to grow? Then they need to provide the resources to review the apps in a timely manner. Don't they realize that time is money for businesses? People who make paid apps would really appreciate a quick turn around time.

I am frequently amazed at how quickly and easily people accept mediocrity. People expect and accept buggy apps that lack important features and buggy updates. Of course, the Palm faithful will put up with it, but the masses will go elsewhere. Then there will be no more Palm for any of us.

I just want Palm to succeed, and I think they are going to have to do better if they are to succeed.
    See, I think Palm should not settle for a week turn around time. I see no reason why it should take a week. I don't care if Apple takes a month.

Mediocrity will run them out of business. Do they want their app catalog to grow? Then they need to provide the resources to review the apps in a timely manner. Don't they realize that time is money for businesses? People who make paid apps would really appreciate a quick turn around time.

I am frequently amazed at how quickly and easily people accept mediocrity. People expect and accept buggy apps that lack important features and buggy updates. Of course, the Palm faithful will put up with it, but the masses will go elsewhere. Then there will be no more Palm for any of us.

I just want Palm to succeed, and I think they are going to have to do better if they are to succeed.
    Their turnaround time depends on what the current backlog is.

Remember, this is a business, Tony, and a 5-10 businesses day turnaround on a app submission is top notch compared to the competition. Your $50 app submission doesn't even cover the costs Palm encrues when they QA your app, (assuming QA dept makes $20/hour at a estmiated 4 hours per app review).

Chill out, and your app will be in the App Cat before you know it.

BTW, what's the app?
    Wifi Media Sync 3.0 now available for PC and Mac OSX.
    Nobody's accepting mediocrity, we're not crying because it's been TWO DAYS since you submitted your app. Do you think you're the only developer? They have upgrades to review and check, new apps to review and check (so they probably didn't even get to your app until Friday because they spent that day checking the ones that were submitted the day before), and Palm doesn't often release apps on the weekend. You essentially gave them ONE day to look at your app and them came here to throw a ridiculous tantrum. God, what a whiner.
  12.    #12  
    http://m.forums.precentral.net/web-os-development/238423-app-request-gps-time-stamping.html

Quote Originally Posted by infamousdutch View Post
    Their turnaround time depends on what the current backlog is.

Remember, this is a business, Tony, and a 5-10 businesses day turnaround on a app submission is top notch compared to the competition. Your $50 app submission doesn't even cover the costs Palm encrues when they QA your app, (assuming QA dept makes $20/hour at a estmiated 4 hours per app review).

Chill out, and your app will be in the App Cat before you know it.

BTW, what's the app?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Nobody's accepting mediocrity, we're not crying because it's been TWO DAYS since you submitted your app. Do you think you're the only developer? They have upgrades to review and check, new apps to review and check (so they probably didn't even get to your app until Friday because they spent that day checking the ones that were submitted the day before), and Palm doesn't often release apps on the weekend. You essentially gave them ONE day to look at your app and them came here to throw a ridiculous tantrum. God, what a whiner.
    Wow, you are rationalizing away and don't even reaize it. I guess I'm just a whiner because I want Palm to improve and realize the potential of this great WebOS platform. I guess it would be better if I just take whatever they give me for my $50 and be happy. After all, they are doing me such a favor, just letting me be a customer... Sheesh!

Mediocrity will run them out of business. Do they want their app catalog to grow?
    If a week turnaround (it's actually less than that) is going to run them out of business, then why has it not run Apple out of business when they take even longer to review apps? And why has Apple's app catalog grown if they continue to be "mediocre" in their review times?

If Palm is run out of business, it won't be because of app review times, which are perfectly fine in my opinion. They have other issues (areas of improvement) that they need to focus on to remain competitive in the mobile market.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    I guess it would be better if I just take whatever they give me for my $50 and be happy. After all, they are doing me such a favor, just letting me be a customer... Sheesh!
    you could always save your hard-earned $50 and do web distribution for free. then it is only a few hours to get your app published (just not in the catalog)...
    Follow me on Twitter
    Cubix
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    You think it would be reasonable for Palm to review an app in a few days while a company with more resources takes 3,000% longer to complete a similar task?

On what are you basing the amount of time you think it should take? Have you seen Palm's work schedule? Do you know of any other company on the planet reviewing similar apps that does it faster? Do you have any evidence at all supporting your assumptions?
  17.    #17  
    Here is my evidence: Palm charges $50 to review an app. Do you really think they are spending a week doing it? Give me a break. No, they spend 30 minutes or an hour, on average, and the rest of that time is spent waiting. That is a problem that could easily be resolved. My app is free, but if it were paid, that would be a week of revenue lost for no good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by cfbauer View Post
    You think it would be reasonable for Palm to review an app in a few days while a company with more resources takes 3,000% longer to complete a similar task?

On what are you basing the amount of time you think it should take? Have you seen Palm's work schedule? Do you know of any other company on the planet reviewing similar apps that does it faster? Do you have any evidence at all supporting your assumptions?
    My app is free, but if it were paid, that would be a week of revenue lost for no good reason.
    Yeah, but if you finished your app 3 weeks early, you wouldn't have 3 weeks of lost revenue.
    Follow me on Twitter
    Cubix
    Quote Originally Posted by shanerooni View Post
    Yeah, but if you finished your app 3 weeks early, you wouldn't have 3 weeks of lost revenue.
    +1

Fussing @ us isn't going to
    change Palm's timeline.

What is your app anyway?

Why not kill some time by
    drumming up interest in it?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom2Ninjas View Post
    +1

Fussing @ us isn't going to
    change Palm's timeline.

What is your app anyway?